London accommodations for six people

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Robin Stober

Default London accommodations for six people

We will be a group of six in London in late June. There are four adults
and two girls aged 16 and 18. Location is important as the purpose of
the trip is to introduce the girls (and their parents) to London so we
will be going to museums and other tourist sights. While I'd like to
keep the price down, rock bottom is not the goal. Since this will be
the first international trip for four of them, comfort and safety is
important. (We're from the US.)

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Jan 5, 2:17*pm, Robin Stober wrote:
We will be a group of six in London in late June. *There are four adults
and two girls aged 16 and 18. *Location is important as the purpose of
the trip is to introduce the girls (and their parents) to London so we
will be going to museums and other tourist sights. *While I'd like to
keep the price down, rock bottom is not the goal. *Since this will be
the first international trip for four of them, comfort and safety is
important. *(We're from the US.)

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Any of the hotels in the Imperial London group should be suitable -
see www.imperialhotels.co.uk. For my money the Tavistock is the nicest
and the County the least nice (actually, you probably won't want to
stay at the County). The hotels are average, comfort levels are I
guess comparable to a decent U.S. motel (although bear in mind most
English hotel rooms are smaller than their U.S. counterparts and are
in older buildings), the locations are great, the prices are
reasonable for London.

You should also look at www.travelodge.co.uk and www.premierinn.com,
which are modern budget motel chains (though they don't use the word
'motel', they're more akin to that than a full-service hotel). They're
always comfortable and can be very cheap indeed if you luck into one
of their special offers. But be very careful which one you choose -
while some are in good central locations, other 'London' sites will be
in remote suburbia.

No accommodation except the grungiest hostel in London should really
be considered unsafe, although obviously precautions against theft are
always worthwhile, if not always really necessary.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Barney" wrote in message
[...]

--------------------

Travelodge sometimes hold Sales with room rates as low as £9 a night (they
claim). They regularly have rooms at £19 if you book at least 3 weeks in
advance (but like airlines, booking 3 weeks ahead is no guarantee those
"fares" will be available). I use them occasionally and they provide a
basic room which is fine for sleeping in but I wouldn't want to have to live
there! I find them very acceptable.

I haven't used Premier Inn and they seem to be a bit more expensive.
However, they do offer advance purchase/sale rooms as well but they're more
difficult to find. You have to get to the right part of the website
(allegedly).

There are various suburbs around London where there are local shopping and
eating (Croydon and Ealing spring to mind) and most importantly good
transport links and it might be worth looking at rates in places like that
balancing rates against extra travel costs and time.

Oh, another hotel that might be worth looking at is Jurys Inn.

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Robin Stober wrote:
We will be a group of six in London in late June. There are four adults
and two girls aged 16 and 18. Location is important as the purpose of
the trip is to introduce the girls (and their parents) to London so we
will be going to museums and other tourist sights. While I'd like to
keep the price down, rock bottom is not the goal. Since this will be
the first international trip for four of them, comfort and safety is
important. (We're from the US.)

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

With a group like yours, you might want to consider self-catering
accommodation. I can't help you with specific suggestions, as I stay
with family when in London, but I've rented self-catering places
elsewhere in the UK.
Just Google on "self-catering" and London.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Barney" wrote in message

Any of the hotels in the Imperial London group should be suitable -

very helpful information snipped

How nice to see some sensible information here in response to a question,
instead of all the drivel that certain people post on a daily basis.

I for one will try to follow Barney's example, given the chance. This
newsgroup needs people like him and fewer people like...you know who you
are.

Ian

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

On Jan 6, 6:45*am, "Ian F." wrote:
"Barney" wrote in message

Any of the hotels in the Imperial London group should be suitable -

very helpful information snipped

How nice to see some sensible information here in response to a question,
instead of all the drivel that certain people post on a daily basis.

I for one will try to follow Barney's example, given the chance. This
newsgroup needs people like him and fewer people like...you know who you
are.

Ian

Why not try renting an apartment for a week. We did this in Paris
and it was much roomier and much less expensive than hotel rooms for
this many people. Google "London vacation rentals" and there will be
many options. You can pick by price and location of the rental.
These rentals usually run from Saturday until Saturday.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2010-01-08, Tom wrote:

Why not try renting an apartment for a week. We did this in Paris
and it was much roomier and much less expensive than hotel rooms for
this many people.

A family of 6 is what apartment rental is for. The OP should definitely
look into this option.
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_188_]

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:43:29 -0500, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

In article ,
Robin Stober wrote:

We will be a group of six in London in late June. There are four
adults and two girls aged 16 and 18. Location is important as the
purpose of the trip is to introduce the girls (and their parents)
to London so we will be going to museums and other tourist sights.
While I'd like to keep the price down, rock bottom is not the goal.
Since this will be the first international trip for four of them,
comfort and safety is important. (We're from the US.)

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Victoria and I was very satisfied with my
room. The rates are fairly low for London, and the hotel is located
just a few blocks from Victoria Station and Buckingham Palace. If
you check expedia.com you can probably get a good rate there on
three rooms, but do it quickly because June is a very popular time
to visit London and the hotels book up early.

Trip Advisor Reviews at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

Dare we look...!!!???

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Robin Stober

In ,
Robin wrote:

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who provided help on this. We ended up at Citadines
Trafalgar Square. Looks like a good location, price was reasonable, so
we'll see how it goes.
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Jan 15, 4:08*pm, Robin Stober wrote:
In ,
Robin *wrote:
Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who provided help on this. *We ended up at Citadines
Trafalgar Square. *Looks like a good location, price was reasonable, so
we'll see how it goes.

Good choice - I've stayed there a couple of times, excellent location
and nice rooms.