Parasailing

Old January 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jimbobjoe

Default Parasailing

There are 4 of us going on a cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, St.
Maarten, Tortola and Nassau.
Of the five I have picked St. Maarten ( and hope weather is nice).
Is there anyone who has gone parasailing on any of these islands or
combination of and would suggest one of te others?

TIA, Jim

JBJ

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RosalieAnn Beasley

"jimbobjoe" wrote in message
There are 4 of us going on a cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, St.
Maarten, Tortola and Nassau.
Of the five I have picked St. Maarten ( and hope weather is nice).
Is there anyone who has gone parasailing on any of these islands or
combination of and would suggest one of te others?

TIA, Jim

I've only been parasailing at one of the private islands in the Bahamas.
I've seen people parasailing in the Virgin Islands.

I think if would pick either Tortola, St. Thomas or St. Maarten because the
beaches where you would be would be closer to the ship. It would depend on
what else I might want to do at those ports. I would not want to do it in
Nassau or San Juan.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BrianK

On 12/31/2007 9:50 PM jimbobjoe did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
There are 4 of us going on a cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, St.
Maarten, Tortola and Nassau.
Of the five I have picked St. Maarten ( and hope weather is nice).
Is there anyone who has gone parasailing on any of these islands or
combination of and would suggest one of te others?

TIA, Jim

JBJ

Be sure that your life insurance, and health insurance is paid up. I
wasn't there to see it. In Cancun a woman signed up for parasailing.
After she got airborne she panicked and started pulling on things. She
wound up steering right into the side of a high-rise hotel. Needless to
say, she didn't live to tell the tale. If you've never done this before,
be sure that you don't have any doubts as they are setting you up. I
would choose someone who's been in business for a few years. Talk to
some people who've just finished doing it. You might even google some
operators to see if there are any mishaps that are documented in newspapers.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
grandma Rosalie

On Jan 2, 1:30 am, BrianK wrote:
On 12/31/2007 9:50 PM jimbobjoe did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings: There are 4 of us going on a cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, St.
[...]

View My Web Page:http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951

That's one reason I recommended not to do it where there's a lot of
buildings.

If they do it with a ship excursion, I would hope that they have been
checked out for safety.

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

grandma Rosalie wrote:
On Jan 2, 1:30 am, BrianK wrote:

[...]

I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:03:44 -0500, Ermalee wrote:

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.

I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee

You could have killed yourself, parasailing is for idiots.
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:03:44 -0500, Ermalee wrote:

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.

I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee

You could have killed yourself, parasailing is for idiots.

Honest question - why would it be that dangerous? The parasailing I've
seen wihches the person out and back to a platform on the boat. I've
considered it myself, but just haven't done it. I understand that
whenever you have boats, big engines, rope, altitude, sharks etc. that
there is an element of danger present, but it sure looks safe enough
that I'd consider it. Have you read about accidents or mishaps?

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee

Nonnymus wrote:
Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:03:44 -0500, Ermalee wrote:

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.

I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee

You could have killed yourself, parasailing is for idiots.

Honest question - why would it be that dangerous? The parasailing I've
seen wihches the person out and back to a platform on the boat. I've
considered it myself, but just haven't done it. I understand that
whenever you have boats, big engines, rope, altitude, sharks etc. that
there is an element of danger present, but it sure looks safe enough
that I'd consider it. Have you read about accidents or mishaps?

Nonny, I was much younger when I did that in Cancun and did not see any
danger in it.

Ermalee
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RosalieAnn Beasley

"Nonnymus" wrote in message
Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:03:44 -0500, Ermalee wrote:

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.
I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee

You could have killed yourself, parasailing is for idiots.

Honest question - why would it be that dangerous? The parasailing I've
seen wihches the person out and back to a platform on the boat. I've
considered it myself, but just haven't done it. I understand that
whenever you have boats, big engines, rope, altitude, sharks etc. that
there is an element of danger present, but it sure looks safe enough that
I'd consider it. Have you read about accidents or mishaps?

Well Brian (I think) posted one.

But probably in that one, and most other accidents it is because people
panic when they get up high. When I went (which was just last year), they
kept asking us if we had a problem with height, and scrutinizing our
expressions also I think.

The folks running the boat have to be competent, and the equipment be in
good condition. The harness has to fit so that you don't slip out of it but
can fasten it, and the ropes attaching you to the boat and the winch needs
to be in good shape. Otherwise they might have to haul you in by hand.

I did it through the ship, and I think the ship vets them to a certain
extent.

Old January 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:43:39 -0800, Nonnymus wrote:

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:03:44 -0500, Ermalee wrote:

I got up pretty high - I was higher than the ship.
I did it in Cancun. It was awesome.

Ermalee

You could have killed yourself, parasailing is for idiots.

Honest question - why would it be that dangerous? The parasailing I've
seen wihches the person out and back to a platform on the boat. I've
considered it myself, but just haven't done it. I understand that
whenever you have boats, big engines, rope, altitude, sharks etc. that
there is an element of danger present, but it sure looks safe enough
that I'd consider it. Have you read about accidents or mishaps?

Start on the bottom, think about the "training" part.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8987_outfit-...rasailing.html

How does the insurance industry look at it? Extremely.

http://insurance.essentialtravel.co....g-overland.asp

A lawsuit:

http://blog.lipcon.com/2007/09/fathe...deadly_pa.html

Of course, the takeoff is the easiest part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLup-y9MBls

Even the French know better (audio ON)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_qGh0dw5wA&NR=1

Of course, it could be just once or twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYQm...eature=related