buying / renting cars in America

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Scottish Quilter

Default buying / renting cars in America

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:50:17 +0000, johnlawson
wrote:

Hi,

I'm arriving (from Edinburgh, Scotland) in Chicago on April 23 to
drive Route 66. I haven't booked a rental car yet and wondered if anyone
could avise me on the best / cheapest way to do this.

Most companies
charge a $500 one way rental fee, on top of the weekly rate, as the car
will be delivered to Los Angeles.

Would it be possible for me to buy a
cheap car and insure it for three weeks?

My ideal car would be American
(of course) a little old and dented but secure and reliable. (I know,
I've seen too many movies).

Any advice?

John.

Definitely if you are renting ( and the consensus on the ng seems to
be you should) arrange it here in the UK------------Trailfinders will
find you a good rate. The insurance issue is easier solved here as
many US citizens Credit Card covers them and ours don't over there!
Elma in Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Scottish Quilter wrote:

Definitely if you are renting ( and the consensus on the ng seems to
be you should) arrange it here in the UK------------Trailfinders will
find you a good rate. The insurance issue is easier solved here as
many US citizens Credit Card covers them and ours don't over there!

Just a note, the credit cards only cover damage to the rental car, maybe
personals belongings and some others. NOT liability which is the biggie.
Old March 29th, 2004, 06:47 PM
gman99

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
Scottish Quilter wrote:

Definitely if you are renting ( and the consensus on the ng seems to
be you should) arrange it here in the UK------------Trailfinders will
find you a good rate. The insurance issue is easier solved here as
many US citizens Credit Card covers them and ours don't over there!

Just a note, the credit cards only cover damage to the rental car, maybe
personals belongings and some others. NOT liability which is the biggie.

The rental company is responsible for carrying liability coverage on all
their cars.
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
gman99

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

In Canada I believe the minimum is a million PLPD (Public liabilty and
property damage). The again, we're not as prone to the multimillion
dollar law suits so common in the US.

For car rental companies? In B.C., the minimum libility coverage is
only C$200k.

http://www.icbc.com/Insurance/insura...ov_thpart.html

Does that have something to do with BC having a public insurance system ?
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

In Canada I believe the minimum is a million PLPD (Public liabilty and
property damage). The again, we're not as prone to the multimillion
dollar law suits so common in the US.

For car rental companies? In B.C., the minimum libility coverage is
only C$200k.

http://www.icbc.com/Insurance/insura...ov_thpart.html

Does that have something to do with BC having a public insurance system ?

Everything to do with it. Is minimum insurance a federal mandate?
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM
gman99

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
In article ,
(gman99) wrote:

In Canada I believe the minimum is a million PLPD (Public liabilty
and property damage). The again, we're not as prone to the
multimillion dollar law suits so common in the US.

For car rental companies? In B.C., the minimum libility coverage is
only C$200k.

http://www.icbc.com/Insurance/insura...ov_thpart.html

Does that have something to do with BC having a public insurance system
?

Everything to do with it. Is minimum insurance a federal mandate?

Nope...provincial responsibility