Cheap Tickets YEG to Ukraine?

Old April 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Default Cheap Tickets YEG to Ukraine?

The damn Canadian government is supporting ridiculously high price
fixing, to discourage Canadians from travelling abroad!!

It's tempting to make the government the scapegoat for this, but
international airfares are not fixed by the government. They are fixed
by IATA, which airlines voluntarily join. The whole point of IATA is
to keep internaional fares, and the airlines' profits, artificially
high.

If you don't want to pay the IATA fixed price, you can fly on an
airline that is a non-IATA member. But good luck finding one. Almost
all airlines that have scheduled intercontinental routes have found it
more profitable to join the cartel than to try and compete with it.

Old April 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Don't forget to add on the $300 Canadian air tax, plus departure taxes
at all airports,etc...

It so confusing sometimes looking at airline prices. They look cheap at
first glance but when you add all the taxes. I personally prefer to
look at the whole price. The Toronto-Kiev flight from Aeroflot was the
cheapest I could find too.
I looked at the website I usually use www.lessno.com. Its an ease
comparing flights With other airlines the prices rises
significantly.

Old April 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Kiraly schrieb:

The damn Canadian government is supporting ridiculously high price
fixing, to discourage Canadians from travelling abroad!!

It's tempting to make the government the scapegoat for this, but
international airfares are not fixed by the government. They are fixed
by IATA, which airlines voluntarily join. The whole point of IATA is
to keep internaional fares, and the airlines' profits, artificially
high.

But the Canadian government, or a government agency, is also involved.
See http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/air-aerien/...atariff_e.html

Don't know exactly what their powers are.

Regards, ULF
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Ulf Kutzner wrote:
Kiraly schrieb:
The damn Canadian government is supporting ridiculously high price
fixing, to discourage Canadians from travelling abroad!!

I don't see any reason a country as large as Canada would discourage
travelling abroad. It seems such a cheap tactic to rise the prizes just
for that. I do believe however there are large interests keeping
transatlantic prices high enough. We are talking about huge traffic
here. Thousands of passangers.

Old April 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

These multi-comparison sites, like lessno, don't produce very good
answers. I did not register for their Active Search, which may well
improve it, but the result it came up with on my search was over
$2700.00! (But it included several different airlines)
Aeroflot may very well have the best fares out of Toronto, but will
involve a change of flight in Moscow - and likely a change of
airport or at least terminal there, neither of which is recommended.
Oh, and whoever was under the impression IATA fares had much
to do with what is actually paid, has not had a look around recently!

Old April 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Aerosvit Ukraine Airlines has a special fare Toronto-Kiev for only
US$529 return-Approx. C$620!!

Mind you, the communist Canadian government charges almost C$1,800
using Air CaCa to get to Toronto from western Canada!!

Old April 13th, 2006, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

In rec.travel.usa-canada Asterix wrote:
Aerosvit Ukraine Airlines has a special fare Toronto-Kiev for only
US$529 return-Approx. C$620!!

Sounds like a good deal to me! Is that fare valid for when you want to
travel?

Mind you, the communist Canadian government charges almost C$1,800
using Air CaCa to get to Toronto from western Canada!!

That's nonsense, domestic airfares in Canada have been deregulated for
years and the government has *nothing* to do them. Air Canada Tango YEG
nonstop to YYZ can be bought in Air Canada's website for $316 return, May
departure and June return. Save a buck by using WestJet instead, $315
return for the same dates.

Chalk your frustration up to inexperience and lack of knowledge on how to
get good deals on airfares, not up to the government.

--
K.
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

Oh, and whoever was under the impression IATA fares had much
to do with what is actually paid, has not had a look around recently!

Airlines cannot directly sell international tickets for less than the IATA
published fare. But some travel agents can and do. That's why it's a
waste of money to buy an international ticket directly from an airline.
Put a little effort into finding an agent who can undercut the IATA
published fare and your wallet will thank you.

--
K.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:50:27 GMT, (Király) wrote:

In rec.travel.usa-canada Asterix wrote:
Aerosvit Ukraine Airlines has a special fare Toronto-Kiev for only
US$529 return-Approx. C$620!!

Sounds like a good deal to me! Is that fare valid for when you want to
travel?

Mind you, the communist Canadian government charges almost C$1,800
using Air CaCa to get to Toronto from western Canada!!

That's nonsense, domestic airfares in Canada have been deregulated for
years and the government has *nothing* to do them. Air Canada Tango YEG
nonstop to YYZ can be bought in Air Canada's website for $316 return, May
departure and June return. Save a buck by using WestJet instead, $315
return for the same dates.

Your figures are balderdash, since you are ignoring all the fees and
taxes from the communist Canada government.
These are almost $300 per person from western Canada to Toronto.

There almost no seats available on the so-called seat sales from
western Canada to Toronto.

Chalk your frustration up to inexperience and lack of knowledge on how to
get good deals on airfares, not up to the government.

Idiots such as you, who nothing about the reality of paying for
transport from western Canada, are a great cause for western
alienation.

Many of us just refuse to fly on Air Caca, choosing to fly via the
USa, even if a bit longer, but always much less expensive!

Old April 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.marketplace,rec.travel.air

In rec.travel.europe Asterix wrote:

Your figures are balderdash, since you are ignoring all the fees and
taxes from the communist Canada government.
These are almost $300 per person from western Canada to Toronto.

Even more nonsense. Taxes and fees on the return WestJet fare of $315 I
quoted above are $113.37 if booked on the WestJet website. That makes a
grand total of $428.37. Where are you getting your ridiculous numbers
from? Business class fares?

There almost no seats available on the so-called seat sales from
western Canada to Toronto.

Even more nonsense. Wait a minute, you haven't told us when you plan to
go. Are you leaving this weekend? If so, I'm not surprised all the cheap
seats are sold out. But if you are planning a few months in advance, I
don't believe you cannot find any seats on sale. Not for a minute.

Idiots such as you, who nothing about the reality of paying for
transport from western Canada, are a great cause for western
alienation.

Oh really? I live in Vancouver. Can't get much more Western in Canada
than that. I just flew to Edmonton six days ago, flew back two days ago,
and booked it myself. Last summer I flew Vancouver to Budapest. I
wanted to stop in Hamilton, Ontario for four days each way. I booked
Vancouver-Edmonton-Hamilton, and Hamilton-Calgary-Vancouver on the
WestJet website, all were seat sale price. Ticket cost about $450
including all taxes and fees. For $45 I rented a car in Hamilton
and dropped it off at the Toronto airport to catch my flight to
Budapest. I bought the tickets for that flight from my local discount
travel agent here in Vancouver for *hundreds* less than from any online
source, including the airline's own website.

So I know a fair amount about paying for travel from Western Canada, much
more than you if you can't find a cheaper fare than $1,800 for Edmonton
to Toronto.

Getting back on topic:

1) Print out the seat sale price on that Aerosvit Toronto-Kiev flight,
take it around to some discount travel agents, and ask if they can beat
it. Don't bother going to Thomas Cook or any of those kinds of agents,
you need a *discounter*. Have you tried Travel Cuts, like I suggested at
the beginning of the thread?

2) Ask the agent if she can get a domestic YEG-YYZ ticket *added on* to
the Aerosvit ticket. Domestic flights that are attached to international
flights on the same ticket like this can cost a fraction of what those
domestic flights cost if booked as seperate tickets.

3) If the agent can do neither 1 nor 2, then book the Aerosvit flight
directly with Aerosvit, and book your own domestic flight on WestJet's
website. Total cost: C$620 + C$315 = C$935 (plus taxes). That is NOT a
bad deal for a return flight from Western Canada to Ukraine. But I still
think you can get a cheaper deal if you look around hard enough for the
right travel agent.

It would be nice for you to realize that I have been *helping* you
throughout this thread. Maybe I should stop doing that.

--
K.