Tuxedo tie question

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_3_]

Default Tuxedo tie question

I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Anybody have the definitive answer?

I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Jr. wrote:
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

If you find out the answer, be sure to let Kevin know.lol

See you very soon,
sue
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Jr." wrote in message
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Jr., It goes under the collar.

http://www.smarttuxedo.com/Ties--Cummerbunds-8/

Jean

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_3_]

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

"Jr." wrote in message
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your
neck goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Jr., It goes under the collar.

http://www.smarttuxedo.com/Ties--Cummerbunds-8/

Jean

Check out the 100% silk tie on that page. It is over the collar. See what I
mean? No real answer.

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Jr." wrote in message
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your
neck goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Jr., It goes under the collar.

http://www.smarttuxedo.com/Ties--Cummerbunds-8/

Jean

Check out the 100% silk tie on that page. It is over the collar. See what
I mean? No real answer.

If you are referring to the two bow ties that are untied on that page, then
they are not in position...What do the majority photos show?...Under the
collar or winged collar of the shirt.
If you are that uneasy about it, stop in a tuxedo shop at your mall and see
for yourself, but I have never seen anyone wear them over the collar, be a
regular or bow tie.

--Jean

Old January 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_3_]

"Jr." wrote in message
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Anybody have the definitive answer?

I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

According to the link below and a couple of other places, either is
acceptable.

http://www.simonsformal.com/weddings/glossary.asp

--
Greg

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Duncan Craig

"Jr." wrote in message
I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your
neck goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Jr., It goes under the collar.

http://www.smarttuxedo.com/Ties--Cummerbunds-8/

Jean

Check out the 100% silk tie on that page. It is over the collar. See what
I mean? No real answer.

If you are referring to the two bow ties that are untied on that page,
then they are not in position...What do the majority photos show?...Under
the collar or winged collar of the shirt.
If you are that uneasy about it, stop in a tuxedo shop at your mall and
see for yourself, but I have never seen anyone wear them over the collar,
be a regular or bow tie.

--Jean

Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on my
left side and under the collar points on my right side!

Old January 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Duncan Craig" wrote in message
Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on my
left side and under the collar points on my right side!

GOOD for you! Nothing like starting a new fashion trend! ;-D

--Jean

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_4_]

Duncan Craig wrote:

Until this gets resolved, I plan to wear it over the collar points on my
left side and under the collar points on my right side!

Something I've done in the past to amuse myself on formal nights is to
pack a baggie of either white or yellow corn meal- like you use to make
grits or scrapple. After carefully dressing in my black suit or tux, I
then sprinkle the corn meal on the collar and shoulders of the jacket,
giving me the look of a person with terminal dandruff. It's interesting
how many good hearted people will come up and actually brush it off,
thinking it's something unintended and embarrassing.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jr.
wrote:

I was always told that the bowtie with the strap that goes around your neck
goes OVER the points of the collar.

Yet, I see so many people wearing the bowtie UNDER the collar in front.

Anybody have the definitive answer?

I checked this a number of years ago and the answer was that either way
was acceptable.

--
Charles