One way on round trip ticket on Iberia

Old March 31st, 2004, 12:18 AM
nobody

Default One way on round trip ticket on Iberia

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion ..

No problem. YOu can even call the airline after the outbound leg to tell them
they can cancel the inbound portion (freeing up a seat for someone else).
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Michael

I need to buy my daughter a one way ticket from Madrid to Amsterdam in
July. The one way fare on Iberia is about 8 times the round trip
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion .. I know that some US airlines have attempted to
crack down on that practice. I don't know if its been successful or
if Iberia would tolerate it. Thanks for any information.

--Michael in Chicago

Old March 31st, 2004, 02:20 AM
Kenny McCormack

In article , nobody
wrote:
Not the Karl Orff wrote:
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion ..

No problem. YOu can even call the airline after the outbound leg to tell
them they can cancel the inbound portion (freeing up a seat for someone
else).

I'm not disagreeing with you - I assume this is correct. In fact, just
this advice is posted here frequently (like if you want to go on a really
long trip - say a year or so) - you buy 2 round trips.

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:10 AM
mtravelkay

Kenny McCormack wrote:

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

They have no right to charge your credit card automatically, unless you
agreed to it in advance. If they feel you have breached a contract, they
are free to take legal action.

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:24 AM
Michael

Thanks everyone.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:29 AM
Ulf Kutzner

mtravelkay schrieb:

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

They have no right to charge your credit card automatically, unless you
agreed to it in advance.

You agree to lots of provisions in advance while paying by credit card.
See "small-printed conditions".

If they feel you have breached a contract, they
are free to take legal action.

Or the passenger has to take legal action to get his money back.

Regards, ULF
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:33 AM
Ulf Kutzner

Kenny McCormack schrieb:

fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion ..

No problem. YOu can even call the airline after the outbound leg to tell
them they can cancel the inbound portion (freeing up a seat for someone
else).

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

Not sure that will work out under Spanish/Dutch law but I am not an
expert for that.

You might just have been late for your return leg. I would not cancel it
in advance as that might increase legal risks for the passenger and as
airlines should care about their free seats by applying tariffs/fares.

However, quite a handful of new airlines operate in Europe on one-way
fares.

Regards, ULF

Regards, ULF
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:48 AM
mtravelkay

Ulf Kutzner wrote:
mtravelkay schrieb:

However, I don't see how this is materially different from the other thing
that is frequently discussed here - the "hidden leg" or is it "hidden
middle" or something like that. I mean, what's to stop the airlines from
deciding that they can charge your credit card the one-way fare if they
think that's what you are doing? The concensus here is always that the
airlines are entirely right to do it to you on the "hidden leg" thing.

They have no right to charge your credit card automatically, unless you
agreed to it in advance.

You agree to lots of provisions in advance while paying by credit card.
See "small-printed conditions".

I haven't seen one like this, at least for a US carrier, in the C of C.
Where did you see this? What airline?

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Michael" wrote in message
I need to buy my daughter a one way ticket from Madrid to Amsterdam in
July. The one way fare on Iberia is about 8 times the round trip
fare. Is it a problem to buy the round trip ticket and just discard
the return portion .. I know that some US airlines have attempted to
crack down on that practice. I don't know if its been successful or
if Iberia would tolerate it. Thanks for any information.

You could always easyJet it to Gatwick or Luton, and then over to Amsterdam.
easyJet fares are entirely one way.