Thinking of driving up to Norway??

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I (from Wales UK) are thinking about driving up from Calais to
Northern Norway (perhaps as far as Tromso) in late July and August. Can
anyone recommend a route, guide book, places to stay, We wish to explore
Schleswig Holstein (of "Riddle of the Sands" by Erskine Childers fame) on
the way up, and hope to return South via Finland.
Any advice gratefully received as I have no idea of the possible
dangers,(snow maybe?) and countries to avoid etc.
We have a 4wheel drive vehicle but not a real he-man type, it's actually a
Nissan x-trail diesel.

Advice , tips, etc gratefully received.
Cheers
Tom

Do they still have the ferry over to Norway from Hull (or was it
Newcastle) - might be an alternative starting and/or ending point.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Andy Pandy

"Tom" wrote in message
My wife and I (from Wales UK) are thinking about driving up from Calais to
Northern Norway (perhaps as far as Tromso) in late July and August.

Like others have said, unless there is a particular reason you want to go all
the way down to Calais and up from there, why not get the DFDS ferry from
Newcastle to Kristiansand in southern Norway? This would work out *much* cheaper
taking into account the extra fuel costs (IIRC the crossing with a cabin was not
much more than a channel crossing!).

BUT...if you go in August, book with one of the Scandinavian offices (or website
if you can understand it), *not* with the UK one (August is peak season in the
UK, but not in Scandinavia).

We crossed to Denmark and back from Sweden with DFDS in August a couple of years
ago, the UK price was about £800, the Danish price was about £450. Suprisingly,
they were happy to accept bookings from the UK.

--
Andy

Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:23 PM

In message , Tom
writes

My wife and I (from Wales UK) are thinking about driving up from Calais to
Northern Norway (perhaps as far as Tromso) in late July and August. Can
anyone recommend a route, guide book, places to stay, We wish to explore
Schleswig Holstein (of "Riddle of the Sands" by Erskine Childers fame) on
the way up, and hope to return South via Finland.
Any advice gratefully received as I have no idea of the possible
dangers,(snow maybe?) and countries to avoid etc.
We have a 4wheel drive vehicle but not a real he-man type, it's actually a
Nissan x-trail diesel.

http://www.fu.org/jkl/anabasis/sundsvall.html and the following pages
are quite a good diary of two guys driving from Stockholm up to
Northkapp to see the midnight sun.

I quite fancy it myself but when the route planner says something like
'Take E6 (North) for 2500 km' and reading about the slow traffic caused
by buses and motor-caravans, I do have second thoughts.

--
Gronkster
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Tom

Default Thinking of driving up to Norway??

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give it a miss and go South instead. Maybe
I'll fly up next year.
Cheers
Tom

Old June 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-05-23, nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message

Like others have said, unless there is a particular reason you want to go
all
the way down to Calais and up from there, why not get the DFDS ferry from
Newcastle to Kristiansand in southern Norway? ...

For me, not having to cross the Channel on a boat would be reason enough to
start any European trip from Calais. However, if he wants to explore the
Riddle of the Sands country, he does need to start a lot further south than
Kristiansand.

The proposed itinerary did not include any crossing of the Channel...