Cairo hotel recommendations?

Old January 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Alan D.

Default Cairo hotel recommendations?

Hello everyone,
I'm starting to prepare for our 3 week long trip through Egypt in the
beginning of April. I was hoping that perhaps someone could recommend a good
(clean, with A/C, centraly located) and hopefully decently cheap hotel in
Cairo. I estimated the budget to be around 50USD per night. Can I get a
good place for this (or lower) price? Also, if you have any links with a
website where I could check out some Cairo hotels and perhaps make
reservations (for at least first 2 nights) it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance. I'd greatly appreciate any advices and
recommendations.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Old January 28th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Alan D." wrote:

I'm starting to prepare for our 3 week long trip through Egypt in the
beginning of April. I was hoping that perhaps someone could recommend a good
(clean, with A/C, centraly located) and hopefully decently cheap hotel in
Cairo. I estimated the budget to be around 50USD per night. Can I get a
good place for this (or lower) price? Also, if you have any links with a
website where I could check out some Cairo hotels and perhaps make
reservations (for at least first 2 nights) it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance. I'd greatly appreciate any advices and
recommendations.

Alan,

there are lots of reasonable and partly very cheap hotels. I
would even say that a reservation is not needed, unless you
arrive in the middle of the night. Last time I arrived in Cairo,
I just took a taxi and found myself a hotel.

Be aware that the taxi drivers always try to take you to their
friends' and relatives' hotels. I always resist that and simply
tell the driver where to drive and where to turn. You can do
that without any planning, though a map and a GPS helps.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Alan D.

Hi Hans and hello to everyone (one more time =)
Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I would like to make a
reservation because we will arrive in Cairo after midnight, so I'd prefer
just to catch a taxi and tell a driver my destination without having to
worry which hotel to choose. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has some
recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Old January 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Alan D." wrote:

Hi Hans and hello to everyone (one more time =)
Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I would like to make a
reservation because we will arrive in Cairo after midnight, so I'd prefer
just to catch a taxi and tell a driver my destination without having to
worry which hotel to choose. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has some
recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Alan,

yes, in this case it's probably better to choose a somewhat more
expensive hotel where somebody is at the reception through the
night.

Planes can be late too.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Colin Biggin

On 2004-01-28 07:36:20 -0500, "Alan D." said:

Hi Hans and hello to everyone (one more time =)
Thanks for your reply. As a matter of fact I would like to make a
reservation because we will arrive in Cairo after midnight, so I'd prefer
just to catch a taxi and tell a driver my destination without having to
worry which hotel to choose. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone has some
recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Alan, I stayed at the Windsor Hotel which is pretty close to downtown and
is fairly cheap. It's the hotel where Michael Palin stayed at in 'Around
the World...' . It's certainly got character!! This could mean that it
may not be what you want. I liked it but I would definitely rate it a solid
two stars (the bar alone gets one star IMHO). If you like resort type
accommodation then this is not the place.

The hotel is basically an old mens club and the rooms are "unique" (some
big, some small, no rhyme or reason). Don't know whether they have AC or
not. I was there in January and it got cool enough at night.

Most of the flights from Europe arrive late in the evening so all hotels
are used to late arrivals... I wouldn't worry about that. The Windsor
definitely has a night doorman and better yet, it's own web-site:

http://www.windsorcairo.com/mainpage.htm

The bar is amazing and I recommend Stella Export (Stella is the local brand
of beer). The one big caveat about Cairo: all the drivers HONK... all the
time... whether they need to or not.

Colin