America travel pointers

Old August 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Default America travel pointers

Maxwell Edison wrote:

It is not "extremely dangerous" and is perfectly legal

Hitchhiking is also illegal in many places as "soliciting rides," i.e.,
prostitution.

Old August 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lynne Jeffers

In article , Nile
wrote:

Maxwell Edison wrote:

It is not "extremely dangerous" and is perfectly legal

Hitchhiking is also illegal in many places as "soliciting rides," i.e.,
prostitution.

According to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21957.htm,
California Vehicle Code 21957: "No person shall stand in a roadway for
the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of any vehicle."

Sure sounds to me like hitchhiking is illegal in California.

-Lynne
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:20 AM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Outlawpoet wrote:
Writing from Southern California here - do not hitchhike. It's
seriously dangerous here - especially in certain areas. I don't mean
to scare her - and this is from someone who loves to live here - but it
seems like every week or so another woman is killed or missing. There
probably aren't as many as it seems, but as a native Los Angelena, I'm
careful who I speak to when I'm out and about.

It's not safe in Canada either.

I'm speaking as someone who was almost not found again alive because I
decided to hitchhike. The guy who picked me up preyed on hitchhikers,
and I was lucky enough to live to tell the tale. He also didn't care if
there was more than one woman in the group. Two girls broke bones
jumping from his car on the freeway when they realized they were not
going to where they thought he was taking them.

Women can be dangerous too. Some might to pick up a group because they
are afraid they are outnumbered. Even travelling with others, we
wouldn't pick up hitchhikers, men or women. Women carry weapons and
commit robbery too.

S.

Old August 16th, 2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:12:04 -0500, Lynne Jeffers
wrote:

In article , Nile
wrote:

Maxwell Edison wrote:

It is not "extremely dangerous" and is perfectly legal

Hitchhiking is also illegal in many places as "soliciting rides," i.e.,
prostitution.

According to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21957.htm,
California Vehicle Code 21957: "No person shall stand in a roadway for
the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of any vehicle."

Sure sounds to me like hitchhiking is illegal in California.

When I was young I hitchhiked a lot but I never stood in the
roadway; that's a good way to get run down.

Old August 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Maxwell Edison wrote:
In article .com,
Iceman at says...
ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some sort.

All of that is perfectly fine except for the hitchhiking, which she
should not even consider, period. It just isn't done in the US, so 99%
of normal people would be afraid to pick up a hitchhiker, and you take
your chances with the people who would.

People hitchhike all the time in northern California. If you are in a
group of three or four it is relatively safe. Two young women is less
safe and more than four will not get rides due to lack of room. Advise
your sister to check the condition of the driver. If you smell alcohol,
say "no thanks."

Sorry, 1 or 2 girls hitchhiking is a BAD idea, ESPECIALLY if they are
visitors who don't understand all the quirks of the culture. Girls
hitchhiking is a no-go as far as I'm concerned...

When I was younger I hitchhiked all over California. It is a great way
to meet people.

And your chance of meeting druggies, rapists, and serial murderers goes
up exponentially - the type of people you least want to meet are the
most attracted by the most vunerable of hitchhikers, which are young,
foreign, female tourists.

I rarely pick up hitchhikers any more, but driving from Crescent City
to Eureka a few years pack, two guys hitchhiking were holding a sign
that simply said "Aussies". I picked them up and they spent the night
at my house. We had a great time. The "Aussies" sign was just the
ticket to let me know they were international travelers.

Making a decision as a grown male to pick up hitchhikers yourself is
one thing - encouraging young females to hitchhike is another one.

The trouble with hitchhiking is the interminable waits sometimes as
Americans are afraid of strangers.

And with good reason. Most sensible adult males do NOT want to pick up
young females, especially if they are older and/or married. In this
PC-crazed society where "he-said, she-said" disputes are typically
resolved by giving the female the benefit of the doubt, you subject
yourself to accusations of sexual assault, solicitation for
prostitution, and set yourself up for blackmail/theft. I don't pick up
women traveling alone in my car, and I don't even like women riding
with me unless I know them well enough to know they aren't kooks or
wackjobs.

Best for young women to use public transportion, or rent their own
vehicles.

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_1_]

On 8/15/2006 1:05 PM ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels. Maybe
hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.
Cheers, ROD

I agree with everyone. No Hitchhiking. There is a television program
on many of our PBS (Public Broadcasting System). It's mainly geared for
the backpacker and outdoor adventure traveler. It's called "Globe
Trekker". They have a web site which features information about the
shows. It also features a destination guide...tips on hostels and
inexpensive places to stay, eat and get around. I am including the link
of the destination guide for North America. While it isn't exhaustive,
your sister may find the info useful.
http://www.pilotguides.com/destinati...north_america/

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
ant[_4_]

Iceman wrote:
ROD wrote:
My little sis is travelling to American in a few weeks with her
mates and
they are doing it on the cheap. Mostly California. Mostly hostels.
Maybe hitchhiking (sounds a bit dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating
cheaply. I want
to ensure she is safe and is careful. Apart from going with her,
anyone
have tips for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed
of some sort.

All of that is perfectly fine except for the hitchhiking, which she
should not even consider, period. It just isn't done in the US, so
99% of normal people would be afraid to pick up a hitchhiker, and you
take your chances with the people who would.

Many hostels are part of a bus route... I remember HI hostels were, and
imagine others are too. They are aimed squarely at back-packer-type
travellers, are not like greyhound, and tend to hop from hostel to hostel.
Maybe if you get onto a few of the hostels she is planning to stay at, they
can give details.

--
ant

Old August 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM posted to alt.california,rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

ROD wrote:
California. Mostly hostels. Maybe hitchhiking (sounds a bit
dodgy). Maybe backpacking. Eating cheaply. I want to ensure she is
safe and is careful. Apart from going with her, anyone have tips
for me to share. She won't listen but I can plant a seed of some
sort.

Eating inexpensively and well is easy if one doesn't patronize chains
and/or franchises and is careful to maintain a healthful and
nutritious diet.

A money saver, for example, is buying the morning juice at a grocery
store for $1.50 a pint rather than pay $2 for four ounces at a
restaurant. The bonus is being able reĆ¼se the bottle if she is one of
those water-carrying types.

Hitch-hiking is the best of all ways to travel; I cannot recommend it
highly enough. I always pick up hitch-hikers as I have a cosmic debt
to pay.

Iceman wrote:
All of [the original post] is perfectly fine except for the
hitchhiking, which she should not even consider, period. It just
isn't done in the US,

Bull****!

so 99% of normal people would be afraid to pick up a hitchhiker,

Perhaps. So, what? The rest of us are enough to have a nice trip.

and you take your chances with the people who would.

Just as you do everywhere else in every aspect of life.

PTravel wrote:
This is not the U.S. of the 60s and 70s .

True. Reportage, so-called "journalism", is more inflammatory and
less accurate.

PeterL wrote:
Don't hitchhike. It's very dodgy, esp. in California.

Keith Willshaw wrote:
NO HITCHIKING

Gregory Morrow wrote:
DO NOT HITCHIKE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. This is a sure way to
place oneself in danger,

So is crossing a street, going into a bar, etc., not necessarily

ESPECIALLY FOR FEMALES.

Additionally, most all municipalities ban hitchhiking, she'll get
in trouble with the law if she attempts this.

In spite of being illegal in most places in the USA, one does not get
into trouble. I've always welcomed police checking on me while aside
the road. The most serious threat I've ever gotten from police was
"We'll bust you if you're here in the morning". I wasn't.

If she wants to ensure that she returns to Oz in a coffin (or even
ensure that she permanently disappears) then hitchhiking is the
SURE way to go...

Utter nonsense! The probability is that she'll meet nice people
who'll treat her respectfully and well. Yes, the negative
possibilities are numerable but extremely unlikely.

Here's the real "safety" answer:
lilirishstar said: "As one man told me as I instinctively pulled my
son close to me as we walked by 'Hey man, we aren't going hurt you,
we are just homeless'"

Otherwise your question is unanswerable because an Earthquake could
happen at any instant. Fires happen. Cyclones, floods, tornadoes,
tsunami, hurricanes. Bad guys might be at the corner. If they're not
involved with someone else, they might want to get involved with you.
You could be mistakenly arrested and charged with a serious crime.
Traffic lights get out of order. People ignore STOP signs and lights.
Safety isn't anywhere. Danger is everywhere. What scares you might
differ from what scares me. Statistics indicate that your bathroom is
the most dangerous place you can be. Better watch out!
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com