dress code's and traveling in New Zealand

Old February 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Default dress code's and traveling in New Zealand

Coming from Colorado and how informal people are there, I am curious
about New Zealand. Are there places in NZ where if you go to eat at,
etc. they are particular on dress code such as no jeans, sandals,
shorts, etc and dress clothes is expected ? I plan on traveling down
there next January. I am wanting to pack very light as well.

Also, do dress codes vary from region to region such as cities
expecting more versus places like Queenstown (by the mountains) where
people are more informal ?
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Peter

In article , itworker69
@netscape.net says...
Coming from Colorado and how informal people are there, I am curious
about New Zealand. Are there places in NZ where if you go to eat at,
etc. they are particular on dress code such as no jeans, sandals,
shorts, etc and dress clothes is expected ? I plan on traveling down
there next January. I am wanting to pack very light as well.

Also, do dress codes vary from region to region such as cities
expecting more versus places like Queenstown (by the mountains) where
people are more informal ?

I think if you treat New Zealand as Colorado in this respect, you'll do
just fine. The sort of places where jeans and sandals will see you
refused entry are upmarket places such as swanky restaurants and trendy
nightclubs. If you need a tie to get in, then jeans and sandals won't be
accepted.

New Zealand is set up for tourists, and you'll find that the
overwhelming majority of establishments will accept clean, tidy casual
wear. Shorts in summer. If you are planning to go to upscale places,
then pack accordingly, and if you are staying with or visiting friends,
they won't take you to some place where you can't get in - or if they
are then they'll lend you clothing.

Queenstown is a bit of an odd place in that you'll find millionaires
rubbing elbows with backpackers, but again, I shouldn't worry unless you
plan on staying and eating at some of the ritzy hotels that line the
lakeshore.

I'm going to New Zealand next month, and I'm not planning to take much
in the way of clothing. For the flight over I'll wear a loose polo shirt
with a cotton pullover in my carryon pack. Loose cargo pants (no belt),
casual shoes which I'll take off as soon as I sit down on the plane. The
objective is to be comfortable and not set off any alarms going through
security checks, so I'll leave my belt with heavy buckle in my checked
luggage as well as my hiking boots.

In my bag I'll have my boots - carefully cleaned because the Kiwis are
very strict on this and may check going through customs - a pair of
chinos, a pair of shorts, some T-shirts and polo shirts, a light jacket
which I can wear on top of my pullover. Plastic sandals for walking
short distances. Belt, cap, underwear and socks. I plan on doing a
laundry run halfway through the week I'm there.

I'm not intending to dine upmarket. B&B dining room and hotel bar will
be about as far as I go in that direction. Normally I'd just stay at
backpacker hotels, cheap and cheerful, but my wife is a bit more fussy.

This will be my third visit to New Zealand. I love the place. where are
you planning to go?

Pete
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Peter

In article , itworker69
@netscape.net says...

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Ken Pisichko

The reason for this is soil born pathogens. NO ONE on this planet wants to
spread disease by any means, so countries are particularly concerned about
insects and soil on the possessions and chattel's of off-shore arrivals.
That is also why certain foodstuffs are prohibited entry onto some
countries.......

Ken
Canada

Old February 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM
A Mate

Dress Codes are not the hassle they can be in the USA in NZ. It's a tourist
oriented informal sort of country.

om...

Old February 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the insight I pretty well figured this but wanted to
confirm.

I plan on travering the whole country especially if I get three weeks.
My focus would be on Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown, and a few other
places - Duedin (sp?) and Inv (sp?).

[ SNIP ]

Old February 18th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Peter

In article , itworker69
@netscape.net says...
Thanks for the insight I pretty well figured this but wanted to
confirm.

I plan on travering the whole country especially if I get three weeks.
My focus would be on Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown, and a few other
places - Duedin (sp?) and Inv (sp?).

Auckland isn't much chop IMHO. It's just a city with a bit of a harbour
and a tall building for tourists to admire the view. One day tops.

Wellington is much more interesting, and if you see nothing else in New
Zealand, see Te Papa, the national museum. It is fantastic.

Queenstown is marvellous, though it's heavily tourist-oriented, far more
than any other place except maybe Rotorua. Take the chairlift up to
Bob's Peak and have the buffet dinner while you admire the view with
bungee jumpers.

Christchurch is charming. Best botanic gardens in the world. Take a punt
on the Avon if you are bringing a partner. Dunedin is small but
picturesque and the drive out to the Albatross colony is superb, albeit
a bit nerve-wracking towards the end.

The rest of the country is absolutely glorious. The cities are OK, but
in most of New Zealand the scenery just leans in the car window and says
hello. South Island more so than North.

Mountains, glaciers, rivers, volcanoes, wilderness, farmland - it's just
magic.