Accommodation around Grahamstown

Old January 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Default Accommodation around Grahamstown

I'm traveling around RSA in Feb/Mar 05 (renting a car and driving). I
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on (preferrably cheaper)
accommodation in the Grahamstown area. Actually suggestions on
accommodations all along the Drakensburg - Garden Route run would be
helpful (along the 617 or N2). There are a lot of sites online that
have stuff, but everything seems pretty pricey (hostelworld,
sa-venues.com, etc.). I'm assuming there are really not many cheaper
options in Capetown or in the national parks, but is it easy to find
cheaper ($30/double room) accommodation outside of the major cities
(Grahamstown, Underberg, etc.)?

From first glance, RSA seems about as expensive as most of Europe. Is

this true, or is it just that i'm hitting all the high-priced hotel
sites? I would have thought that travel for $15-$25/per person per day
should be possible, but seems like the price is actually closer to
$40-$60/day.

Thanks for any info. Given that it's my first trip to RSA, I'm just
curious as to what the options are, outside of the stuff that comes up
within the first 2 google pages.

CHeers