Is Costa Rica safe for cruisers?

Old March 1st, 2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker

Default Is Costa Rica safe for cruisers?

To Whom It May Concern:

We came across this information in the trades and thought it would be of
interest to this newsgroup as well.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (pogo ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Costa Rica is moving fast to reassure cruisers that it's safe to visit the
country in the wake of last-week's much-publicized attack on a group of
Carnival passengers on shore.

Officials pledged on Tuesday to double the number of police on patrol in the
port city of Limon during cruise ship stopovers. They also say they'll
install security cameras around the city so police can keep a closer eye on
vehicles carrying tourists. The moves come less than a week after three
armed assailants held up a group of passengers from the Carnival Legend,
which was in Limon for the day. In a widely reported twist, the cruisers
fought back, killing one of the alleged muggers and sending the other two
running. In the aftermath of the incident, Carnival initially canceled
upcoming port calls in Costa Rica, but this week the line says it'll return
to the country starting with the Legend's March 8 voyage. Costa Rica, long
one of Central America's most popular destinations, has been surging as a
cruise stop in recent years as the fast-growing cruise industry looks for
alternatives to increasingly crowded Caribbean ports such as St. Thomas and
Cozumel. In the last four months, around 40 cruise ships have arrived with
85,000 passengers -- a period during which officials note there have been
just four "security incidents" reported to authorities. Still, crime against
tourists is a growing problem in Costa Rica. The U.S. State Department's
consular information sheet for the country warns that theft has become
"common," and there's been a string of armed attacks against tourists on
roadways. "Local law enforcement agencies have limited capabilities and do
not act according to U.S. standards," the report notes. Is Costa Rica safe
to visit -- either by cruise ship or otherwise? Personally, I've never
experienced anything but warmth and friendliness from locals when visiting
the country, and I've never felt in danger while there. Costa Rica is a
peaceful place, and in my own mind I'd place the recent attack in the
category of "random and rare." Indeed, I'll be taking my three little kids
to Costa Rica (to a jungle eco-lodge) in just a few weeks for spring break,
and haven't thought twice about it.

Old March 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Eddie-Type2

oh great .....so I guess our trip on Legend March 8th will be the guinea
pigs returning to Limon......I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about
it........and I really wanted to go to a beach while there!

Eddie

nk.net...

Old March 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&G

Limon is a nasty place. We've been to CR 5 times tho and really love the
country. Limon is populated by Jamaican's that came there to work. The
Ticos are friendly, clean, educated and warm.
I'd suggest going on a tour out of Limon. Visit the beaches on the west
coast if you can.
Pura Vida,
G&G
"Capt Mary Kidd" wrote in message
The message
from "Eddie-Type2" contains these words:

oh great .....so I guess our trip on Legend March 8th will be the
guinea
pigs returning to Limon......I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about
it........and I really wanted to go to a beach while there!

Go and enjoy.. you are more likely to be a victim of crime in Miami.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1093.html

--
Pam