2008 Cruise Prices Falling??

Old January 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

Default 2008 Cruise Prices Falling??

Not from what I've found. At Christmas Dinner my family opened up
discussions about a family group cruise (what would have been 22 people)
in 2008 - Month of July. I began my internet research (as well as my
Trusty Cruise Master Travel Agent) for R/T out of NYC. First of all
regular balcony cabins ranged in price from $1900 - $2800 p/p. Inside
cabins $1400 p/p. 3&4th pax. $1000. I should also add that these
prices are for 8 & 9 days - not 7. On top of that all group space is
gone gone gone. Only individual cabin space is available and limited.

First of all I can't believe sailing out of NYC & NJ is $800 - $1800
more expensive p/p then sailing out of Florida. But hey, the cruise
lines are getting it. Then adding a fuel surcharge on top of that.
If the cruise lines know how popular this port is and obviously get the
money they are charging why not add a few more ships in & out of NY?
I was really amazed how few ships and options there were into and out of
NY/NJ. If these ships are sold out (or close to it) 7 - 8 months before
sailing doesn't it seem like good business to add more? Supply &
demand?

Someone posted on here recently how there are going to be all these
cabins available and how prices are going to be dropping in 2008. Would
somebody please let me know when this starts happening out of NY....
Because I'll book it. Even if its NCL.

So concludes my annual rant about the lack of cruise ships out of NYC.
Its just so nice to dock and be less than 1 hour from my driveway.

Old January 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , RICK
DAVIS wrote:

Someone posted on here recently how there are going to be all these
cabins available and how prices are going to be dropping in 2008. Would
somebody please let me know when this starts happening out of NY....

I posted it as a question. Whether there might be big discounts in 2008
because of the many ships coming on line and the economy softening. I
was not making a prediction. It was a speculative posting. I wanted to
see what others thought about prices in 2008. Ray posted that Carnival
disagrees.

In any case if there are big discounts in 2008 it is not likely to
happen out of New York in July. The additional berths coming on line
are not going to be home porting in New York because there are limited
docks there. There is a huge market there, and July is prime time, peak
vacation season when schools are out of session.

With the softening economy, the December job figures were bad, I do
think there is a good chance cruise prices are going to drop next year
with all the new berths coming on line---but it is not going to be out
of New York in July!

If you have to go in July look at cruises out of Florida or San Juan.

--
Charles
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

Charles, the point of sailing from NYC or NJ was because some members of
the family will not fly. That and because we live so close. We lived
thru 911 first hand up close. Everyone we know lost someone (family or
close friend) that day. Thats a scar that will never go away and
frightened a lot of people on flying. It bothered me for a long time
but I got over it. Otherwise we would have selected Florida as a
departure point. I understand NYC in July (and Aug) is peak time. That
didn't even need to be mentioned. We looked at July for the exact
reason you mentioned - Kids are out of school. Peak time is Late June
thru late Aug. - when kids are out of school. Prices for each week
during that time don't differ by much. We didn't expect that. With
the addition of Brooklyn, NJ & NY there is now more docking space than
ever. Each line: Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, HAL
and even NCL was very limited with sailings. In fact one of these lines
had nothing during the summer months. The other lines only had 1 ship
sailing R/T form NY/NJ. We fully expected to pay more sailing out of
NYC. Just not more than double the price of sailing out of Florida and
having such limited availability 7 - 8 months in advance. It is
because of that that I don't understand why more ships are not added if
they sell out so quickly. Especially with the additional space now
available in the NY area.

BTW, I was not pointing you out for your comment about prices falling
and available cabins. I was being sarcastic to make the point about the
prices and availability. Sorry if that offended you. It wasn't meant
to.

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

RICK DAVIS wrote:
[...]

Rick, I would also like to see more cruise ships in NY/NJ. I enjoy
visiting that area, if only there were more ships to choose from.

I keep hoping they will add more ships in Louisiana and Texas. It would
be nice if there were more options, locally. Flying is such a PITA, I am
willing to pay a little more, if I can drive there.

The cruise I took out of California was nice, but it was too cold, and
we were there in April/May. You had to wear pants and a jacket on the
first two days of the cruise, and on the last two days. It was so cold,
nobody was using the swimming pools. If I cruise out of California
again, I may try it in August or September, maybe the weather will be
warmer? Maybe someone could advise, who lives there.

Cruising out of MIA/FLL is not a problem, except you have to fly to get
there, the airports are crowded on the weekends and the hotels are
getting a little pricey. Maybe they are not more pricey, and I am just
thinking they are.

The problem is... we are a bunch of cruise nutz and we are not looking
for a cure.

Becca

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

Ray, or anyone...Please try to explain to me....

On Jan 5, 11:05*am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Hi Rick,

It is simply a matter of economics to the cruise lines. *They can gain
more revenue by placing their sailings in other home ports during the
summer.

Explain this: Does every ship have to "claim" a home port? I
thought ships
got moved around all the time...am I wrong? NY seems to be a "year
round seasonal port".
Meaning its most busy during the summer. So if ships can be added
during the summer why can't more
ships be added? If a "home port" doesn't sell well don't they move
that ship to another port where It will?

*There are also a limited number of Caribbean sailings from
Florida and San Juan during the summer.

I understand this. I sailed out of San Juan once on July 4th.
I thought the ship was going to melt it was so hot. That I
understand.
But why not add 2 ships out of NYC if the need is there? Does Miami
really need
3 Carnival ships sailing daily, or 3 or 4 Royal Caribbeans sailing?
Are they
sold out to capacity and charging $1800 - $2300 p/p for a Balcony
cabin?
Why not move one of these to NYC for the short cruise season where
they do collect
those prices and sell out? Do you
see what I mean here?

*As in the NYC area, some
cruise lines have no or very limited sailings from Florida or San Juan
during the summer. Again the reason is they can get more revenue by
sailing from alternative home ports.

By this do you mean Europe & the Med.? If NYC sailings are
selling out
wouldn't it be to their advantage to add more? Especially when they
are more than
double the cost of sailings out of Florida? It just seems like its a
win win for everyone.
Just really trying to understand the reasoning here. IF: 1 ship sells
out at double the price
p/p of a florida sailing + adding another ship at double the price p/p
of a florida sailing =
4 times the revenue (+ fuel surcharge) for the cruise line. Doesn't
that seem more profitable?

Thanks for the info.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article
,
Rick wrote:

Ray, or anyone...Please try to explain to me....

On Jan 5, 11:05*am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:
Hi Rick,

It is simply a matter of economics to the cruise lines. *They can gain
more revenue by placing their sailings in other home ports during the
summer.

Explain this: Does every ship have to "claim" a home port? I
thought ships
got moved around all the time...am I wrong? NY seems to be a "year
round seasonal port".
Meaning its most busy during the summer. So if ships can be added
during the summer why can't more
ships be added? If a "home port" doesn't sell well don't they move
that ship to another port where It will?

Therfe is a lot more to it than that. There is a limited amount of
dock space and what impact might a couple more ships have on the prices
of food, etc., since there is more competition. Just because you can go
out of NYC, doesn't always mean that there are places you go to FROM
NYC, both from space availability at distant ports and such constraints
as how far a ship can travel in a certain amount of time. The summer is
peak travel season, so extending that doesn't mean that people will
continue to travel from there as weather changes. Similar concerns from
any port.

*There are also a limited number of Caribbean sailings from
Florida and San Juan during the summer.

I understand this. I sailed out of San Juan once on July 4th.
I thought the ship was going to melt it was so hot. That I
understand.
But why not add 2 ships out of NYC if the need is there? Does Miami
really need
3 Carnival ships sailing daily, or 3 or 4 Royal Caribbeans sailing?
Are they
sold out to capacity and charging $1800 - $2300 p/p for a Balcony
cabin?

Why not move one of these to NYC for the short cruise season where
they do collect
those prices and sell out? Do you
see what I mean here?

Again you get into supply and demand concerns. The high prices they are
getting in NYC may be directly related to how many cruises are going out
of there. You increase the number of sailings, you may very well
overshoot the demand and lose those nice numbers. If they were getting
those prices and still running a fair percentage of the ship as a
waiting list, then it might make sense. If they are getting those prices
for full ships but little else, then you are essentially robbing from
yourself if you add extra ships.

Just really trying to understand the reasoning here. IF: 1 ship sells
out at double the price
p/p of a florida sailing + adding another ship at double the price p/p
of a florida sailing =
4 times the revenue (+ fuel surcharge) for the cruise line. Doesn't
that seem more profitable?

Thanks for the info.

The IF is the constraining factor. Just because you add ships doesn't
mean you automatically add to the profit.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Jan 5, 11:04*am, Becca wrote:
Rick, I would also like to see more cruise ships in NY/NJ. I enjoy
visiting that area, if only there were more ships to choose from.

I have said that for years. I don't understand why there aren't
more.
Now more than ever with the addition of more docking space.

The problem is... we are a bunch of cruise nutz and we are not looking
for a cure.

No cure....just more of a fix to keep feeding our addiction.
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , RICK
DAVIS wrote:

Charles, the point of sailing from NYC or NJ was because some members of
the family will not fly. That and because we live so close.

I would say you might consider someplace on the Jersey shore or
something like that instead of a cruise for a family get together. But
even that might be booked up by now.

Also check the prices from some nearby ports. Boston and Baltimore have
cruises. Some could drive or take the train there.

--
Charles