Terrorism effect?

Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
BillRoddy

Default Terrorism effect?

What effect do you think terrorism will have on cruising?
Bill

Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
clint

None!

Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:24:19 -0700, BillRoddy wrote:

What effect do you think terrorism will have on cruising?

It will depend on the act and where it happens. A direct hit on a cruise
ship would cause a massive downturn in cruising. A direct hit on a cruise
ship in American waters might cripple the industry for years.

It took the industry two years + to get over the 9/11 hump and that had
nothing to do with ships/water.
--
"The "decent, average man and woman" are only happy with cookie cutter
views matching their own. Controversy offends them."
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:49 PM
Surfer E2468

My thought on terrorism is live life to the fullest,I was taught when
growing up,your life is planned out for you ,your time to be born,and
your time to die.You cannot change it.You just do not always know when,
how, or where,or why.
surfer e2468

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Mark O. Polo

Bill:

Your question: What effect do you think terrorism will have upon
cruising?

My thoughts: 1) Cruise Ships and their terminals are choice targets.
Recent attacks on transportation facilities (planes, trains, busses and
subways) are most effective from a terrorist standpoint as people sit up
and take notice very quickly.

2) Piracy is still extant and ship-boarding techniques are more than
adequate to the task. See:

http://www.securitymanagement.com/library/001617.html

This article also mentions that Al Queda has been involved in piracy and
is well versed in the art.

3) Cruise ships are vulnerable. I only have to recall seeing countless
tagged bags left by a departed bus at the curbside at FLL cruise
terminals with no attendants in sight to realize how easy it would have
been to leave an unauthorized bag (using a purloined baggage tag) among
them for quick delivery ... and perhaps detonation ... aboard a huge
cruise ship.

4) One big incident involving a bomb on a cruise ship would be
devastating inasmuch as, unlike passengers on trains and subways who
have to get somewhere, most passengers aboard cruise ships can look to
other attractions and can forego or postpone their cruises.

5) If I were a cruise line official of an upper category I would be very
worried indeed.

Aloha

Old July 24th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Chrissy Cruiser :

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:24:19 -0700, BillRoddy wrote:

What effect do you think terrorism will have on cruising?

It will depend on the act and where it happens. A direct hit on a cruise
ship would cause a massive downturn in cruising. A direct hit on a cruise
ship in American waters might cripple the industry for years.

It took the industry two years + to get over the 9/11 hump and that had
nothing to do with ships/water.

I have a friend who won't cruise because he's certain that a cruise
ship will be the next target.

Me, I'm expecting it at a major sporting event. And the three biggest
events this year were all in Indianapolis.

--
dillon
Linux, it's not just an OS, it's a way

And a damn fine one, at that.
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Dick Goldhaber

In an amazing turn of events, British police, who yesterday seemed to have the most recent terrorist attack under control, today admitted that the man who was shot in the head five times on a crowded "carriage" was killed by mistake.

http://tinyurl.com/e2ltq

Al Quida must have had a hoot over that.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message ...
Thus spake
(Surfer E2468) :

My thought on terrorism is live life to the fullest,I was taught when
growing up,your life is planned out for you ,your time to be born,and
your time to die.You cannot change it.You just do not always know when,
how, or where,or why.
surfer e2468

My mother is 82. About 2 1/2 years ago, she announced that if she was
killed in a terrorist attack she's stand at the gates of hell and
"kick their asses in".

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Mark O. Polo

Ray:

The bags I saw being loaded directly on the ship from the wharf had not
gone through any bomb-detecting machine. If one is on board then
detonating at the time of inspection would serve the purpose. Anyway,
with thousands of bags moved into the ship within a few hours there
might be the most perfunctory examination. I would not put too much
confidence in that. Baggage handling vulnerabilities or not, the
statement that cruise ships are vulnerable still stands.

Aloha