OK - off topic!

Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

Default OK - off topic!

But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Surreyman
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Surreyman" wrote in message
But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Surreyman

Seattle is the major hub for flights to Alaska. Indeed, it's a major hub
for Alaska Airlines (and their Horizon Air subsidiary). I'm surprised at
the routings you seem to be getting where have you been looking?

Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Surreyman" wrote in message
But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Surreyman

Seattle is the major hub for flights to Alaska. Indeed, it's a major hub
for Alaska Airlines (and their Horizon Air subsidiary). I'm surprised at
the routings you seem to be getting where have you been looking?

And, thinking about it some more, you may be better of buying the flight on
the same ticket as your transatlantic flight rather than buying a separate
ticket.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_4_]

"Surreyman" wrote in message
But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Because not many people want to fly between the two Cities? There is a
daily non-stop on Alaska Airlines.
--
JohnT

Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

In
Surreyman wrote:

But I ain't joining a special group just for this

Joining a group? What are you talking about?

Too much trouble to subscribe to rec.travel.air or even rec.travel.usa-
canada?

Oh; you're a googlegrouper.

Never mind.

http://improve-usenet.org/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
catalpa

"Surreyman" wrote in message
But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Surreyman

People want to get warm and see the sun before they go up to the frozen
North.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Jan 2, 9:42*am, Surreyman wrote:
But I ain't joining a special group just for this, and I'm sure
there's much experience here .....

Have just come across the paucity of direct flights from San Francisco
to Anchorage, which I expected to be almost a shuttle service.
Instead, the most common flights seem to involve stopovers at extreme
diversions such as Phoenix and Denver!
Any ideas why this is?

Surreyman

Why are you posting this question to the Europe travel group?

Alaskan Airline stops at either Portland or Seattle between the two
cities.