Canadian flag on the backback myth

Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:56 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Canadian flag on the backback myth

"devil" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:16:36 +0000, Barney wrote:

Well my experience found that those who are rude and impolite are
mostly American. I realize only a few can spoil it for others. I
have met Americans in Canada that even refered to this country as a
"third world country"

To be fair though, I suspect Americans stand out for a bunch of reason,
starting with there being more of them.

People may just not notice those who behave. Probably think they are
Canadian :-).

Another issue: surely this sort of observation will bepend upon places and
destinations, and what type of tourism.

BTW, last time I saw obnoxious tourists in a restaurant, in Jasper it was,
they group of overly noisy folks, behaving like in conquered land, was
French. Then, digressing since these are not tourists, there is always a
group of overly loudy elderly Cantonese ladies in the back of the city
bus. Again, if they expected other folks to understand them, they would
probably make themselves less obnoxious too.

An interesting observation, because I've always found the Cantonese language
to be rather loud and harsh. My wife, who is Chinese and whose primary
language is Mandarin (though she can also speak Cantonese) agrees.
Mandarin, IMHO, is a more fluid and melodious language. However, I don't
think the character of the Cantonese language (or any other language for
that matter) is inherently obnoxious -- the additional tonal variations, as
well as the specific phoneme set, more or less dictate that other cultures
will find it harsh.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Ken Ehrett

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:37:13 GMT, devil wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:17:22 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Xomicron writes:

Is this some kind of Canadian folk legend and if so is it true that most
people believe it.

It's wishful thinking.

Most people in the world wouldn't even recognize a Canadian flag, much
less accord its wearer any special kindnesses.

I suspect many people do recognize the Canadian flag. After all it's
quite distinctive.

So is a dose of gonorrhea especially if you have to take a **** but
that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:10 AM
Ken Ehrett

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:22:22 +0100, "nick"
wrote:

"Xomicron" wrote in messag

I was just wondering, is it really true that most Canadian's believe the
myth that people in the rest of the world will treat them better if they
know they are Canadian.

Don't Americans pretend to be Canadians while travelling to avoid being spat
at and abused?

Don't limey homo junk dealers cruise the net for young arab boys and
forget to use a throw away email address for replies? I know its
always safe to travel in your neighborhood since everyone there is too
busy spitting on and abusing you to notice me.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Van

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:52:03 +0000 (UTC), Xomicron
wrote:

Van wrote in
:

They don't go to a local restaurant and demand food as served at home.
They usualy don't spend the day telling their hosts how things are so
much better at home and try to make up for bad manners with a huge tip.

I recall while we were in London on a cruise on the Thames. There were
Germans speaking very quietly amongst themsleves, Japanese speaking
quitely amonst themselvers and us who were quiet and talking amonst
ourselves and enjoying the atmosphere. Then a family of Americans came
aboard. Everyone on board knew they were Americans beacuse the
Americans made sure everyone knew and boy they were talking loud and
they were actually talking amonst themselves but disturbing everyone
else on board with their loudness..

That's a cultural thing. Americans tend to be more outgoing than most
Europeans.

I suppose that would be a politically cvorrect way of putting it. As I
Canadian I felt the Anericans were very inconsiderate to say the least.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
devil

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:56:13 -0700, PTRAVEL wrote:

"devil" wrote in message
[...]

But my point was that, in circumstances where they expected no one to
understand them, they had no hesitation in speaking very loud.

That was the obnoxious part. In many ways similar to tourists in foreign
land. Behaving as if in conquered land. (I must say, looking back in my
own early life, I was at some point probably equally guilty of the same
behavior.)

Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Xomicron

devil wrote in
news
On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:25:58 -0500, ANONYMOUSE wrote:

GWB Jr.

who's this "GWB Jr."?

some canadian?

It seems to me, the US is at War against Afghanistan

these united States have not been at war since 1945.

Nice exercise in semantics. The US did not lose a war in Vietnam
because they have decided that technically it was not a war, presumably?

The United States did not lose the Vietnam militarily. They lost it
politically.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Barney

"PTRAVEL" had
:

"Barney" wrote in message
"PTRAVEL" had
:

"Barney" wrote in message
B had
writtennews:ms5rb0hb1907n1jmbdq6bpl9bi3agu8vbn@4ax .com:

Again, how do you extrapolate from that to "most Americans"? I'm
an American, and I don't announce the fact (unless someone asks),
nor do I conduct myself rudely. And my extrapolation, based on
the Americans that I know (which number, I suspect, vastly exceeds
those that you know) is that most Americans are _not_ rude when
they travel.

I traveled extensivly and many times with Americans. Most time I
tried to disassociate myself from them but alas! I worked with
them as well.

And I have traveled extensively, and many times with Americans. I
can count on half the fingers of one hand the number of times I've
seen identifiable American tourists acting badly.

Happily, my experience of Candians and Canada has been far more
welcoming and warm than your rather bigoted and xenophobic manner
would indicate As I said previously, your sig says it all.

Perhaps you may not know if your rude. But I do concede. It has been
years I have been in a trade that required world travel. My travels
in the States were very enjoyable and it was as if the same people
were not those I witnessed acting so rudely. Your country may not
refer to waiters as "Hey Boy" anymore.

"I'm not into name calling. That's best left to the Morons and
Idiots"
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Xomicron wrote:

(sneakysneak) wrote in
om:

Until then, no. Remember what
happened in California and their power problems?

That onlt happened because the kook environmentalists opposed the building
of new power plants.

That's right: revise the facts to fit your theory.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED