Umbria/Tuscany suitable for Vegetarians

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Rash

Default Umbria/Tuscany suitable for Vegetarians

Hi all,

I'm planning a 5 day trip to Italy in late September and we are
looking to stay in villa in either Tuscany or Umbria.

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian cusine -
i.e no meat, fish or eggs. I know in the larger cities like Florence,
Perugia, etc we will be able to find something but I wanted to know
what it would be like in more rural areas and also whether one region
is better than the other for veggies.

Any advice appreciated.

Ras
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM
R@L

"Rash" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I'm planning a 5 day trip to Italy in late September and we are
looking to stay in villa in either Tuscany or Umbria.

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian cusine -
i.e no meat, fish or eggs. I know in the larger cities like Florence,
Perugia, etc we will be able to find something but I wanted to know
what it would be like in more rural areas and also whether one region
is better than the other for veggies.

Any advice appreciated.

Ras

It is indeed difficult but there are some local dishes without meat since
the region has known some poor periods and meat was to expensive. Local
dishes are served in most countryside restaurants. Appetizers based on wheat
and chestnut, baked in oil or water. First dishes like spaghetti in oil and
garlic. And main dishes may be larger first ones like testaroli -in the
region I have a house- and of course the many vegetarian pizzas which are
not 'fast food' at all but very tasteful.

For not meat eaters -but not veggies either- it is good to know the Maremma
and Val di Chiana cows, life is pretty good which gives and excellent taste
as well.

Ronald
www.mulazzo.nl (our house in the Lunigiana)
www.netspresso.com (the espresso infosite)

Old June 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Ken Blake

In om,
Rash typed:
Hi all,

I'm planning a 5 day trip to Italy in late September and we are
looking to stay in villa in either Tuscany or Umbria.

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian

cusine -
i.e no meat, fish or eggs. I know in the larger cities like

Florence,
Perugia, etc we will be able to find something but I wanted to

know
what it would be like in more rural areas and also whether one

region
is better than the other for veggies.

I can't imagine a vegetarian having a problem finding things to
eat anywhere in Italy. There are always pasta dishes, soups,
risotti, pizze, and vegetable antipasti.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Luca Logi

Ken Blake wrote:

I can't imagine a vegetarian having a problem finding things to
eat anywhere in Italy. There are always pasta dishes, soups,
risotti, pizze, and vegetable antipasti.

True risotti should be boiled in beef broth (but sometimes alternative
recipes are used).

However, salads and fruits are available everywhere.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Luca Logi typed:

Ken Blake wrote:

I can't imagine a vegetarian having a problem finding things

eat anywhere in Italy. There are always pasta dishes, soups,
risotti, pizze, and vegetable antipasti.

True risotti should be boiled in beef broth (but sometimes

alternative
recipes are used).

Yes, I forgot that. Still, there are lots of choices for
vegetarians.

Old June 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Bob Fusillo

"
True risotti should be boiled in beef broth (but sometimes alternative
recipes are used).

"The broth (beef, chicken, veal, vegetable or fish), depending on the type
of risotto being made, should be delicate, as cooking tends to concentrate a
liquid's flavor."
Alessandro Stratta, award-winning chef

Risotto with Four Cheeses
1 medium onion
4 oz Fontina cheese
5 oz Gorgonzola cheese
6 cups vegetable bouillon broth

Floria Parmiani , noted Italian
food writer

The broth should be homemade; to ensure the most flavor, but if time or
circumstances make having homemade broth impossible, use the best canned
broth you can find. Chicken, vegetable, fish and meat broths are all used
depending on the other ingredients used in the dish.

Deborah Mele, Italian
Food Forever

Approximately 5 cups vegetable broth, simmering

6 cups vegetable broth or light chicken broth

5 cups bean broth

from 3 recipes
www.Winecountry.it

Risotto alla Milanese

about 5 cups simmering beef or chicken broth

"In a Roman Kitchen" Jo
Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto

etcetera

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Rash" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I'm planning a 5 day trip to Italy in late September and we are
looking to stay in villa in either Tuscany or Umbria.

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian cusine -
i.e no meat,

Have you thought how many animals vegetarians have prevented from having a
life ?

The only reason most cows, sheep and pigs are given a life at all is for us
to eat them, by refusing to eat them you are denying them a life......

Just a thought :-)

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:36 AM
Trudy

"Rash" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian cusine -
i.e no meat, fish or eggs. I know in the larger cities like Florence,
Perugia, etc we will be able to find something but I wanted to know
what it would be like in more rural areas and also whether one region
is better than the other for veggies.

I'm vegetarian too (but I eat eggs). You can taste typical pici (a type of
pasta) but you can ask with "tomatosauce". So tasteful!! Yo can find also
great cheese!

Trudy

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Luca Logi

Trudy wrote:

I'm vegetarian too (but I eat eggs). You can taste typical pici (a type of
pasta) but you can ask with "tomatosauce". So tasteful!! Yo can find also
great cheese!

Some pasta sauces should be acceptable to vegetarians, such as:

- pomodoro e basilico (tomato and basil)
- arrabbiata (tomato and hot red pepper)
- aglio e olio (garlic and olive oil, with or without hot pepper)
- in bianco ("white", oil or butter and parmesan cheese)

Some pasta sauces have meat, such as:
- ragł or bolognese
- carbonara
- amatriciana

Old June 21st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Juliana L Holm

Rash wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning a 5 day trip to Italy in late September and we are
looking to stay in villa in either Tuscany or Umbria.

I'd like to know what the current situation is for vegetarian cusine -
i.e no meat, fish or eggs. I know in the larger cities like Florence,
Perugia, etc we will be able to find something but I wanted to know
what it would be like in more rural areas and also whether one region
is better than the other for veggies.

I am Vegetarian (no meat, poultry, fish, but I do eat eggs, although rarely)
I had no problem in the countryside. Some tips.

Occasional restaurants have a grilled vegetable platter, or a vegetable
antipasta. If you run into them, order them. They are generally very
good and the most reliably vegetarian.

Vegetarian polentas are usually reliable. Risotto is often made with broth,
so I had to check everywhere, but was able to get some that were not.

I don't know if Italian pasta is made with eggs or not, but if you can eat
pasta you are in luck, as there are many wonderful pasta options.

And of course pizza is often wonderful, and often there are a number of
vegetarian options there.

One note, though, gelato is made with eggs, so you might want to focus on
sorbetto for a treat.

I have more trouble eating at home, but again, I will eat eggs, especially
cooked in things, so that helps.

--
Julie