Where to buy prepaid SIM cards in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou?

Old April 9th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Default Where to buy prepaid SIM cards in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou?

Tonight my sister-in-law is going to China for a month or so. I lent her my
tri-band GSM phone, set it to 900/1800Mhz, and told her to by a pre-paid SIM
card when she gets there.

1. I know where to buy these cards in Taiwan, but what sorts of stores sell
them in China? Are they widely sold?
2. What are the rates for the initial card and for airtime?
3. Which is the best carrier, China Mobile, China Unicom, or other?
4. Are there restrictions on foreigners buying SIM cards?
5. Do the cards work in Hong Kong? Or is it better to buy SIM card in Hong
Kong for better rates? I notice that on the train from Guangzhou to Hong
Kong, people swap their SIM cards.
6. She speaks Cantonese and English; does the phone network support
Cantonese and English, or just Mandarin?

Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Peter L

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tonight my sister-in-law is going to China for a month or so. I lent her

my
tri-band GSM phone, set it to 900/1800Mhz, and told her to by a pre-paid

SIM
card when she gets there.

1. I know where to buy these cards in Taiwan, but what sorts of stores

sell
them in China? Are they widely sold?

Mobile phone stores.

2. What are the rates for the initial card and for airtime?
3. Which is the best carrier, China Mobile, China Unicom, or other?
4. Are there restrictions on foreigners buying SIM cards?

No.

5. Do the cards work in Hong Kong? Or is it better to buy SIM card in Hong
Kong for better rates? I notice that on the train from Guangzhou to Hong
Kong, people swap their SIM cards.

Better to buy them in HK.

6. She speaks Cantonese and English; does the phone network support
Cantonese and English, or just Mandarin?

Huh?
Thanks.