Back from Cancun

Old February 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america,rec.scuba
Shane

Default Back from Cancun

Hola! I just got back from Cancun and it was so nice to beat the winter
blues with a little sunshine, a little relaxing, and a few shots of
tequila. I am so glad I made it down there before spring break season
kicks into full gear, because I imagine the debauchery and partying
increases by 10. Before I left I read some Cancun traveling tips; some
were dead on and I found some to be downright wrong. Here are a few
things that I experienced and some traveling tips:

- The water was JUST FINE to drink from my hotel room. I was even a
little worried, so I brought some powdered gatorade to mix in. Turns
out I didn't need it for the taste, but I did use to get my electrolytes
back in after they somehow went missing after too many tequila shots.
- People seemed to understand English way better than I anticipated.
They did appreciate my feeble attempts at speaking spanish, but I felt
like the locals helped me out and didn't take advantage of me.
- There are much better rates than the TELMEX phone card. I loaded up
a Onesuite account and had the access number, and the calls were closer
to $.18/min instead of half a dollar. WHile I didn't spend too much
time talking on the phone, it was nice to easily let my mom and my
girlfriend know that we made it okay.
- THey were right, riding on the bus is crazy. You totally have to
lower your head and push through people.

Shane