south-west: where can we go?

Old December 20th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Gianni Rondinini

Default south-west: where can we go?

hi.
last summer my wife and me have been to usa 17 days. it was a
wonderful holyday, as we expected it to be. we had already been there
once, for our honey moon, and had a great time: places were wonderful
and people was nice and kind with us --even if we're italian and the
average italian tourist is really awful --.

after landing in l.a., we've been to (random order) zion, bryce,
arches, the needles, island in the sky, red rock canyon, monument
valley, valley of gods, valley of fire, antelope canyon, lake powell
(water level so loooow), canyon de chelly and we spent 4 days in las
vegas before getting back home.
oh, i can't forget cottonwood road, from page to bryce canyon: that
was *great* and no need to say that the day spent in disneyland was
*wonderful*.

being sincere, the only place we were not very impressed by have been
canyon de chelly and the boat tour on lake powell. arches park is
probably the last on the list of parks we'd like to visit again: the
"big one" is something around 2.5 hours of hike to reach --a sign
says--, and i think that 2x2.5 --to go and get back-- hours is too
much for us to see "only" an arch. we're young and thin but i'm not
sure i can do it

due to a number of reasons, --mainly limited time and great wish to
see all of those parks-- this summer we've spent about half a day in a
park and the other half moving to the next town. the day after, again
the morning in a park and the afternoon to move away --or viceversa--.

we noticed --or, at least, we seemed to have noticed-- that 2 to 4
hours in some of those parks seemed to be enough; but, for some of
them, they probably aren't.

we're now planning to get back to usa this summer --during august--
and we'd like to visit again some of those parks, would like to add
someones and to avoid some others.

i'd like you to give us some suggestions about:
- which parks of the above list are worth a full day and/or even two
days?
- what parks can we visit in addiction to the ones on that list?
- do you think that death valley is nicer at sunrise or in late
afternoon?
- would some of you please help us to prepare the journey for the next
summer?
- do you know any big photo shops in las vegas? we're planning to land
in las vegas since we're not getting back to disneyworld this time.
- is there another area with so many national parks as this one? we'd
*really* love to get back to las vegas because it was so funny, but
may think about the possibility to move somewhere else. in particular,
"inner" states don't seem to be as full of parks as the coastal ones
are and the east coast is quite full of metropolis --and we don't want
to spend time in big cities, excluding vegas--.

please consider we both love to take pictures of the landscapes, rocks
and whatever else and will take our cameras with us this time, too.
one last thing is i wouldn't want to drive more than 300/350 miles a
day. what is more, we may need to rent a ford explorer this time --if
2 friends will join us a taurus won't be enough--.

thank you in advance for your time.
--
Gianni Rondinini
Icem s.r.l. - http://www.icem.it
Old December 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM
JamesStep

help us to prepare the journey for the next summer...
do you think that death valley is nicer at sunrise
or in late afternoon?

If you're going in the summer, the temperature will be a
major concern as it gets *extremely* hot in Death Valley.
Early morning will be the coolest time of the day, so that
would be a good time for any hiking.

In terms of photography and sightseeing, either early
morning or late afternoon will give you dramatic lighting
since the sun will be low in the sky. However, locations on
the east side of the valley will be shaded in the morning
by the mountains, which would make the lighting much
less dramatic.

If you go in the summer, carry plenty of water and
be sure to read the safety precautions at the official
Death Valley web site.

Jim

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old December 20th, 2004, 06:50 PM
PeterL

Gianni: There are 6 national parks in California, including Death Valley
and Yosemite, plus many many other great state parks and national recreation
area. You can take a drive from Yosemite to Death Valley, covering 4
national parks, and end up in Las Vegas. You can spend many days in
Yosemite.

Old December 20th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Patty Winter

Someone has already suggested that you explore some of the
other national parks in California. Another alternative
(although farther if you have to go in and out of Las Vegas)
would be New Mexico, which has many beautiful places to visit.

Patty

Old December 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Caveat

Gianni Rondinini wrote:

last summer my wife and me have been to usa 17 days. it was a
wonderful holyday, as we expected it to be. we had already been there
once, for our honey moon, and had a great time: places were wonderful
and people was nice and kind with us --even if we're italian and the
average italian tourist is really awful --.

That has not been our experience with Italian tourists, Gianni. After
having spent much time in Italy being treated graciously by the
Italian people that we met, we try extra hard to help out Italian
travelers here in the US. It's our pleasure to help now if we can.

snip

we're now planning to get back to usa this summer --during august--
and we'd like to visit again some of those parks, would like to add
someones and to avoid some others.

Most of the Southwest parks are very hot in the summer, but if you are
acclimatized to the heat, it's tolerable. We live near Phoenix, but
often make a point of going elsewhere during the worst part of summer.

i'd like you to give us some suggestions about:
- which parks of the above list are worth a full day and/or even two
days?

Bryce is fine in summer, but you've been there. The North Rim of the
Grand Canyon is also pleasant (but avoid the hikes into the canyon
itself). Some other parts of Utah are also quite nice in the
summertime. Not all the most pretty and interesting places are in
Parks, by the way. Much depends upon what activities you want to do.

- what parks can we visit in addiction to the ones on that list?
- do you think that death valley is nicer at sunrise or in late
afternoon?

Death Valley in the summer is pretty brutal, unless you are just
driving through in an air conditioned car.

- would some of you please help us to prepare the journey for the next
summer?.. we'd *really* love to get back to las vegas because it was so funny,

Yep, very *funny*.

please consider we both love to take pictures of the landscapes, rocks
and whatever else and will take our cameras with us this time, too.
one last thing is i wouldn't want to drive more than 300/350 miles a
day. what is more, we may need to rent a ford explorer this time --if
2 friends will join us a taurus won't be enough--.

I'd suggest heading for the Sierra Nevada. You could take Highway 95
from Las Vegas to Beatty, then go west through Death Valley to Lone
Pine, California. The scenery is uniquely outstanding west of Lone
Pine, and north on Highway 395. You could cross into Yosemite National
Park, and if you wanted to extend the trip, make a loop back through
Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks.

We'll be happy to provide any additional details that you need.

Cheers,

Caveat

Old December 20th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Juliana L Holm

Caveat wrote:

Bryce is fine in summer, but you've been there. The North Rim of the
Grand Canyon is also pleasant (but avoid the hikes into the canyon
itself).

As a person who has hiked to the river in August I'd add a caveat here.
The inner canyon can be brutally hot during the Summer. If you choose to
hike there take a lot of water. And the trip to Phantom Ranch may not be
best done at that time of year. That said, I'm hard pressed to not recommend
some hiking into the canyon. The inner canyon is beautiful and very different
as you hike in, especially from the south rim (I understand the North Kaibab
trail is not as neat as the south Rim main trails, South Kaibab and Bright
Angel Trail. But only hik in a mile or so.

Zion is very nice.

please consider we both love to take pictures of the landscapes, rocks
and whatever else and will take our cameras with us this time, too.
one last thing is i wouldn't want to drive more than 300/350 miles a
day. what is more, we may need to rent a ford explorer this time --if
2 friends will join us a taurus won't be enough--.

I'd suggest heading for the Sierra Nevada. You could take Highway 95
from Las Vegas to Beatty, then go west through Death Valley to Lone
Pine, California. The scenery is uniquely outstanding west of Lone
Pine, and north on Highway 395. You could cross into Yosemite National
Park, and if you wanted to extend the trip, make a loop back through
Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks.

This person knows a lot more about this than I do.

Juliey

**********
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:34 AM
KGB

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:51:59 -0700, Caveat
wrote:

Gianni Rondinini wrote:

last summer my wife and me have been to usa 17 days. it was a
wonderful holyday, as we expected it to be. we had already been there
once, for our honey moon, and had a great time: places were wonderful
and people was nice and kind with us --even if we're italian and the
average italian tourist is really awful --.

That has not been our experience with Italian tourists, Gianni. After
having spent much time in Italy being treated graciously by the
Italian people that we met, we try extra hard to help out Italian
travelers here in the US. It's our pleasure to help now if we can.

Hi

I was in Guatemala a year or two ago and was discussing different
Nationalities with our Guatemalan guide at Tikal.

He claimed that you can tell Italians by the fact that they only ever
ask 3 questions - "What time is lunch?", "What are we eating for
lunch?" and "Is there a swimming pool?"

The French on the other hand apparently never stop talking.

He tactfully declined to comment on Brits!!!! 8^)

Regards
KGB

Old December 21st, 2004, 10:01 AM
Peter Ibrahim

Very helpful info - but as the original poster was wary about a 2.5mile hike
within Arches National Park, I guess they'll be somewhat reluctant to hike a
28-mile round trip into the Grand Canyon

That said, I'd concur with Julie; I hiked from the North Rim down to the
River this Summer (July) and it's absolutely breathtaking. For the most
part, the hiking isn't too bad - it's only the final stretch back up the
switchbacks that's an absolute beast; the steep incline, intolerable heat
and loose sandy paths combine to make it really arduous.

If you want to check it all out but don't feel up to the hike, perhaps go
down on a mule? No idea what the prices are like though...

Pete