Irish Conversation

Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Default Irish Conversation

Scene: the bar of a small hotel in Co. Mayo, late lunchtime.
Enter Michael and Padraig.

Michael (displaying a talent for stating the bleedin' obvious):
There's nobody tending the bar.
Padraig (looking through the door behind the bar): There's somebody on
reception. Hang on. (Steps into reception area, where Bean an Tí is
engrossed in conversation. From the doorway, he catches her eye, and
nods towards the bar. Conversation is suspended, and she bustles into
the bar.)
BT: Sorry, lads. I didn't see you there. I was gandering away. You
should have interrupted me. Oh you did, didn't you? What can I get
you?
M: I think maybe soup. What's the soup of the day?
P: It's vegetable, isn't it? Soup of the day in Ireland is always
vegetable soup.
BT: It is. But it's different here from other places. Everybody does
it differently. In fact, we do it differently here every day. Today's
vegetable soup is nothing like yesterday's.

With freshly-made well-filled sandwiches and some very good coffee, it
made a grand lunch.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

With freshly-made well-filled sandwiches and some very good coffee, it
made a grand lunch.

was there no stout involved in this?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
Padraig Breathnach

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

With freshly-made well-filled sandwiches and some very good coffee, it
made a grand lunch.

was there no stout involved in this?

Not a drop. That was the evening programme.

Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
irwell

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:37:55 +0100, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

[...]

In Killarney we went to a small cafe for lunch,
order the Irish stew, a huge plate of beef, veg
and potatoes, and a side plate with two huge
spuds complete with eyes. No beer or guiness
available either.
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Bill Lederer

We had dinner in what was supposed to be the best restaurant in
Killarney. The steak we had was fantastic! It was the first time we
had mashed potatoes with a side dish of french fries as the vegetable.

Bill & Cathy