So how's business? - A quick look at how the cruise lines are adjusting to the economy

Old March 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default So how's business? - A quick look at how the cruise lines are adjusting to the economy

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"John Sisker" wrote

Just a quick search produced NCL and Carnival. I'm sure George can fill
in the details and book it for you.

IIRC, Jean has booked cruises with at least 4 travel agents who post here
on r.t.c.

I'm guessing you aren't one of them.

Sisker's made so many friends here that he must have a HUGE clientele just
from his advertising here alone...

Oh wait... it's the imaginary lurkers...

--Tom

Old March 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"George Leppla" wrote in message

IIRC, Jean has booked cruises with at least 4 travel agents who post here
on r.t.c.

I'm guessing you aren't one of them.

We can't be. If you recall, Jean was the very first one we found necessary
to include in our short, effective and necessary 'do not service' file, and
for obvious reasons. However, we always thought she was loyal to you anyway.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Unca Pete" wrote in message

"George Leppla" wrote in message
With Europe and Alaska markets fading... and all the new ships coming
out this year, I think it is possible that New Orleans will see another
cruise line... and possibly Galveston, too. I hope so!

George, what is causing the weakness in those markets? I would have
thought Alaska to be one of the more popular destinations.

Too many ships, too high taxes, lack of reliable, inexpensive airlift.

The cruise lines wanted to expand the more exotic markets thinking that
the baby boomers are starting to retire and will be willing to travel.
With the economy in the tank, those boomers are more content to stay
closer to home.

Princess and Holland America are now selling 7 night Alaska cruises
starting at $399 pp.
http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_w...ines-specials/
http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_w...line-specials/

That said, some sailings and itineraries are holding fares pretty well...
especially balcony cabins. It isn't unusual to see a sailing with a $499
inside cabin get $1299 for a balcony.

George, looking at the Princess specials...it's unbelievable! They are
selling insides for the same price as balconies.
As much as I would like to sail from New Orleans, the chance that Galveston
may be getting more ships sounds even better as we can drive...But then we
could drive to New Orleans, but parking is a problem there. We don't take 5
day cruises
anymore because they just are not long enough! It's getting to be that 7
days are too short! That's why I love those transatlantics.
What is sad is that those baby boomers now cannot afford it with their 401Ks
losing as much as half their value; so the cruise lines may have over
estimated their markets. I'm afraid that fares going down will mean that the
service and quality of food will
deteriorate.
Thanks for the info.
--Jean

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"peter" wrote in message
On 3/8/09 4:04 AM, in article ,
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

Are there any sailings from New Orleans now?..We haven't been there since
Katrina and would like to sail from there again.

Jean, check neworleanscruiseguide.com. Click on the calendar link.
You'll see many Carnival departures and a few NCl sailings.

Thanks, Peter, will do!
--Jean

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Unca Pete" wrote in message

[...]

I apologize for following my own post but I meant that they were offering
outsides for the same price as balconies instead of insides.
--Jean

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Unca Pete

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
.
What is sad is that those baby boomers now cannot afford it with their
401Ks losing as much as half their value; so the cruise lines may have
over estimated their markets. I'm afraid that fares going down will mean
that the service and quality of food will
deteriorate.
Thanks for the info.
--Jean

Jean, well, I fall into that category. Unfortunately, while I could
probably
afford it, I am too scared to spend money on vacations and other luxuries
at this point. I think many other folks feel the same way. I could retire
tomorrow and go out on a good pension, but I'm also hesitant to do that.
Maybe I'm part of the problem? VBG..
Pete

Old March 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Unca Pete" wrote in message

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
.
What is sad is that those baby boomers now cannot afford it with their
401Ks losing as much as half their value; so the cruise lines may have
over estimated their markets. I'm afraid that fares going down will mean
that the service and quality of food will
deteriorate.
Thanks for the info.
--Jean

Jean, well, I fall into that category. Unfortunately, while I could
probably
afford it, I am too scared to spend money on vacations and other luxuries
at this point. I think many other folks feel the same way. I could retire
tomorrow and go out on a good pension, but I'm also hesitant to do that.
Maybe I'm part of the problem? VBG..
Pete

Well, Pete, keep that job and go on a cruise and enjoy life is my advice!
;-P
That should keep your pockets full and help the economy too!
--Jean

Old March 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Seehorse Video" wrote in message

Jean,

I'm not sure the food quality or service will deteriorate a bunch, but it
takes $X to take one of those boats away from the dock and the cruise line
will get those dollars from somewhere or no sail. There are dozens of
potential revenue sources on a cruise ship and you can bet the big wheels
play them like a violin to reach profit. They will be hard put to cheat
on food because they have spent decades advertising food. Obviously the
extra charge restaurants are one song on their violin. I'll bet slot
payoffs are another.

I'm sure different ports have different costs connected to them and
different potential passenger markets. That could bode well for N.O. and
Galveston who might be more accommodating than others. By the way, I
thought it was pretty easy to park at N.O. I'm with you on the longer
cruises. We frequently B2B on seven day cruises, but why not 10 and 11
day B2B or 14 day B2B. Only rarely have we found those and they are fun.
Maybe they only work for smaller ships, under 2000 passengers. Then
again, I prefer smaller ships.

Harry Cooper

Harry, the parking of which you speak of in New Orleans...is it at the
ship's terminal or at a certain hotel?
The only thing about back to backs is doing the same itinerary too
soon...I've been to the Caribbean so many times that we have done the same
islands over and over but at least there was a time span between cruises but
the same itinerary twice in two consecutive weeks does not appeal to me. I
would not mind taking the QM2 from NYC to London, if a week later, I could
do the voyage in reverse. A week in London would be great now with the money
exchange being where it is. And not having to fly across the pond is an
additional bonus!

I, too,definitely like the smaller ships...we took the Ren 7 when it was
still alive in 2001, the Pacific Princess twice, the Azamara and Oceania
Regatta once. We liked the Regatta so much that we have booked her on a 12
day Caribbean cruise in March next year.

--Jean

Old March 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/8/09 9:41 PM, in article ,
"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:

I, too,definitely like the smaller ships...we took the Ren 7 when it was
still alive in 2001, the Pacific Princess twice, the Azamara and Oceania
Regatta once. We liked the Regatta so much that we have booked her on a 12
day Caribbean cruise in March next year.

We took the Azamara Quest in January. Not unhappy but it's a bit oversold, I
think. "You have your own personal butler" - but you'll share him with 48
other cabins (not that that affects his service in any way). As good as the
other Celebrity vessels, but, as you said, smaller and therefore more
intimate. We will be sailing the Nautica in March and are really looking
forward to it. What in particular did you like about the Regatta (which I
believe is identical)?