Distance around Cozumel?

Old November 6th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Bob

Default Distance around Cozumel?

My lady and I have been to Cozumel on at least six cruises, but
usually do downtown shopping or a eat and drink excursion. On our next
cruise we would like to rent a car or scooter and drive all the way
around the island. Nowhere on Google can I find out how far it is.We
have never been to the far side of the island. I am sure some of the
TAs that post to this group know. Thanks.
R.
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Little Black Sambo

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
My lady and I have been to Cozumel on at least six cruises, but
usually do downtown shopping or a eat and drink excursion. On our next
cruise we would like to rent a car or scooter and drive all the way
around the island. Nowhere on Google can I find out how far it is.We
have never been to the far side of the island. I am sure some of the
TAs that post to this group know. Thanks.
R.

You can not drive "around" the whole island. You can drive across the
island to the eastern side and then make a circle around the southern half
of the island. It should take you an hour and a half to two hours, maybe
longer if you make a lot of stops. You can't really get lost as there is
only one cross-island road, and it circles around and comes right back to
San Miguel.

Be careful if you rent a car or jeep. The vendor will take an impression of
your credit card, but when you return the vehicle he will claim that was
just for "security deposit", and he will want to be paid in cash. It's no
big deal, but you need to be aware of it in advance.

Old November 6th, 2004, 09:59 PM
HDawson228

I usually rent a jeep from Executive. I have never had any kind of credit card
problem in Mexico. Many trips. I'm sure dishonesty happens just like here on
the web. I really enjoy seeing the beautiful shoreline of Cozumel, stopping at
some beach clubs. Be very careful renting scooters. My experience is that the
craziest drivers are those getting off the cruise ships. If you insist, pls
purchase travel insurance. I especially enjoy stopping at Mr Sancho's.
www.mrsanchos.com
I would guess that the distance of the very good paved road is 45 to 60 miles
and is not crowded at all. This map may help.
http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm
Another fun spot is Coconuts
http://www.islacozumel.net/food/coconuts/
Food and drink is very good at these places.

Old November 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Bob

(HDawson228) wrote in message ...
I usually rent a jeep from Executive. I have never had any kind of credit card
problem in Mexico. Many trips. I'm sure dishonesty happens just like here on
the web. I really enjoy seeing the beautiful shoreline of Cozumel, stopping at
some beach clubs. Be very careful renting scooters. My experience is that the
craziest drivers are those getting off the cruise ships. If you insist, pls
purchase travel insurance. I especially enjoy stopping at Mr Sancho's.
www.mrsanchos.com
I would guess that the distance of the very good paved road is 45 to 60 miles
and is not crowded at all. This map may help.
http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm
Another fun spot is Coconuts
http://www.islacozumel.net/food/coconuts/
Food and drink is very good at these places.

Thanks for the info. BTW, a couple of weeks ago our TA set up a trip
directly off the ship to Mr. Sanchos. 33 of us went in Taxis and had
lots of food and drinks (beer and marguiritas) very good and
reasonable. Beach was great also. Thanks again for the answers.
R.