OT - Egyptian tours

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT - Egyptian tours

I know this is totally off-topic for a European travel group, but many
of you have at least BEEN there. My brother and his wife told me
yesterday that they have "the chance" to visit Egypt, and proceeded to
ask me all sorts of questions I couldn't begin to answer. My travels
have all been opera-related, and I've never even made it as far south as
Italy. (Their musical tastes run more to country-western, and our other
interests differ widely, too.)

Because their daughter is a flight attendant for an American company,
they evidently have some sort of "deal" for air fare, so can't just book
a direct all inclusive tour. However, neither of then has ever been
outside of the U.S. before, nor do they speak anything but English.
They want to see the pyramids, and whatever other main tourist
attractions exist, but clearly booking their own side-trips could be
disastrous. Can any of you help me direct them to web-sites that might
be helpful? Like me, they are senior citizens and not wealthy. This
will be one of those "trips of a lifetime" for them, and I'd like to
help them enjoy it. Thanks, all.
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default The old cretin is always OT, anothe rpain in the neck.

Duh.

message de groupe de discussion : ...

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Feb 20, 8:13*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
[...]

What, no Aida specials?

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com is a good travel discussion board
covering the whole world. Mostly geared to independent travellers -
there's a bit of sniffiness toward package tours - but a wealth of on-
the-ground knowledge.

If they do prefer a tour, everyone I know who's been anywhere
(including Egypt) with Kuoni has spoken highly of them.
Old February 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

In message
,
Barney writes
wrote:
[...]

And if they would prefer a tour, lots of companies have prices excluding
air travel as well as inclusive prices (because they know people like to
use miles or get special deals), so they should look at a few companies.
(What the tours include will also give them some ideas of what to do and
how long it will take if they do go independently.)

Sheila
--
---
Sheila Page
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:13:19 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

They want to see the pyramids, and whatever other main tourist
attractions exist, but clearly booking their own side-trips could be
disastrous.

Most pacage-tours in Egypt include a cruise on the river Nile. You start in
Luxor and make your way down to Assuan, which takes one week. From Assuan
you can make a day-trip to Abu Simbel, which is worth visiting. The trip on
the cruise-boat is really lovely, I've done it some years ago on a
Sheraton-ship (they used to have four of them). On the ship you can book
tours and excursions.

Then from Assuan I would take a plane to Cairo and spend some days there.

Look for the time of year - in summer it can be very, and I mean very hot
(I done the trip in June and we had about 45 degrees C).

It's no problem to find your way around when you speak english in Egypt.

Regards,

Frank
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
Am Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:13:19 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

They want to see the pyramids, and whatever other main tourist
attractions exist, but clearly booking their own side-trips could be
disastrous.

Most pacage-tours in Egypt include a cruise on the river Nile.

This is definitely not true.

There are plenty of tours of (parts of Egypt) that don't include the cruise.

Though I would agree that the cruise is possibly the best way to go

tim

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 20 Feb, 20:13, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
[...]

Travelling independently around the classic Egyptian sites is far
preferable to any long organised packaged tour anyway, and very, very
easy.
The ubiquitous Nile trips between Luxor & Aswan are a total waste of
time unless a week of leisurely hours on the water is positively
enjoyed, with occasional dockings and visits in between. The various
sights between Luxor & Aswan can be seen far more quickly and in more
depth travelling by road.
Luxor is probably the best southern base, right on top of Valley of
the Kings (etc.) and Karnak. Don't forget (as many do) Dendera just
north of Luxor - one of our favourite temple sites.
In Luxor there are ample day-trip organisers to each and all of the
local sites up to Aswan.
If possible, allow a minimum of a week travelling around from Luxor.
Then similarly base at Aswan (our favourite city in the south) for a
few days for its local sites, including a day at Abu Simbel (quick
flight preferably, or longish road trip).
Then, of course, base in Cairo (rather than Giza itself) for the
Pyramids et al, (there's much else in Cairo) with an easy side trip to
Suez if that attracts.
Alexandria we'd suggest missing unless there is ample time.
All these organised day-trips are easily picked up locally - probably
best for first-time visitors.
If time allows (and inclination) we would also thoroughly recommend
basing in one of the Red Sea resorts. These in themselves are rather
'plastic', but give access to the interior of the southern Sinai,
really beautiful desert scenery plus St. Catherine's, Mount Sinai etc.
Whatever, do encourage them to go - this is one of the most enjoyable
two/three weeks going!
The other magnificent centre in the area is Eilat, Israel. Two or
three weeks based there can include Petra, Wadi Rum, Negev, Masada,
Dead Sea, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho and also overnighting to Suez
& Cairo.

Always happy to give more detailed info if wished.

Surreyman