Weather Channel: News or Theater?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

Default Weather Channel: News or Theater?

I've been watching some of the coverage of Frances on the Weather
Channel and I have to ask are these guys for real?

First they tell me that the Bahamas have lost power and now their on
the scene reporter is having to call in via satellite phone. Next
they cut to FULL VIDEO and SOUND of HER holding a sat-phone up to her
head while talking into her standard microphone. Geesch! What is
wrong with this picture?

It's fairly obvious that they have a full satellite link that either
has power or a generator. Why the fraud?

Stunts like this really make me wonder about the credibility of the
Weather Channel and the quality of their coverage during a major
weather event.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Mike Cordelli

What fraud? The trucks will be self contained power wise. They will have a
Satellite link from the truck for the images and the rest, but not a two way
telephone link. They probably relied on cellular for that, and that's down.

The reporter is communicating with the satellite phone with the people in
the studio, but they are sending images through the uplink in the truck. If
they had regular communications, they would use their normal link to an
earpiece so the reporter could hear the studio.

Are you saying they staged the hurricane just for TV?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
HDawson228

The original poster probably thinks we really didn't land on the moon and it
was staged in a sound studio.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:58:26 -0400, "
wrote:

I've been watching some of the coverage of Frances on the Weather
Channel and I have to ask are these guys for real?

First they tell me that the Bahamas have lost power and now their on
the scene reporter is having to call in via satellite phone. Next
they cut to FULL VIDEO and SOUND of HER holding a sat-phone up to her
head while talking into her standard microphone. Geesch! What is
wrong with this picture?

Hi,

I guess you were only half watching. They said they had a generator
to power their equipment.
FWIW, the Weather Channel said yesterday that the storm would slow
down and weaken. Thank goodness they were correct.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM

OK, I guess you are all missing the point.

The problem here is that they DO have a FULL bandwith voice and video
feed from a truck. However they stated that the reporter is using a
sat-phone to send in her report. Can't you see the problem with that?

It is EXACTLY the same thing as if they were showing you VIDEO of
someone reporting via a cell phone. If you have FULL two-way
bandwidth video feed what in the heck would you need the sat-phone
for? The answer is clearly that the sat-phone is strictly window
dressing.

Did you see the the coverage of her with the brick shaped sat-phone
held up to her ear while ALSO talking into her normal microphone?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Mike Cordelli

We are not the ones missing the point.

That would be you.

The truck is an Uplink.

Sending only.

Not receiving.

The downlink, studio to the reporter, is usually handled on a cell phone
link, into the truck then wireless to the headset but if the cell system is
down they will need a satellite phone.

They need the Sat phone for her to hear the studio.

I'll repeat it since you missed it the first dozen times.

They need the sat phone for her to hear the studio.

Get it, truck to studio one way communications.

No wait, we all must be idiots.

They do have a full feed from the truck. They don't have anything getting
back to her from the truck, as there isn't any service on the island. That
is what the sat phone is for.

No wait, they are making it up to convince people there actually is a
hurricane out there.