Taking Liquor on Board Carnival Conquest

Old May 21st, 2004, 05:23 AM

Default Taking Liquor on Board Carnival Conquest

Just did this cruise from NOLA on 5/9 with BW and 2 daughters, and---NO
PROBLEMO!

We checked in early (11 AM) and were told to take our luggage with us to
pick up Sign & Sail cards, then return to the outer waiting area, where
Carnival employees would pick up luggage. (NO inspection at that
time!) Just as promised, the guys came around, collected our luggage,
and that's the last we saw of it till it arrived in our rooms around
dinner time.

3 of the 4 of us had LARGE bottles of wine in our bags. BW and my bags
were locked with TSA approved locks, and there was no evidence that they
had even been opened (locks and zippers were in same place I put them).
One daughter's bag had been opened, and an herbal supplement she takes
had one capsule emptied (I suppose it does look like finely powdered
ganja!). But, her bottle of wine was still in the bag. Other
daughter's bag had been opened (neither had locked them) and things
moved around, but wine was still present.

I assume, but don't know for a fact, that we could have taken any type
of liquor on at the initial boarding.

Now, buying liquor in ports of call is a different matter. One daughter
bought some booze in Jamaica, but a guy carried it on board for her.
Apparently, he had to pay a small fee, but he was allowed to take it on
board.

All liquor we bought in the gift shop was considered duty free and held
for delivery on Saturday before docking on Sunday. Don't think there
was any way we could buy any whole bottles for consumption in our cabin,
though can't say for sure as we didn't try.

Now, clearing Customs with liquor bought while on the cruise was
absolutely a breeze! They simply collected the Customs Declaration
cards and sped you on your way. They didn't even look at it!

That was OUR experience in Port of New Orleans. Your experience might
differ!

Stranger
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Eileen Garland

Can you tell us anything about the ship or the cruise that doesn't
pertain to liquor???

Eileen

Old May 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM
SNUMBER6

From: Eileen Garland

Can you tell us anything about the ship or the cruise that doesn't
pertain to liquor???

On a Carnival Cruise ???

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old May 21st, 2004, 08:45 PM
John Chapman

Eileen Garland wrote in message ...
Can you tell us anything about the ship or the cruise that doesn't
pertain to liquor???

Cruising is a time I like to carch up on my drinking, but I'll be
damned if I will pay the exhorbitant bar prices. If I can't bring my
own supply of tipples on board, I for one wouldn't care what else the
ship has to offer. John (an occasional imbiber)

Eileen

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:34 PM
Bchbound

In article , says...
[...]

Just sailed the Carnival Legend from NY. I had 2 bottles of wine in my
carry on backpack and my wife carried on 2 bottles of champagne, on ice
in a collapsable cooler, and nobody blinked an eye. It was never even
mentioned by the x-ray guys. We had vodka and rum in our checked luggage
which made it to our cabin with no problem.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM

John Chapman wrote:

Eileen Garland wrote in message ...
Can you tell us anything about the ship or the cruise that doesn't
pertain to liquor???

Cruising is a time I like to carch up on my drinking, but I'll be
damned if I will pay the exhorbitant bar prices. If I can't bring my
own supply of tipples on board, I for one wouldn't care what else the
ship has to offer. John (an occasional imbiber)

John,

Bar prices weren't bad--actually, cheaper than Vegas. Typical drinks
such as Magaritas were $3.95, with daily specials at $2.95. Sure, name
brand hooch goes for more, such as a shot of Bailey's (and coffee) runs
$4.50, and I suppose (but can't confirm, cause I didn't order any) stuff
such as Wild Turkey might run over $5.00. Glass of house wine was
$3.95. That ain't bad! Last time I bought wine in Vegas (at Stardust 2
years ago), it was $4.75/glass. If you don't otherwise opt out,
Carnival puts a 15% tip on top of bar charges. Again, that ain't bad.
15% of $4.50 is a mere $.675. Most of the time when I get a drink, I
tip the bartender a buck. I figured with Carnival's tip policy, I was
coming out ahead.

Stranger

Eileen

Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:58 AM

Eileen Garland wrote:

Can you tell us anything about the ship or the cruise that doesn't
pertain to liquor???

Eileen

Eileen,

Sure will--but in a different post. I made the subject of this post
"Liquor" because there have been a number of other threads that raised
questions about Carnival's policy vis a vis carrying liquor on board.
Thought I would try to shed a bit of recently acquired light on the
subject.

Stranger

Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Charles

In article , wrote:

Bar prices weren't bad--actually, cheaper than Vegas. Typical drinks
such as Magaritas were $3.95, with daily specials at $2.95. Sure, name
brand hooch goes for more, such as a shot of Bailey's (and coffee) runs
$4.50, and I suppose (but can't confirm, cause I didn't order any) stuff
such as Wild Turkey might run over $5.00. Glass of house wine was
$3.95. That ain't bad!

That isn't bad. A lot better than Celebrity which has raised their
prices. A typical drink on Galaxy a few weeks ago was $5.25. A
Margarta, $5.50. Daily drink specials were $4.25. The least expensive
glass of wine, $5.50.

--
Charles