Heathrow to Windsor Castle, then into London?

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Tim Kroesen

Default Heathrow to Windsor Castle, then into London?

Should clear the airport by around Noon midweek; I assume this will be
my best/closest opportunity to see Windsor Castle. What's the best most
cost effective way? I read of a half hourly bus from Heathrow...Does it
take you right to the Castle? Total projected Cost? Discounts
available? Locker for a backpack available; I'll need to carry
everything from Heathrow I assume to then return to London South
Kensington St. Station directly and find my diggs and dinner not too
late...

Tim K

Old April 26th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Joan McGalliard

Tim Kroesen wrote:

Should clear the airport by around Noon midweek; I assume this will be
my best/closest opportunity to see Windsor Castle. What's the best most
cost effective way? I read of a half hourly bus from Heathrow...Does it
take you right to the Castle? Total projected Cost? Discounts
available? Locker for a backpack available; I'll need to carry
everything from Heathrow I assume to then return to London South
Kensington St. Station directly and find my diggs and dinner not too
late...

It's less than an hour from Waterloo to Windsor. People commute it
daily. I think it would be a false economy (in time) to do this. Get
to your hotel, have a shower and go for a walk. You can visit the three
fabulous St Ken museums, and go to windsor first thing the next morning,
if you are really keen to see if straight away.

--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM
antec

In article .net,
says...
Should clear the airport by around Noon midweek; I assume this will be
my best/closest opportunity to see Windsor Castle. What's the best most
cost effective way?

The following website has info about travel choice to Windsor from
Heathrow and London.

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/i...towindsor.html

Here is a website for bus service that includes Heathrow to Windsor.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/sout...home/index.php

I have traveled from Windsor to Paddington station in London. It was
reasonable in cost and easy. A local commuter train runs from Windsor to
Slough, and there you transfer to a main line train to London.

I did not see any lockers at the Windsor train station for storage of
luggage. It has been reported that storage lockers are no longer readily
available in train stations due to security concerns.

Go from Heathrow to your hotel in London. Even if you can't check in and
use the room due to late check-in times, they should agree to let you
leave your luggage.

Richard

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Mark

I agree, dont rush Windsor. Please return the next day so you have
ample time to see the complete grounds. We were there in December and
spent the whole day there.

Debbie Lipkin

Old April 27th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Tim Kroesen

Could someone explain this itinerary from the site:
http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/

How far is Heathrow from its own bus terminal??? It would seem that
Windsor Castle is 29m on bus 50B, then a Five minute walk, from Heathrow
central bus station; what is the first part of the trip about???

12:14

12:18
British Airways East Base
Walk to Hatton Cross.
Transfer time: 4 min.

12:18

12:30
Hatton Cross
Take London United 285 towards Heathrow Central Bus Station
to Heathrow Central Bus Station

Av journey time: 12 min.

12:33

13:02
Heathrow Central Bus Station
Take First Beeline 50B towards Slough Town Centre, Slough Bus
Station Wellington Street
to Windsor Castle, Windsor High Street Stop: -NW

Av journey time: 29 min.

Windsor Castle, Windsor High Street
Walk to Thames Street - Windsor.
Transfer time: 5 min.

"antec" wrote in message
In article .net,
says...

Old April 27th, 2004, 08:47 PM
antec

In article .net,
says...
[...]

Heathrow has 4 terminals. British Airways uses terminal 4 which is
separated from the other 3. You need to take a shuttle bus from termianl
4 to the central bus station.

Hatton Cross is an underground and public bus station on the perimeter
of Heathrow. Somehow the travel planer at the web site you visited
assumed you were starting from an administration building (British
Airways East Base) at Heathrow, not terminal 4. So it's instructions
have you walk across a street to take a public bus line into Heathrow,
to the central bus station.

Go to www.multimap.com enter Hatton Cross and you will get a map showing
the station. Zoom out and you will see Heathrow.

Richard
Old April 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Alan Harrison

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
link.net...
Could someone explain this itinerary from the site:
http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/

How far is Heathrow from its own bus terminal??? It would seem that
Windsor Castle is 29m on bus 50B, then a Five minute walk, from Heathrow
central bus station; what is the first part of the trip about???

12:14

12:18
British Airways East Base
Walk to Hatton Cross.
Transfer time: 4 min.

12:18

12:30
Hatton Cross
Take London United 285 towards Heathrow Central Bus Station
to Heathrow Central Bus Station

Av journey time: 12 min.

12:33

13:02
Heathrow Central Bus Station

This is utterly ridiculous and looks like a classic case of "rubbish in,
rubbish out". The central bus station is within easy walking distance of
Terminals 1, 2 and 3, and you can travel free from Terminal 4. You do NOT go
to Hatton X and then get a bus back to H'row.

Alan Harrison

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Tim Kroesen

Thanks Gents; any idea what terminal American Airlines (arriving from
Chicago USA) uses?

Tim K

Old April 28th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Joan McGalliard

Tim Kroesen wrote:

Thanks Gents; any idea what terminal American Airlines (arriving from
Chicago USA) uses?

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/h...mation_frame.h
tml
--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Alan Harrison

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Thanks Gents; any idea what terminal American Airlines (arriving from
Chicago USA) uses?

Terminal 3.

Alan Harrison