I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
bill

Default I recently had the worst moules-frites in the world...

In article ,
says...

In message , Bill
writes
In article ,
says...

In message , Bill
writes
In article ,
says...

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

A very simple one; in British waters the months without an R are the
shellfish breeding period. Conserving the population of breeding adults
protects future stocks.
Also, they are not in the best shape for eating while they are
reproducing.

Janet

Exactly. I cannot understand why people who reckon to be knowledgeable
about food would not have known that. (I think the poster to whom you
are replying meant to say 'months without an R' and not the opposite way
round).

I'm sure you can point to a source that says so...

Second time of asking...

Not without searching. You could do that yourself.

This is Usenet, you make a claim, you get to prove it.

I didn't make the claim - Janet did. I just agreed with her. Are you
always this rude?

With stupid people, yes.

Remember, I'm the bloke who got 'bad mouthed' for going to your group
and asking about buying a new knife after mine was worn out after 40 odd
years of service.

--
William Black

When you hear the words 'Our people are our greatest asset' then it's
time to leave.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Runge 666[_2_]

Lol here she pops out again, as long as it's OT she's there.

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" a écrit dans le
message de groupe de discussion : ...

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 666[_2_]

C'mon martin post again

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:23:59 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

With millions doing it, clearly the risk is exaggerated.
--

Martin

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
Barney

On Jun 6, 8:18*am, (David Horne) wrote:
Barnaby Page wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:47 am, Martin wrote:

When you buy mussels from a fish merchant etc. in UK do you have to
clean them?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Supermarket ones will be clean but those
bought directly from a fishery may well not be, for example.

I might be misunderstanding the definition of clean here- the
supermarket ones I buy need debearding (I'm not sure I'd want to buy
them otherwise?), but the outsides are clean.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They nearly always need debearding (unless
in a ready meal dish) but if they come from the supermarket they won't
be covered in parasites and entangled in seaweed.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

Barnaby Page wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:47 am, Martin wrote:

When you buy mussels from a fish merchant etc. in UK do you have to
clean them?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Supermarket ones will be clean but those
bought directly from a fishery may well not be, for example.

I might be misunderstanding the definition of clean here- the
supermarket ones I buy need debearding (I'm not sure I'd want to buy
them otherwise?), but the outsides are clean.

Yeah, that's what I meant. They nearly always need debearding (unless
in a ready meal dish) but if they come from the supermarket they won't
be covered in parasites and entangled in seaweed.

Thanks for confirming that!

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
David Horne[_2_]

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Bill
writes
In article ,
says...

[]t!

Wrong. See Janet's post about the breeding season.

I saw it, it's ********.

And the same to you. Says who?

PS I can understand why travel group went arse up.

The group didn't go arse up. Those that used it for chat (such as
myself) moved elsewhere, including 'here.' The evidence is quite clear,
a recent post in the group got a large number of former contributors to
post. Apart from anything else, why wouldn't a group about European
travel be anything else other than chat? "Answers" are very easily found
elsewhere. Answers to 'uk.food+drink.misc' are usually found elsewhere
too, but people do like to chat. Anyone who complains about that (I'm
not implying you) have very little sense of the orgins of Usenet. That
is, it was a puropsely _social_ medium.

David

Old June 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/8/2012 9:52 AM, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:36:11 +0100, June Hughes
wrote:

I think I'll just block the whole of the posters from there.

That's Mike, David and me gone then.

And me.

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).

No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

Uhhh... that should read "WITHOUT", of course!
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...
Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).
No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning
Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

Except that you're the wrong way around.

Yeah, I caught that when I re-read it, later.

The months WITHOUT an 'r' in then are May, June and July, the warmest
months in England.

You forgot August. (Which is usually plenty hot in the U.S., whatever it
may be in the UK.)
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.food+drink.misc

Doug Anderson wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" writes:

Jack Campin wrote:
I personally would find it too risky to eat mussels in the warm
season, as it can make you seriously ill, if one of them is bad
(botulism).
No risk of botulism, but there is a risk of other food-borne
infections.
One of the nastiest is amnesic shellfish poisoning, which can cause
permanent brain damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesic...fish_poisoning

Clearly there's a REASON for the old adage not to eat mollusks during
months with an "r" in the name!

The adage I learned was "never eat mussels on a day ending in 'y'."

In which language? (In English, all seven end in "y"!)