Stansted to Liverpool

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen

Default Stansted to Liverpool

I'll be arriving at Stansted on a Saturday afternoon and need to
continue on to Liverpool. It's my understanding that buying the rigth
ticket can save quite a bit of cash. So, what is the right ticket and
how do I buy it from outside the UK? The trip is in 3 weeks.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

I'll be arriving at Stansted on a Saturday afternoon and need to
continue on to Liverpool. It's my understanding that buying the rigth
ticket can save quite a bit of cash. So, what is the right ticket and
how do I buy it from outside the UK? The trip is in 3 weeks.

I use thetrainline.com. See if it will let you register from abroad- I
don't know if it does. If so, you can book your ticket and pick it up
from a machine at the trains station. However, there may not be such a
machine available at Stansted- it will let you know when you book.
Checking the trainline, you could get a single for £16.50 which is very
cheap for here. That leaves at 1445.

Frankly, it may not be worth the bother though, and if your flight is
delayed, the ticket will be worthless. Also, on the weekend that journey
is longer than usual. Is your trip only to Liverpool (or the North West)
or did you have to go to London and the south as well? If the former, I
might have advised flying to the northwest direct if possible, but maybe
that wasn't? (or too expensive.)

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

I'll be arriving at Stansted on a Saturday afternoon and need to
continue on to Liverpool. It's my understanding that buying the rigth
ticket can save quite a bit of cash. So, what is the right ticket and
how do I buy it from outside the UK? The trip is in 3 weeks.

I wasn't even thinking that while typing my response to your post, I was
in Liverpool Lime Street Station. I'm on the train now, but it doesn't
leave for another few minutes.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge4

so what ?
Are you gong to tell us when you pee ?

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" a écrit dans le
message de ...

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham[_2_]

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

I'll be arriving at Stansted on a Saturday afternoon and need to
continue on to Liverpool. It's my understanding that buying the rigth
ticket can save quite a bit of cash. So, what is the right ticket and
how do I buy it from outside the UK? The trip is in 3 weeks.

I wasn't even thinking that while typing my response to your post, I was
in Liverpool Lime Street Station. I'm on the train now, but it doesn't
leave for another few minutes.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net- real address on website
"He can't be as stupid as he looks, but nevertheless he probably
is quite a stupid man." Richard Dawkins on Pres. Bush"

I think uk.railway may have more expertise relating to this issue.

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Graham wrote:

[]
I think uk.railway may have more expertise relating to this issue.

Before you followed up to that utter waste of space, Runge4, enabling
all of us who've long ago killfiled him to read his moaning drivel, you
might have cared to notice that I gave quite a detailed reply.

A rudimentary google search would indicate that, indeed, you can buy a
ticket from outside the UK, just not with a foreign registered maestro
card, for some reason. Visa, Mastercard, Amex etc. are fine. Providing
you can get to a fastticket machine, and again, a search of
www.nationalrail.co.uk indicates there is.

There may be other options, but this is certainly one.

Old October 15th, 2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2007-10-03, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

I'll be arriving at Stansted on a Saturday afternoon and need to
continue on to Liverpool. It's my understanding that buying the rigth
ticket can save quite a bit of cash. So, what is the right ticket and
how do I buy it from outside the UK? The trip is in 3 weeks.

I use thetrainline.com. See if it will let you register from abroad- I
don't know if it does. If so, you can book your ticket and pick it up
from a machine at the trains station. However, there may not be such a
machine available at Stansted- it will let you know when you book.
Checking the trainline, you could get a single for £16.50 which is very
cheap for here. That leaves at 1445.

Unfortunately that's 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival of my flight.
At my first attempt at thetrainline it wouldn't let me search, but today
it worked. Unfortunately the fares offered are a far cry from your £16.50
(though they do hint at them). With two of us going, I'm looking at fares
well over £100 return.

Frankly, it may not be worth the bother though, and if your flight is
delayed, the ticket will be worthless. Also, on the weekend that journey
is longer than usual.

I was displeased to see some of the connections offered. 2 1 hour+ waits?
WTF?

After going through countless disappointing options, I finally hit on the
perfect solution (David isn't going to like this): a rental car. Unlimited
miles, full insurance, add the fuel costs and I'm still under the price
of the train. Add the fact that our Liverpool hotel is on the outskirts
and the return flight is at a cruel 7.10 in the morning, the car looks
even better.

I wish I come to this conclusion before making a non-refundable booking
for the last night, at a city-centre hotel. Could have knocked another
£25 of the costs there.

Is your trip only to Liverpool (or the North West)
or did you have to go to London and the south as well? If the former, I
might have advised flying to the northwest direct if possible, but maybe
that wasn't? (or too expensive.)

Well, I had a good laugh at the connections suggested by BA. Two change
of planes, one of them being in Helsinki?
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
. ..

Unfortunately that's 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival of my flight.
At my first attempt at thetrainline it wouldn't let me search, but today
it worked. Unfortunately the fares offered are a far cry from your £16.50
(though they do hint at them). With two of us going, I'm looking at fares
well over £100 return.

Just looked at the website of Central Trains, the operating company. Single
tickets at prices from £16.50 are ceratinly available if booked far enough
in advance.

Alan Harrison

Old October 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

Since the OP stated that the trip was in three weeks do you think that
should have been far enough in advance?

Yes. Although my recollection is that he said he was going FOR three weeks.

Central Trains' website is at http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/

Central Value tickets from L'pool (and therefore TO) L'pool) are described
at
http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/uploa...t_LIV%20AW.pdf

The cheapest tickets require booking at least seven days before travel.

Alan Harrison

Old October 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

Following up to my own earlier posts.

Digging a little bit, I discover that an enquiry on Central Trains website
for trains between Stansted and Liverpool redirects the user to
thetrainline.com, which insists on routings through London by One Railway
and Virgin Trains, rather than Central Trains' own services via Birmingham.

Since CT certainly runs services between Stansted and B'ham NS and then
between B'ham NS and L'pool, it ought to be possible to do the trip with one
change, but no online timetable wants to show it!

Alan Harrison