One day cruise stop in Turkey, do you need a visa?

Old March 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default One day cruise stop in Turkey, do you need a visa?

I have seen contradictory answers to this question?

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
I have seen contradictory answers to this question?

http://turkey.visahq.com/
It appears to be required.
Paul Johnson

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
I have seen contradictory answers to this question?

My first call would probably be to the embassy or consulate for the Turkish
understanding of the matter. It's in Turkey that you need to comply.

Harry Cooper

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Mar 21, 7:13*am, (Jeff Gersten) wrote:
I have seen contradictory answers to this question?

you need a visa .. but it was obtained for us upon arrival by the
ship ... They collected passports ... did all the paperwork ... and
kept them aboard the ship so only our onboard card and a photo ID
was needed as with that they referenced the visa and passport ... I
recall having to queue past that visa station just as a matter of form
I guess ... They had a good working relationship with the authorities
it seems ...

Getting back on board both in Ephesus and Istanbul was extremely
easy .. as the Turkish agents were sitting around talking and all
passengers were just walking through ... Probably they were supposed
to checking things ... but couldn't care less ...

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

(number6) wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:13*am, (Jeff Gersten) wrote:

I have seen contradictory answers to this
question?

you need a visa .. but it was obtained for us
upon arrival by the ship ... They collected
passports ... did all the paperwork ... and kept
them aboard the ship so only our onboard
card and a photo ID was needed as with
that they referenced the visa and passport ... I
recall having to queue past that visa station
just as a matter of form I guess ... They had a
good working relationship with the authorities i
t seems ...

Getting back on board both in Ephesus and
Istanbul was extremely easy .. as the Turkish
agents were sitting around talking and all
passengers were just walking through ...
Probably they were supposed to checking
things ... but couldn't care less ...

Thank you, six. That seems to solve the seeming contradiction of some
sources say yes and others say no. Interesting that none of our travel
agents who usually are quick to get their advertising signatures on this
board felt they could answer my question.

My travel agent gave a real CYA answer when I had e-mailed the same
question. The answer was:

I called HAl and they said you do not need a Visa however as mentioned
on the back
of our invoice we recommend you call the Visa service (and then it gave
the phone # of the service and wished me a good weekend)

In other words, I'm telling you no, but in case I'm wrong, I have warned
you you should have called the visa service.

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Mar 21, 6:13*am, (Jeff Gersten) wrote:
I have seen contradictory answers to this question?

Jeff, I think number 6 is right on, as usual. When we entered Turkey
for a land trip, it was simply a paperwork/fee matter at the window as
we went through the immigration line at the airport.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Jeff Gersten" wrote

Thank you, six. That seems to solve the seeming contradiction of some

sources say yes and others say no. Interesting that none of our travel
agents who usually are quick to get their advertising signatures on this
board felt they could answer my question.

Conversely, what is interesting is that you expect immediate expert answers
for free from travel agents you don't do business with... and you don't
trust the travel agent you ARE doing business with.

FWIW, I enjoy answering general questions about the cruise industry, ships,
transfers, pricing, policies etc. But I seldom give exact advice about
someone's specific cruise unless I am familiar with the reservation. I
would be unhappy if my customers felt that they had to go to another travel
agent to get an answer and I would expect that your travel agent would feel
the same way.

Here is a general rule about visas on a cruise. If you need one in advance,
the cruise line will let you know, usually right after final payment has
been made. As usual, there are exceptions, YMMV and no animals were hurt in
the posting of this message. (How's that for CYA).

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"George Leppla" wrote in message

"Jeff Gersten" wrote

[...]

In the past, George and I have been in disagreement on quite a few things,
but this is not one of them. I do agree with George whole heartily, that it
does become somewhat problematic what one simply wants to use the full
services and knowledge of a travel agent, but with no real commitment. Now,
this is not to say or imply that as an agent, we won't go that extra mile to
give what help and advise we can, after all, that's the nature of this
business. Sometimes, we get the booking, sometimes we don't. But remember,
free advice is also worth every penny you pay for it.

Yet, when one already has a travel agent committed to them, but they don't
trust their help and advice, and starts seeking answers elsewhere, then
apparently trust has not been established. Likewise, we all know this is a
numbers game, people are price comparing and seeking all types of
information in order to make the most informed decision. This is to be
expected, and is actually commendable. There is nothing wrong with that. On
the other hand, apparently there was some disappointment that a few of the
travel agents on this newsgroup were not willing to take too much time and
effort in answering such questions and concerns at this time, simply because
one wants answers, but with only a 'give me' attitude.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com