ATM vs Debit; Intn'l Banks

Old April 1st, 2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Default ATM vs Debit; Intn'l Banks

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:50:04 +0700, "RAK" wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

Chris

Interesting. I have an HSBC account in the UK (mainland) with offshore
status (they may not issue new accounts like this any more, I think now
offshores must be in the Channel Island or IOM).
I cannot make overseas transfers from this account via the internet as the
account data fields are fixed to the lengths of UK accounts (8 digits?)
and
sort codes etc.I therefore have another account with a different bank in
IOM
which allows overseas transfers via the net.
I also have HSBC in Indonesia. Sounds like I would be better off moving my
UK HSBC to the Channels islands if intenational transfers can be done over
the net and are free. But it is a shame as now I can go into the HSBC
branch
from time to time when I am in the UK, which can be useful; I would not
want
to pop over to Jersey just to sign some form.

I have had the Indonesian account for over 10 years, the UK one for about
20
years. In general I find HSBC gives good service though sometimes they are
too expensive, e.g. their foreign exchange rates in Indonesia are
terrible,
so I take money out in cash and change it in a money changer or local
bank.

For some reason, HSBC do not allow international transfers to be
carried out by internet banking on UK mainland accounts. I'm not sure
why that is, because they permit it in every other country in which I
have accounts with them, including Jersey.

By the way, the international transfers are only free if you have
"Premier" status with them. If not, I think they charge GBP15 each for
transfers to other HSBC offices.

The exchange rates at HSBC in Manila are not bad. Certainly as good as
any other local bank, but perhaps not as good as a money changer.

Thanks, I'll look into it when I am in the UK. I have a Premier account on
the mainland but I guess it may not keep that status if I transfer.

As for exchange rates in Jakarta: the buy/sell spread US$ to Rupiah (rate =
about 9000) is about 100rp in local banks and good money changers for cash
(new $100 notes) but somewhere around 500 for HSBC interaccount transfers
and I think about 700 or so for cash - quite a difference. Some other major
internationals (Citibank, Amex) are similar.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 01:24:01 -0800, wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

Like RAK I find this interesting, because I went into an office
in Australia and the HSBC told me you must transfer $6000
at a time, and there would be a fee. And you did not say it was
an internet transfer, so I doubt you meant that.

I did mean via internet banking.

So you can transfer money from bank to bank internally?
How about to other banks as well, over the internet? I have
been looking for a way to use a debit card to transfer funds
to a bank, because the only way to wire transfer from one
of my banks, is to physically go there, and I don't live there.

And of course
you are not from the USA (I don't think) so you do not have the
restrictions on you as would one from the USA, and the reason
the Channel Island banks seem unwilling to open accounts to
Americans. (Because of the stock exchange rules and the
IRS (yes just like the ones in Ireland) in the USA.)

The only branches for HSBC are only in Bangkok (that I know
of) so if you go anywhere else that won't work.

That's right, but their ATM network in interconnected with one of the
domestic networks in Thailand (ATM Pool??) and you can withdraw cash
from other bank's machines elsewhere in the country.

But as above if they want to deposit or wire transfer etc.
they would have to take a trip to Bangkok. Of course you
can use a ATM anywhere, but I doubt you can deposit
there unless they have an agreement.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Wonderful; assuming your not a shill for HSBC.

Now if their moron customers service dept. could understand English and
answer simple questions.

Chris Blunt wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

Chris

"Big Jim" wrote in
:

Hello Echo

It mostly relates to Cebu City but you can read my article on using
ATM's in the Philippines he
http://bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=32

Regards: Jim Sibbick

"echo" wrote in message
Planning on traveling to Thailand,Philippines and also Central
America. Then I will settle in one of the cities, with BKK and
major city in Philippines on on the list.

Need advice on how to make funds currently in USA major bank
available to me in these cities. Which is better ATM or Debit card?
Thinking I need a good international bank with branches in both USA
and various overseas cities. Or is it better to stick with a local
in country bank?

Need your advice on which international banks if any are any good,
preferably one that has a branch in the USA also. Any help?

Old April 3rd, 2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Chris Blunt wrote:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:47:13 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:
Thanks to Jim and all those who replied. I notice no one had any bank
recommendations. I have pretty much concluded that they all suck, so
probably there is no good one.

I have had accounts with HSBC in several countries for many years, and
have been happy with their service in both the Philippines and
Thailand.

My main source of income is credited to another account I have with
them offshore in the Channel Islands, and any transfers they do for me
from there to my other HSBC accounts elsewhere in the world are free
of charge. Also, it normally only takes a couple of hours for the
money to arrive in my overseas account.

I have an HSBC account in the UK, and was very disappointed (but not
entirely surprised) to discover they were useless for accessing money
overseas except through standard cash machines. That was even the
case when they have HSBC in New York; banks other than HSBC were more
convenient for getting at HSBC money. To get more cash than could be
got through a cash machine would take days and cost a bundle. What kind
of 'world-wide' bank it is, is a bit of a mystery; but that's probably
just a facet of the US banking industry. In other countries HSBC-to-
HSBC transactions are probably more feasible. [This was pre-11/09, so
no anti-terrorist-funding constraints are involved, just crap banking]

--
Ken Tough
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 00:38:09 +0700, "RAK" wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If you have Premier status with HSBC in one country, then any other
accounts you have with them elsewhere in the world will also be given
the same status without having to meet the minimum balance
requirements everywhere. They normally give better exchange rates to
Premier customers, along with a few other perks, so it may be worth
asking at your branch in Indonesia about it.

Chris
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

On 2 Apr 2006 09:42:14 -0700, wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 01:24:01 -0800,
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
[...]

Yes, I can initiate a transfer to any bank in the world through their
internet banking service.

And of course
you are not from the USA (I don't think) so you do not have the
restrictions on you as would one from the USA, and the reason
the Channel Island banks seem unwilling to open accounts to
Americans. (Because of the stock exchange rules and the
IRS (yes just like the ones in Ireland) in the USA.)

The only branches for HSBC are only in Bangkok (that I know
of) so if you go anywhere else that won't work.

That's right, but their ATM network in interconnected with one of the
domestic networks in Thailand (ATM Pool??) and you can withdraw cash
from other bank's machines elsewhere in the country.

But as above if they want to deposit or wire transfer etc.
they would have to take a trip to Bangkok. Of course you
can use a ATM anywhere, but I doubt you can deposit
there unless they have an agreement.

They probably couldn't deposit cash without going to Bangkok, but they
could carry out a wire transfer through the internet. Personally, I
find I need to deposit cash so infrequently that it just isn't an
issue for me. If I needed to do that often I would open an additional
account with a local bank.

The initial request was for recommendations for a bank with a good
international presence, but now we seem to have added on the
requirement for an extensive domestic branch network as well. I don't
think such a bank exists anywhere, and HSBC is the closest compromise
I've found so far.

Chris
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 00:15:20 GMT, Ken Tough
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

[...]

I don't have a problem obtaining cash, and an ATM seems to be one of
the most convenient way of doing that. I can withdraw up to GBP500 a
day with an ATM card, which is more than enough for most people. If I
need more than that I simply ask them to transfer whatever amount I
need to my local account with them and the money is normally in the
account ready to withdraw the same day. I'm not sure why it doesn't
work as easily as that in New York.

Chris
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:38:38 +0000 (UTC), echo wrote:

Wonderful; assuming your not a shill for HSBC.

Now if their moron customers service dept. could understand English and
answer simple questions.

I've never had a problem with them understanding me. Perhaps if you
brushed up on your English you'd have more success in communicating
with them.

Chris Blunt wrote in
:

Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

[...]

It is because it is America, they have laws on the use of
condoms. There is nothing in the USA that does not have
a law attached to it, they have to have laws to tell you what
you can do. That is why those from the USA cannot get an
account in the Channel Islands, so many laws it is not worth
their while, those from the USA cannot access the US Stock
Market from those accounts, so what is the point for them.

I think you have been damn decent as always, I'm not sure
why some have gone after you.

While the rest of the world is moving toward tolerance of
others, the USA is moving in the direction of making
intersexual children and homosexuals second class
subhuman beings. Were Bush to get the Marriage Ban
Amendment put into the US Constitution, intersexuals
would find themselves in a world that they could never
legally marry. What does that say to them, that they
are freaks that are not human beings. After all who
does a hermaphrodite legally marry if they only legal
marriage is one between a man and a woman.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.misc

Chris Blunt wrote:

I don't have a problem obtaining cash, and an ATM seems to be one of
the most convenient way of doing that. I can withdraw up to GBP500 a
day with an ATM card, which is more than enough for most people. If I
need more than that I simply ask them to transfer whatever amount I
need to my local account with them and the money is normally in the
account ready to withdraw the same day. I'm not sure why it doesn't
work as easily as that in New York.

Go figure. I didn't have an HSBC-USA account, and as far as they
were concerned they had no relationship with HSBC UK. It could have
been Barlays and Save-o-Matic of Manhatten for all they thought. It
would have taken many days at large expense to get a few thousand
dollars transferred, with the additional problem of not having a local
account to put it in, and not being able to open a local account without
a residential address.

USA is the only place I've ever known that had also refused to accept
a credit card because it wasn't issued in the US. A VISA is a VISA is
a VISA everywhere else in the world. But not for buying airline tickets
in US over the phone, even in pre-11/09 days.

--
Ken Tough