Banff and Jasper National Parks in September

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Stefan Raabe

Default Banff and Jasper National Parks in September

Hello Travellers and Canadians,

my wife and i will spend our holiday from 13th of September to 5th of
October in Canada. We will start in Calgary, visit Banff, Yoho, Glacier
and Jasper national parks and we will depart from Edmonton in the
beginning of October. We travel by car and by tent.

I am looking for recommendations for
- a non-crowded canoe trip with spending 2 or 3 nights "outdoor"
- a nice horseback trailride (one day)
- air tour

I am also looking for recommendations what attractions i should not
miss, especially what is not mentioned in the travel guide and park
brochures or what can be found close outside the parks.

We will do a lot of hiking too, is it recommended to have a pepper spray
at hand? What are the best trails (scenic, wildlife, less crowded)?

Thanks... Stefan
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
chris2x

If I take just one, I do Johnston Canyon. About 4 hours treking. There
are campgrounds but seems to be closed in October.The canyon is not far
from Banff but IIRC is located in old route. Last October the canyon
was quite lonely.

I have only been there in Summer and it was beautiful but quite
crowded. If I went back I would go earlier in the day

Chris
Amateur Traveler podcast
http://AmateurTraveler.com

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Andy Jones

It will be quite chilly in the mountains at that time of year. It will
likely be below 0 (celsius) at night and possibly during the day. Snow is a
definite possibility but a blizzard is very unlikely. Many tourist
facilities are closed at that time of year. There are trail rides
available - they will be booked in one of the townsites: Banff or Jasper.
I'm sure that any canoe trip will be uncrowded on September. To secure an
air tour you will have to go outside the park to Canmore or Golden BC.

Most of the good hikes and attractions are in the park brochures but it may
be worthwhile going to a book store when you arrive in Calgary for some
guide books. They will be in the section marked "Local Interest". Johnston
Canyon is a great hike as someone else mentioned. Lake Louise has some
great hiking trails. In Yoho, my favourite hike is Paget Lookout but it may
be somewhat wet at that time of year but it's worth a look.

The bears will likely be getting ready for hibernation so shouldn't be a
problem. I have spent a fair amount of time in the back-country and rarely
encountered a bear. If you make enough noise, they will avoid you.

September can be a great time to be in the mountains because the masses are
gone and you can take your time seeing things. The weekends will be busy in
the towns though. Have fun!

Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
David Gee

"Han" wrote in message
ups.com...

Stefan Raabe wrote:
Hello Travellers and Canadians,

my wife and i will spend our holiday from 13th of September to 5th of
October in Canada. We will start in Calgary, visit Banff, Yoho,
Glacier
and Jasper national parks and we will depart from Edmonton in the
beginning of October. We travel by car and by tent.

I am looking for recommendations

Yoho is the site of the world-famous Burgess Shale Deposits, with more
fossils per metre than anywhere else. Write ahead to the Yoho office
for info.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Suzanne

Hello Stephen,

When in Jasper, you should see Athabasca Falls and Maligne Canyon.
There is a campsite at Jasper, but in September it might be closed due
to winter weather.

Old August 26th, 2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Robert[_1_]

[...]

Bring winter gear, warm clothes, tire chains, anti-freeze, etc. I grew up in
Montana and have seen snow in August.

Robert

Old August 26th, 2006, 03:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

Stefan Raabe wrote:

Hello Travellers and Canadians,

my wife and i will spend our holiday from 13th of September to 5th of
October in Canada. We will start in Calgary, visit Banff, Yoho, Glacier
and Jasper national parks and we will depart from Edmonton in the
beginning of October. We travel by car and by tent.

I am looking for recommendations for
- a non-crowded canoe trip with spending 2 or 3 nights "outdoor"
- a nice horseback trailride (one day)
- air tour

I am also looking for recommendations what attractions i should not
miss, especially what is not mentioned in the travel guide and park
brochures or what can be found close outside the parks.

We will do a lot of hiking too, is it recommended to have a pepper spray
at hand? What are the best trails (scenic, wildlife, less crowded)?

Thanks... Stefan

If you are coming from outside Canada and they catch you with pepper
spray you will be in serious trouble. As far as I can tell it is
equivalent to a gun. They spend as much time asking about it.

If you are worried about wildlife just buy a box of black pepper at the
market.

Old August 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.travel.canada,alt.travel.usa-canada
Trish

Hi.

Everyone is correct with warm clothing. I lived in the Rockies and it
snowed every month. Layers is the trick and a good fleece,

Here is a link to a ranch around Banff. http://www.boundaryranch.com/ There
is a couple but I can't remember the names.
http://albertacountryvacation.com/map.htm They all will be pretty good for
trail rides. You can take an air tour from canmore, which is by banff too.

My favorite attraction as you say is a hike called Grassi Lakes. It's up
past the Nordic Centre in Canmore. It's a small hike to two small turquoise
lakes. A great place for a picnic and watch rock climbers. I like canmore
better than banff because it is less busy, less touristy. Banff is great if
you want to buy maple syrup or a cowboy hat. No offense to anyone. Plus
the night life is great there too. Post here if you want some details.

What is highly recommended for the bears is noise. Always sing, whistle,
talk load. Make sure someone knows what hike your planning on taking and
stay on the trails. You can hike up a Lady McDonald mountain and still pass
people.

Have fun! Its fantastic country!

Trish

You guys are going to have a great time!