SanDiego or Santa Barbara?

Old March 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
palmer

Default SanDiego or Santa Barbara?

Hello,
I am planning a trip with my family (2 adult + 2 teenagers) to
California for next Aug.2004 from Europe.

We will spend 5 days in San Francisco area and then down to Santa
Barbara or San Diego (La Jolla)for other 5-7 days.

Where would it be better to lodge S.Barbara or S.Diego ?

Which area is more interesting of the two ?

We are looking for nice beaches and some place to visit (Parks,
museums,......)

Could somebody point me to a photo website of S.Barbara and/or S.Diego?

Thanks

Palmer
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Runge

more hotel room in San Diego...
More places of interest also
But Santa Barbara is quite pleasant

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:04 AM
wendy

Which area is more interesting of the two ?

don't waste too much of your day at the San Diego Zoo, go to Seaworld
instead - much better!
wendy

--
--------------------------------------
ºoº Going to WDW September '04

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Peter L

"palmer" wrote in message
Hello,
I am planning a trip with my family (2 adult + 2 teenagers) to
California for next Aug.2004 from Europe.

We will spend 5 days in San Francisco area and then down to Santa
Barbara or San Diego (La Jolla)for other 5-7 days.

Where would it be better to lodge S.Barbara or S.Diego ?

San Diego is a much bigger city, thus has more things to do, so to speak.

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Alan Pollock

wendy wrote:
Which area is more interesting of the two ?

don't waste too much of your day at the San Diego Zoo, go to Seaworld
instead - much better!
wendy

That's the second post in a day, in two different threads in this NG where you
put the San Diego Zoo down. Did you have a bad experience there? Some kind of
personal altercation with someone?

I've been to a bunch of Zoos around the world and while I'm not generally wild
about Zoos (other than the primate sections), I found the San Diego Zoo lived
up to its reputation quite nicely. Lots of walking, quite lush, lots of
animals - hell, what was there not to like? Nex

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Hatunen

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 04:20:45 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

wendy wrote:
Which area is more interesting of the two ?

don't waste too much of your day at the San Diego Zoo, go to Seaworld
instead - much better!
wendy

That's the second post in a day, in two different threads in this NG where you
put the San Diego Zoo down. Did you have a bad experience there? Some kind of
personal altercation with someone?

Personally, I think the San Diego Zoo is over-rated, especially
by its own PR people. It's a very nice zoo but it's not as great
as it proclaims itself.

I've been to a bunch of Zoos around the world and while I'm not generally wild
about Zoos (other than the primate sections), I found the San Diego Zoo lived
up to its reputation quite nicely. Lots of walking, quite lush, lots of
animals - hell, what was there not to like? Nex

Chacun a son gout.

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Alan Pollock

wrote:

wendy wrote:
Which area is more interesting of the two ?

don't waste too much of your day at the San Diego Zoo, go to Seaworld
instead - much better!
wendy

That's the second post in a day, in two different threads in this NG where you
put the San Diego Zoo down. Did you have a bad experience there? Some kind of
personal altercation with someone?

Personally, I think the San Diego Zoo is over-rated, especially
by its own PR people. It's a very nice zoo but it's not as great
as it proclaims itself.

I've been to a bunch of Zoos around the world and while I'm not generally wild
about Zoos (other than the primate sections), I found the San Diego Zoo lived
up to its reputation quite nicely. Lots of walking, quite lush, lots of
animals - hell, what was there not to like? Nex

Chacun a son gout.

Ah gout, no wonder, all that walking. Painful.

Seriously, both of you are so vague. Tell me what you like better at other
zoos, and/or what you don't like at the SD zoo. Specifically. It'd make for
more interesting posts, and folks intending to visit would get a better idea,
rather than relying on 'hey, it's over-rated, or 'not so good'. If you're
going to put a place down, at least say why.

Honi soit qui mal y pense, unless you explain. Nex

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Bbooth202

Sine Ilive in San Diego(La Jolla) myself there area more choices of hotel here
in San Diego and there is the Zoo for the teenagers and also there is Legoland
and more shopping malls here for them to window shop. San Diego is more kid
friendly for things to do than Santa Barbara.

BBOOTH
living in San Diego
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
thomas goodwin

wrote:

wendy wrote:

[...]

I'll answer your zoo question, if y'all promise to reply in your
native language. The North Carolina Zoo is vastly more interesting.
The exhibit areas are divided in continents, with North America and
Africa currently complete, and Australia opening this spring. Animal
enclosers are very large ---- the elephants have perhaps 100 acreas to
roam vs. a small pen in San Diego. The whole San Diego zoo is way too
cramped. I grew up in San Diego and enjoyed the zoo immensely as a
kid, maybe because adults were 50 cents, kids under 16 were free. Then
they started commercializing it. I haven't been there in about five
years .... have they changed the snake house since 1950?
tarheel tom
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
palmer

Default Mount Palomar ? SanDiego or Santa Barbara?

Thanks for the good idea to split S.Barbara - S.Diego.

Actually we have been already to Sea World in a prev. trip where we
lodged in L.A. (you may guess we like California )
I was thinking to visit S.Diego/La Jolla and to take them to Mount Palomar.
Is the observatory interesting ?

Cheers

Palmer

brenda wrote:

Why not do both? 2 nights in Santa Barbara, which I think you & your
wife will enjoy more and 3 nights in San Diego, where I think the kids
would be happier. Santa Barbara has wonderful restaurants, shopping,
culture, the Mission, beaches & wine country.

San Diego is more teen-oriented - I personally like the zoo, I think
Balboa Park is fabulous, Old Town very interesting, Seaworld is always
fun, the Wild Animal Park is great, but it can get very hot in August,
La Jolla is wonderful and, of course, the beaches.