Pisa Train Station - Left Luggage

Old December 29th, 2005, 12:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Pisa Train Station - Left Luggage

Can anyone tell me if there is a place to leave luggage for the day at
the Pisa Centrale train station? From the research I've done, I've
ascertained that the luggage lockers are no more, but I've been getting
mixed information on whether or not the manned Left Luggage counter is
available to use. Thank you

Old December 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dan wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is a place to
leave luggage for the day at the Pisa
Centrale train station? * From the
research I've done, I've ascertained that
the luggage lockers are no more, but I've
been getting mixed information on
whether or not the manned Left Luggage
counter is available to use.

Below is a past post of mine from Mar'03 and Left Luggage was just
recently opened.
But if you don't get a more recent response on whether they are still
open or not here also try posting on the 'Lonely Planet Thorntree' and
the Fodors.com Forums.
It was a 1-man operation so if it is closed ask in the station, he
might be at lunch or in the w.c. .

Also below I mention the 'A' bus, a few years before that it was the #1
bus. So check the bus stop signs and see if it is still the 'A' bus
(your sign will have the 'Leaning Tower' stop listed as 'Piazza Miracoli
Museo Opera'.
All luggage *lockers* were closed in Italy on Sept. 15, 2001. Regards,
Walter

These are directions from the Pisa Centrale Station from Mar '03.*
The Centrale Station is roughly 1.8km/1.1mi south of the Campo dei
Miracoli (Piazza del Duomo) where the "Leaning Tower" is located. The
train station and Piazza are connected by a bus route but the walk is
only ~25min.
*
*The Leaning Tower has turned one side of the street flanking the
Piazza into a long row of tacky souvenir stalls. But just turn your back
on them and you have a lovely piazza with a beautiful cathedral,
baptistery and a campanile that just happens to lean. **
**To climb the Tower you need a reservation, you can try to book
when you arrive for a later time. Or you can prebook online at
www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/ Only 30 people are allowed in each group which
leaves every hour.
**There are 5 sites at the Piazza that require admission, a combo
ticket for all 5 is €15 and they have other lesser combo tickets
available (Duomo [cathedral], Baptistery, Camposanto, Museo dell' Opera
del Duomo, Museo delle Sinopie).

PISA CENTRALE STATION:
Luggage storage (Deposito Bagagli) is manned (0600-2200) and just
recently opened (~Jan03), the self-storage lockers are still closed. On
arrival don't enter the station but turn right and walk down Track 1,
it's in a open hallway past the closed lockers. **
**When you enter the station there is a Tabacchi on the right and a
newstand on the left that both sell bus tickets (€0.80, buy 2).
**Walk out of the station and look 45deg to the right and walk over
to that lamp post ~40m away. You will see a 'bus stop sign' for the "A"
bus line (an A within a pink circle), which will also list your stop
"Piazza Miracoli Museo Opera" (in yellow).
**Also it's 1st stop is directly across the street from the station
(in front of the Hotel Jolly). So there is a bus stop sign like the one
mentioned above there also, these 2 stops are only ~40M apart. *
Your bus will have an "A" on the back and over the front entrance and in
the front will say "NAVETTA "A" Torre Park Pietrasatina". *The driver
takes his break there so just board and VALIDATE your ticket.
**Your stop could sneak past you if you're not watching or standing
so try and sit on the right side of the bus. Before you get to it you
will see a large "red cross sign" and when you get to that you will see
the fortress-type wall (~40m away-on right) with the Duomo dome above
it. (The return stop is across the street and the bus will be say
"NAVETTA "A" Ospedale Stazione FS").
*After you enter the Piazza on the right (~125m) you will come across
the "Museo delle Sinopie" you can buy the regular tickets (Duomo &
Museums) there or at the other end of the Piazza at the "Museo dell'
Opera del Duomo".

*To pick-up your reserved Tower tickets or to make a reservation, walk
to the end of the Piazza and turn left. Walking between the Duomo and
the Tower you will see a building in front of you. Walk over to it and
turn right in 30m you will pass the door to a gift shop, next is the
ticket office and next is a baggage storage room with free lockers for
those climbing the Tower. The lockers are small but will hold a daypack,
no bags or purses are allowed on the Tower climb. Outside this door is
the meeting point for those climbing the Tower. **When walking over
to the Tower position yourself within the other 29 people, meaning if
you're young or in good physical shape get in the front section of the
group, if you older, overweight, been smoking for years you might want
to take-up the rear. You will not be rushed and the rear escort is in
no hurry to get to the top *again* (that is 1st hand info BTW. **
**When you get to the bell landing (1 level from the top) you will
walk halfway around the Tower on the outside and then climb to the top.
There is a steel rail around the edge but there are 4 narrow steps that
go longways around the Tower. So your choice is to either walk right
alongside the rail or on 1 of the higher steps which puts the rail lower
in respect to you.
**I made it about 2 meters and got a major attack of vertigo (just
like in the Hitchcock film and couldn't make it around. But the other
29 people had no problem and in time my fingernail marks where I crawled
back to the doorway will fade. Also there is a sign at the meeting
point that mentions that people might experience vertigo during the
climb.

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...