stop-off on Gdansk - Warsaw train journey?

Old February 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
dwl[_2_]

Default stop-off on Gdansk - Warsaw train journey?

We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look or can anyone suggest an alternative route?

Thanks

Old February 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
igor[_1_]

dwl wrote:
We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look or can anyone suggest an alternative route?

Malbork is the best choice - one of the largest medieval castles in
Europe, within a walking distance from the train station, ideal for a
half-day visit.
http://www.zamek.malbork.pl/en/index.html

An alternative route could be Gdansk - Torun - Warsaw.
http://www.visittorun.pl/

igor
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"igor" wrote in message
dwl wrote:
We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look or can anyone suggest an alternative route?

Malbork is the best choice - one of the largest medieval castles in
Europe, within a walking distance from the train station, ideal for a
half-day visit.
http://www.zamek.malbork.pl/en/index.html

Were it not for the two small children I would agree.

With them, I'm not so sure

tim

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on 14 Feb 2007 13:31:38 -0800, "dwl"
writted:

We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look or can anyone suggest an alternative route?

Malbork is good for the abso-friggin-lutely huge fortress, but there's
not much else there.

Torun is also worth a look if you go through there, but the station is
a bit of a walk from the old town.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
dwl

Yeah, I had looked at Malbork as a possibility but there seems to be
the castle and, er, that's it. Torun looks promising - anyone know if
the railway station has a left luggage facility?

Old February 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ulf Kutzner

dwl schrieb:
We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look

By the way, if traveling on point-to-point tickets, you might need
separate ones.

Regards, ULF
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:00:11 -0000, "tim....."
writted:

"igor" wrote in message
dwl wrote:
We're due to travel from Gdansk to Warsaw this summer which will take
about 4.5 hours. As we will be travelling with 2 small children I was
thinking of breaking the journey. The stops en route a Tczew,
Malbork, Ilawa Glowna and Dzialdowo. Are any of these places worth a
look or can anyone suggest an alternative route?

Malbork is the best choice - one of the largest medieval castles in
Europe, within a walking distance from the train station, ideal for a
half-day visit.
http://www.zamek.malbork.pl/en/index.html

Were it not for the two small children I would agree.

With them, I'm not so sure

Fill them up with sugary drinks and let them run amok. They'd love it.
--
---
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
dwl

Fill them up with sugary drinks and let them run amok. They'd love it.

I don't think the rest of Malbork would love it though :-)

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Let is be knownst that on 15 Feb 2007 03:21:43 -0800, "dwl"
writted:

Yeah, I had looked at Malbork as a possibility but there seems to be
the castle and, er, that's it. Torun looks promising - anyone know if
the railway station has a left luggage facility?

Man, you're in luck today, I needed to call them for some other stuff.

Yes, there are facilities for left luggage there. The guy I spoke to
said there are "boxes", which presumably means lockers.

You can walk to the centre, which involves crossing a very soviet
looking steel bridge, or there is also a bus. Don't forget to stamp
the tickets.

The tourist office number is +48 56 6210931, and they speak English.

One of the curious things about the town is how the prison is right in
the middle of the old town. A really odd place to put it. I guess you
wouldn't be interested in nightlife there, which is a pity, because it
has a big student population, and can be great fun.
--
---
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
dwl

That's spectacularly helpful, thanks a lot!