Celebrity Liquor packages?

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Default Celebrity Liquor packages?

Is this a good value? Celebrity offers very little info on
their website, other than cost. They have a couple rules,
and say there are other restrictions but I can't find them.

Looking at possibly a liquor and a beer package. Does it
cover mixed drinks or just straight alcohol?

Clay
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"frijoli" wrote in message
Is this a good value? Celebrity offers very little info on their website,
other than cost. They have a couple rules, and say there are other
restrictions but I can't find them.

Looking at possibly a liquor and a beer package. Does it cover mixed
drinks or just straight alcohol?

Clay

The answer to your question ("Is it good value?") can only be calculated by
you. Here's the formula (verbally):

Determine what you typically spend in dollars, and the number of drinks you
typically consume on an average cruise. That's your baseline.

If you can consume an equal amount of drinks, or even more drinks at a lower
overall price than you typically pay, then it's a good deal.

If it simply encourages you to buy more drinks to the point where your total
spending increases beyond what you normally pay, then it's advantage cruise
line.

Remember that their goal is to get you to spend more than you'd normally
spend (in total) even if they have to give you a few extra drinks to do so
(because it costs them almost nothing to make the drinks).

--Tom

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Tom K wrote:
"frijoli" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Tom. I understood the average drinks per day thing. I
typically limit what I drink because of the cost, not
because of how much I 'would' drink if I could budget for it.
I was wondering if the hidden restrictions were enough to
discourage me as well from buying the package.

I guess what I'm getting at is at 500 dollars for a ten day
cruise is fair if it allows me to drink when I feel like it
and not worry about my tab. having said that, I don't think
i can drink that much by myself, and you can't share!

Clay
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"frijoli" wrote in message

I guess what I'm getting at is at 500 dollars for a ten day cruise is fair
if it allows me to drink when I feel like it and not worry about my tab.
having said that, I don't think i can drink that much by myself, and you
can't share!

Clay

$500 for a 10 day cruise seems pretty steep to me. Depending on where
you're going, drinks in port might be cheaper, so add that to the mix. It's
a lot more fun quaffing a few Dos XX in Coz than waiting to get back on the
ship...

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

The parents of my daughter-in-law cruised with the family on a 14 day
cruise to Hawaii. Their bar bill was right around 1,500.00 but that was
for the 2 of them, plus there were many sea days, and no they are not
alcoholics.

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Carol Eskra" wrote in message
The parents of my daughter-in-law cruised with the family on a 14 day
cruise to Hawaii. Their bar bill was right around 1,500.00 but that was
for the 2 of them, plus there were many sea days, and no they are not
alcoholics.

The cruise lines love people like that. My bar bill us usually closer to
around $16 for the week. Less if I'm on a ship with happy hour included.

$1500 pays for almost 2 more cruises...

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:42:33 -0500, "Tom K"
wrote:

"frijoli" wrote in message

I guess what I'm getting at is at 500 dollars for a ten day cruise is fair
if it allows me to drink when I feel like it and not worry about my tab.
having said that, I don't think i can drink that much by myself, and you
can't share!

Clay

$500 for a 10 day cruise seems pretty steep to me. Depending on where
you're going, drinks in port might be cheaper, so add that to the mix. It's
a lot more fun quaffing a few Dos XX in Coz than waiting to get back on the
ship...

Some friends spent over $1000 in 4 days on the Norwegian Sun. It would
have been a bargain for them, if it covered what they wanted to drink
(mixed drinks and wine, no beer). But it looks like wine is not
included in the liquor package.

I might easily end up ahead with the frozen drinks package ("from 22 USD
per night") in a hot climate. That's only two or three drinks per day.

On the other hand, neither $13.50 per night for bottled water nor $5.75
for soft drinks seems worth the money.

The use of the word "From" implies that it might end up costing more.
Perhaps they add a service charge, and you are probably expected to tip
on top of that.

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Tom K wrote:
It's
a lot more fun quaffing a few Dos XX in Coz than waiting to get back on the
ship...

Agreed!
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

What I resented was when on Costa I was playing blackjack at the 25.00
table and asked for a bottle of water. I expect to pay for my drinks,
but think the cruise line could buy me a bottle of water, instead of
charging I believe it was 3.00.