Channel Tunnel potential disaster

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

Default Channel Tunnel potential disaster

Seems to have been largely under-reported - or not with any great
excitement.
In the Channel Tunnel yesterday 2,000 people were trapped under the
sea, for 15 hours overnight, in the dark, no fresh air, no food or
water and ONE totally swamped loo.
Because of that, traffic was backed up solid for many miles all around
Kent for many hours (still so, as far as I know), with all lorry and
other drivers stuck with their vehicles in freezing temperatures.
Many issues being raised, of course ...
Except for what I consider to be the main one - safety.
What happened to all the emergency plans for evacuation (in the case
of fire or whatever, not simply broken-down trains)?
For xxxxxxxxx sake, all those people could have walked out to Dover or
Calais in less than 15 hours!!!!!
Am I the only person to have even noticed this aspect?
No Channel Tunnel travelling for me in the future, it's a potential
colossal death trap!!!!!
The whole system should be closed down, total, until the management
are shafted and entirely new escape procedures/systems installed.
Just a warning to any potential users of the Chunnel from overseas!!
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Surreyman" wrote in message
[...]

You're overreacting based on overhyped media reports. Yes, there is a
problem and yes there are questions to be answered but calm down.

For a more measured view have a read of the appropriate thread in
uk.railway.

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 20 Dec, 13:06, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

[...]

uk.railway.- Hide quoted text -

Nope.
The distressed people who were actually there were interviewed on TV,
plus all above details are as on BBC news, which does not over-hype.
Are you the PR department of the Chunnel?!

Surreyman
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

Nope.
The distressed people who were actually there were interviewed on TV,
plus all above details are as on BBC news, which does not over-hype.
Are you the PR department of the Chunnel?!

I don't think that there's any doubt that the distressed people were
interviewed.

What is in doubt is this qualifications for deciding if the situation was
safe or not.

I saw the interviews and what they did was *complain* repeatedly about being
left stuck on the train for hours. This may have been uncomfortable for
them, but they aren't in the slightest bit qualified to say that this was
unsafe.

tim

Old December 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Maurice ON4BAM

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 16:26:47 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

I saw the interviews and what they did was *complain* repeatedly about being
left stuck on the train for hours. This may have been uncomfortable for
them, but they aren't in the slightest bit qualified to say that this was
unsafe.

Fortunatelly, Claudia Schiffer was able to get off the train and
continue her trip by car leaving the other passengers stuck "for their
own safety".

The least they could do was provide food, drinks and blankets.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

Nope.
The distressed people who were actually there were interviewed on TV,
plus all above details are as on BBC news, which does not over-hype.
Are you the PR department of the Chunnel?!

I don't think that there's any doubt that the distressed people were
interviewed.

What is in doubt is this qualifications for deciding if the situation was
safe or not.

I saw the interviews and what they did was *complain* repeatedly about being
left stuck on the train for hours. *This may have been uncomfortable for
them, but they aren't in the slightest bit qualified to say that this was
unsafe.

Not qualified? In what sense?
Stuck in a train, no lighting, no food, no water, no heating, people
reduced to urinating in the aisles, one report suggesting they were
advised to "breathe shallowly" panicking passengers, no information,
no ventilation, ... what else might they need be qualified to
recognise 'unsafe'... a degree on it perhaps?

Old December 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

aquachimp wrote:

Not qualified? In what sense?
Stuck in a train, no lighting, no food, no water, no heating, people
reduced to urinating in the aisles, one report suggesting they were
advised to "breathe shallowly" panicking passengers, no information,
no ventilation, ... what else might they need be qualified to
recognise 'unsafe'... a degree on it perhaps?

The worst aspect of this farce was the complete lack of information from
the crew, who seemed to have locked themselves in their cab
incommunicado, till a couple of off-duty cops intervened.
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

wrote:

I saw the interviews and what they did was *complain* repeatedly about
being
left stuck on the train for hours. This may have been uncomfortable for
them, but they aren't in the slightest bit qualified to say that this was
unsafe.

Fortunatelly, Claudia Schiffer was able to get off the train and
continue her trip by car leaving the other passengers stuck "for their
own safety".

The least they could do was provide food, drinks and blankets.

I agree, they were treated appallingly, as are the passengers who have
bookings to travel this week (who appear to have been told not to except to
get to their destination before Xmas).

But none of them are in any position to say that the solution is unsafe

tim

Old December 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Benito 'smacked in the head' Berlusconi

On Dec 20, 1:17*pm, Surreyman
wrote:
[...]

Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring, don't panic'
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default Channel Tunnel over reported potential disaster

yes we do have TV

"Surreyman" a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
[...]

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la
base des signatures de virus 3948 (20090319) __________

Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com