Questions Regarding Norwegian & Carnival's Tipping Policies

Old January 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Questions Regarding Norwegian & Carnival's Tipping Policies

From what I've read you can't remove the automatic tips, or as NCL
calls it the "service charge" from your acount but Carnival's policy
is less clear. Due to this I'll no longer consider sailing with NCL.
Can a Carnival passenger insure up front that the tips are not added
to the account so they can tip in person? I did this on RCI several
years ago and prefer to tip based on service. If this is possible
what's the proper procedure?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

wrote:
From what I've read you can't remove the automatic tips, or as NCL
calls it the "service charge" from your acount but Carnival's policy
is less clear. Due to this I'll no longer consider sailing with NCL.
Can a Carnival passenger insure up front that the tips are not added
to the account so they can tip in person? I did this on RCI several
years ago and prefer to tip based on service. If this is possible
what's the proper procedure?

Thanks in advance.

It is my understanding that on Carnival you would go to the pursers desk
and to have your tips removed.
At the end of the cruise you would give your cash to your waitstaff
cabin steward, etc. They in turn take the money down and hand it in
so it can be added to the tipping pool.

In the end you really aren't doing anything except making yourself feel
better as the money ends up in the same place it would have if you had
just left it
on your account.

Most people who remove their tips either don't tip at all, tip a lesser
amount, or just don't like the cruise line dictating to them how to tip.

Your waitstaff, steward, etc will probably be questioned about why the
tips were removed. ie:bad service

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

Old January 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , sheree
wrote:

according to our ncl docs they can be changed from the $10pp on our account

I think they can be changed on NCL but not on NCL America (the US
flagged ships).

--
Charles
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , rieker
wrote:

If you would rather not tip, you should book on Oceania, Silversea, etc.

Oceania has tips automatically added to onboard accounts every day just
like Carnival, NCL, Princess etc.

--
Charles
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote in message
From what I've read you can't remove the automatic tips, or as NCL
calls it the "service charge" from your acount but Carnival's policy
is less clear. Due to this I'll no longer consider sailing with NCL.
Can a Carnival passenger insure up front that the tips are not added
to the account so they can tip in person? I did this on RCI several
years ago and prefer to tip based on service. If this is possible
what's the proper procedure?

Thanks in advance.

From the perceived tone in your message (though I could be completely
wrong)... the only reason that I can figure you want to remove the automatic
tips is because you intend to either reduce the tips or stiff them
completely.

Why do I say that?

Simple. The service you get will not be any different one way of the other.
Unless you tell them, the people will not know that you've removed their
tips. So they will give you service expecting that the tips will be paid.
Removing the tips will not get them to give you better service.

And if you choose to tell them, my guess is that they would expect you to
reduce their tips or stiff them completely. Why else would you do it????

Personally... if I were the waiter, and someone removed the auto tips or
told me they were going to do it... I'd assume they were going to stiff me
for service provided. At that point I'd pay less attention to them. I'd
take better care of others that I knew were going to take care of me.

And if you suddenly claim that you want to tip more if the service is great,
you can always add to the tip. So that scenario doesn't hold water... at
least not with me. Removing auto tops is only important if you want to
stiff the crew for their service.

If I'm the waiter... I'd rather you avoid the cruise line I work for...
because instead they'll fill your spot on the ship with someone who doesn't
intend to stiff me.

But if that wasn't your intent, and I'm totally off base... you might want
to at least consider what I've written, and simply to go along with the
program. And if the service is that outstanding, then add to it.

--Tom

Old January 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Charles wrote:

In article , sheree
wrote:

according to our ncl docs they can be changed from the $10pp on our account

I think they can be changed on NCL but not on NCL America (the US
flagged ships).

Yes, I was going to say that they refused to remove them from my
bill on NCLA last summer. I had overtipped our excellent server
at the Mexican restaurant the first night on the expectation
that I could get the base tips removed from the bill and pay as
I went. Once I found out they would not, I stopped tipping at
the no-charge restaurants, since it was already included.

Bill
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jan 27, 3:52*pm, Bill C wrote:

It is my understanding that on Carnival you would go to the pursers desk
and to have your tips removed.
At the end of the cruise you would give your cash to your waitstaff
cabin steward, etc. They in turn take the money down and hand it in
so it can be added to the tipping pool.

On the Triumph - 2 years ago ... We got envelopes which had a card
inside indicating the tip was left on the account and we were free to
add more ...
On the Frredom they were added to the account but no envelopes ... So
they got extra in the final handshake ... That was European so I don't
know why else there was a difference between ships ..

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jan 27, 2:32*pm, wrote:
From what I've read you can't remove the automatic tips, or as NCL
calls it the "service charge" from your acount but Carnival's policy
is less clear. *Due to this I'll no longer consider sailing with NCL.

NCL has the same policy as Carnival ... tips are charged daily and can
be removed prior to the final date ... I've read that NCLA put this
"service charge" policy in effect ... no doubt because the poor
service from the American crew had a propensity to encourage tip
removal ...
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jan 27, 6:49*pm, "Tom K" wrote:
wrote in message

From what I've read you can't remove the automatic tips, or as NCL
calls it the "service charge" from your acount but Carnival's policy
is less clear. *Due to this I'll no longer consider sailing with NCL.
Can a Carnival passenger insure up front that the tips are not added
to the account so they can tip in person? *I did this on RCI several
years ago and prefer to tip based on service. *If this is possible
what's the proper procedure?

Thanks in advance.

From the perceived tone in your message (though I could be completely
wrong)... the only reason that I can figure you want to remove the automatic
tips is because you intend to either reduce the tips or stiff them
completely.

Why do I say that?

Simple. *

I looked at his profile after responding ... his first ever RTC
post ... maybe even a simpler explanation ...