Weekly Pass on Venice Vaporetto

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Weekly Pass on Venice Vaporetto

I've bought weekly passes before, but can't remember how it works. If I buy
a weekly pass, say at 5pm on Monday afternoon, is it good until 5pm the
following Monday, or is it good for seven calendar days, Monday through
Sunday?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old January 11th, 2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Ken Blake" wrote:

I've bought weekly passes before, but can't remember how it works. If I buy
a weekly pass, say at 5pm on Monday afternoon, is it good until 5pm the
following Monday, or is it good for seven calendar days, Monday through
Sunday?

With three-day passes, the period of validity commences when they are
first stamped (not when they are purchased, but when they are
time-stamped on boarding) and lasts for 72 hours.

I don't know about weekly passes -- I didn't even know they existed,
and my Actv booklet makes no mention of them.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

We bought the Venice cards that came with 1 week of Vap ride with
them. The price is about the sme, and they had a few throw-ins that
made them worth while. When I tried to buy a 7 day pass, I was told
there were none, & should buy 2 x 3 days, which had the same daily
rate.

They were hard to come by. Available at the train station, but from a
separate booth from the #!. The Vap pass is hand written and
different from the regular pass. about 25mm x 100mm, with bright
colors on one side.. It is not stamped.

The person gave us a few extra hours on the pass, but it was illegable
anyhow. We were checked twice while there. Both times, as soon as we
pulled them out, the checker left without looking at them. I think
they are very uncommon. came with a great necklace bag to carry them.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

"Ken Blake" wrote:

I've bought weekly passes before, but can't remember how it works.
If I buy a weekly pass, say at 5pm on Monday afternoon, is it good
until 5pm the following Monday, or is it good for seven calendar
days, Monday through Sunday?

With three-day passes, the period of validity commences when they are
first stamped (not when they are purchased, but when they are
time-stamped on boarding) and lasts for 72 hours.

I don't know about weekly passes -- I didn't even know they existed,
and my Actv booklet makes no mention of them.

I'm sure I bought weekly passes the last time I was there, about four years
ago.

But thanks for the info. I'm sure that the weekly pass, if it still exists,
works the same way as the 3-day.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

gerald wrote:

We bought the Venice cards that came with 1 week of Vap ride with
them. The price is about the sme, and they had a few throw-ins that
made them worth while. When I tried to buy a 7 day pass, I was told
there were none, & should buy 2 x 3 days, which had the same daily
rate.

Thanks, then I'll look for the Venice cards when I arrive.

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Padraig Breathnach schrieb:

I don't know about weekly passes -- I didn't even know they existed,
and my Actv booklet makes no mention of them.

www.actv.it also doesn't mention a weekly pass - only 24 hours, 72 hours,
and monthly passes. However, a monthly pass (EUR 25, or EUR 29 including
buses, for a calendar month) might be good value even for a one-week stay.

.... Martin
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Martin Bienwald" wrote in message

www.actv.it also doesn't mention a weekly pass - only 24 hours, 72 hours,
and monthly passes. However, a monthly pass (EUR 25, or EUR 29 including
buses, for a calendar month) might be good value even for a one-week
stay.

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...62017b026fbf0e

But, sadly, you need to be a resident of the Veneto Region to apply for the
qualifying 'CartaVenezia'. I obtained one by a subterfuge several years ago
but they have tightened the controls considerably for issuing them now.

If you are a visitor and want to ride on the boat, then you pay the visitors
rate. It is something to do with a quaint notion that the multitude of
visitors who descend on the place like a hoard of Visigoths and blight the
lives of the residents should contribute in some way for the irritation that
they undoubtedly cause.

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Ken Blake" wrote:

gerald wrote:

We bought the Venice cards that came with 1 week of Vap ride with
them. The price is about the sme, and they had a few throw-ins that
made them worth while. When I tried to buy a 7 day pass, I was told
there were none, & should buy 2 x 3 days, which had the same daily
rate.

Thanks, then I'll look for the Venice cards when I arrive.

Look for them before you go. The way to get them is book them online,
and get a reference number. You can then pick them up at one of a
(small) number of locations when you arrive.

I didn't manage. The site was down in the few days before we went. I
don't have the url, but I am sure that google will get you there.

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:06:02 -0000, "Visitor No 3"
wrote:

[]

If you are a visitor and want to ride on the boat, then you pay the visitors
rate. It is something to do with a quaint notion that the multitude of
visitors who descend on the place like a hoard of Visigoths and blight the
lives of the residents should contribute in some way for the irritation that
they undoubtedly cause.

You get similar things in UK. In York council tax payers don't/didn't
have to pay the same car parking fees as the rest of the world.

That's a worldwide phenomenon. We went to an art museum in Cambridge, MA
a while back, and while we paid $7.50 our friends (they didn't know this
beforehand) got in for free as "Cambridge Residents."

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

If you are a visitor and want to ride on the boat, then you pay the visitors
rate. It is something to do with a quaint notion that the multitude of
visitors who descend on the place like a hoard of Visigoths and blight the
lives of the residents should contribute in some way for the irritation that
they undoubtedly cause.

You get similar things in UK. In York council tax payers don't/didn't
have to pay the same car parking fees as the rest of the world.

You sometimes get it the other way. In some French towns there is free
parking for visitors' cars, while the locals have to pay.