singapore sucks, don't go there

Old July 20th, 2019, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris in Makati

Default singapore sucks, don't go there

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:14:29 +0000 (UTC), hohum
wrote:

Chris in Makati wrote in
:

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 08:24:16 +0000 (UTC), hohum
wrote:

You must be on drugs? In Philippines,
things are cheap, I the choice of 4 types of cheap public transport
nearly everywhere. Hotel room even in a nice hotel is around $20/night.
Singapore is a **** town/country or whatever u want to call it. Also

you
won't wind up flogged or wind up in jail for criticizing the

government.

I'm not sure who is on drugs here. The Philippines has got some of the
worst value for money hotels SE Asia. I've lived in the Philippines
for over 20 years and I've never seen a "nice" hotel for $20. A
reasonable basic hotel maybe, but nothing most people would describe
as nice.

For the same money you'll get a much better quality hotel in Thailand
or Vietnam than you would in the Philippines.

I agree that thailand accomodations are better for the same price or
cheaper. I've lived near Dumaguete for several years now and there are
plenty of nice hotels in the $20 range. Depends on how you define nice.
Compare that to $100 a night for a tiny room with little or no furniture
in Singapore. Really it's a crap town, unless you already have friends
who can accomodate you there and even then it's not worth it. A simple
McDonalds meal is like $8. What a ripoff.

I've been to Dumaguete many times and I've never found any hotel there
that I would describe as "nice". Any place that costs less than $20 is
going to be a very basic hostel, which may be ok for backpackers or
those who don't mind sharing their rooms with cockroaches. I've stayed
in the Essencia hotel in Dumaguete a couple of times and I would
describe it as "adequate", but it costs almost twice that price.

You can get $20 hotels in Singapore too, but they don't normally come
with cockroaches.

And just because a country is expensive it doesn't mean it's "crap".
In general developed countries cost much more than developing
countries, but people there don't work for poverty wages.

If the Philippines was such a great place for ordinary people then why
do 10% of their population chose to work overseas?