Canada And Alaska Travel Advice

Old January 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Luke

Default Canada And Alaska Travel Advice

G'day,

Myself and 2-3 others are heading to Canada and Alaska around
July-August for a month from Australia. What we want to know is
where to go, what to do and see? We will be travelling from
Vancouver up the west coast up to Alaska (no destination as yet)
by car.

Cheers!

Luke.
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Icono Clast

Go to Google's "Advanced Groups Search", fill in the name of this
group and ask it to search for the words "Alaska", "Canada", "July",
and "August". If, after reading the 136 information-laden posts you
are still thirsting for information, delete from the search "July" and
"August" to get 4,660 information-laden posts. If, after reading
those, you have any _specific_ questions, many here will happily help.

Old January 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Brian Wasson

Actually, you can get a bit closer to the coast, at least closer than
the Alaska Hwy., by taking the Cassiar Hwy. north through B.C. to
where it connects with the Alcan near Watson Lake. A few small roads
lead off the Cassiar to connect with coastal towns like Bella Coola,
Prine Rupert and Stewart. The Cassiar still retains a more remote feel
than the Alcan, and gets less traffic (but more truck traffic). With a
month you could easily drive up the Cassiar, connect with the Alcan,
see Alaska and the Yukon, then head back down the Alcan to Montana
(see Glacier and Yellowstone national parks) and back to Vancouver. It
would be a lot of driving, but you'd see some beautiful country.

Feel free to look over my Web site about driving to and around Alaska
to get some suggestions about what to see and do. I haven't updated it
for a while, but the info is still useful. See
http://members.aol.com/briwasson/alaskalinks.html.

lid wrote in message . ..
On 6 Jan 2004 20:01:39 -0800,
(Luke) wrote:

G'day,

Myself and 2-3 others are heading to Canada and Alaska around
July-August for a month from Australia. What we want to know is
where to go, what to do and see? We will be travelling from
Vancouver up the west coast up to Alaska (no destination as yet)
by car.

Cheers!

Luke.

Luke:
You won't be travelling up the west coast from Vancouver to Alaska by
car. Once you get about 75 miles north of Vancouver there is NO road.
To get to alaska by car you have to travel inland through the interior
of BC and then take the Alaska highway - a long trip
You can travel from Vancouver to Vancouver Island by ferry, then drive
to the northern tip of Vancouver Island and take another car ferry to
Prince Rupert but from there you still have to go back inland and head
north and across the Alaska Higway.