Fall Foliage in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto Area?

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM
JMSinLA

Default Fall Foliage in Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto Area?

I'm heading off to Buffalo/Niagara and Toronto next weekend (10/11) -- can
someone who's up there tell me what the fall foliage projections are for
that time?

Also-- I'm going to be in Toronto for six days -- can anyone recommend any
good day trips? I like walking, pretty scenery, good photography
opportunities, interesting small towns, etc.

Thanks...

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Keith Willshaw

"JMSinLA" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm heading off to Buffalo/Niagara and Toronto next weekend (10/11) -- can
someone who's up there tell me what the fall foliage projections are for
that time?

Anywhere between mid point and peak according to

http://www.empire.state.ny.us/tourism/foliage/main.htm

Also-- I'm going to be in Toronto for six days -- can anyone recommend any
good day trips? I like walking, pretty scenery, good photography
opportunities, interesting small towns, etc.

Thanks...

Heading east along the lake shore are Port Hope, Cobourg and Grafton and
perhaps
a little too far is Kingston Ontario but its a lovely town and you can get
some great
photos from the fortress which overlooks it.

West you have St Catharines and Niagara on the Lake (highly recommended)
and
to the North is Orillia, a pretty town on Lake Couchiching.

Keith

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Dave Smith

JMSinLA wrote:

I'm heading off to Buffalo/Niagara and Toronto next weekend (10/11) -- can
someone who's up there tell me what the fall foliage projections are for
that time?

Also-- I'm going to be in Toronto for six days -- can anyone recommend any
good day trips? I like walking, pretty scenery, good photography
opportunities, interesting small towns, etc.

The leaves are just barely starting to turn in the Niagara area, so there is
not yet any display of colour. Maybe in a week or two. If you want to see
fall foliage, take a trip north from Toronto. A 2 1/2 hour drive up to the
Muskoka area or Algonquin Park should provide some good fall colours. I am
sure that you can find enough to do in Toronto for six days.

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Norm Soley

"JMSinLA" wrote in message ink.net...
I'm heading off to Buffalo/Niagara and Toronto next weekend (10/11) -- can
someone who's up there tell me what the fall foliage projections are for
that time?

No sign of significant change yet, but expect it could come on fast when it does.
It was just starting to show in Lanark County two weeks ago so I expect it
will be pretty nice in points north.

Also-- I'm going to be in Toronto for six days -- can anyone recommend any
good day trips? I like walking, pretty scenery, good photography
opportunities, interesting small towns, etc.

St. Jacob's - nice pretty if a bit commercial small town with many Amish/Mennonite
residents and businesses.

Old October 6th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Canada Smiling

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"JMSinLA" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Hamilton/Dundas has some nice trails colours are changing

Old October 6th, 2003, 05:18 PM
John Ramsay

Norm Soley wrote:

"JMSinLA" wrote in message ink.net...
I'm heading off to Buffalo/Niagara and Toronto next weekend (10/11) -- can
someone who's up there tell me what the fall foliage projections are for
that time?

No sign of significant change yet, but expect it could come on fast when it does.
It was just starting to show in Lanark County two weeks ago so I expect it
will be pretty nice in points north.

Also-- I'm going to be in Toronto for six days -- can anyone recommend any
good day trips? I like walking, pretty scenery, good photography
opportunities, interesting small towns, etc.

St. Jacob's - nice pretty if a bit commercial small town with many Amish/Mennonite
residents and businesses.

Add in Elora, a short drive from St Jacob's, to make a day of it in
interesting small towns.

You'll also see Amish in horsecarts along the way.

There's hiking in St Jacob's from right in town along
the Conestogo River.

Nice hiking in Elora from right in town along the Elora Gorge
of the Grand River, with photo ops.

Quite do-able in 1 day from Toronto. We do it 3 - 4 times a year
from the Niagara Falls area which is a slightly longer drive.

Old October 11th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Aramis

Colours are barely turning in Toronto - won't be much to see this weekend.
You will need to go a couple hours drive north to really see something.

ink.net...