Chobe

Old October 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
GeirSan

Default Chobe

Is Chobe anythıng compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the
border in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Geir

Old October 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Clive Reid

Chobe "Riverfront" is wonderful when the elephants are massing. This peaks
at the end of the dry season. mid September was particularly good in 2005.
The bird life is prolific also. Certainly worth 2-3 nights. Botswana's
reserves are world-class in general but, of course, the migration of animals
is seasonal.

Regards,
Clive

Is Chobe anything compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the border

Old October 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Come-Along.nl

"GeirSan" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
Is Chobe anything compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the border
in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Geir

Chobe Riverfront is a small part of Chobe NP which will be packed with
wildlife as it is the end of the dry months. Lot's of elephants!!
With Serengeti, Chobe is the last wild places in Africa where you see the
Big Five...

Old October 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

"GeirSan" geirertz-nospam t mac.com schreef in bericht
Is Chobe anything compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the
border in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Chobe is nice because of the riverfrontage, and mammal behaviour there. From
a lusty area in the 70-s it has become a semi-desert now. But I would
recommend it anyway.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old October 13th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
John Macdonald

In message , GeirSan
writes
Is Chobe anyth0 border in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Geir

We returned from a trip 6 weeks ago.

Every reserve has its special characteristics but Chobe river front in
the dry season is very special.

We saw lion and leopard in our three night stay but the main spectacle
is the elephant and the water birds.

I would recommend getting out on the river at least twice - once in the
morning when most people are taking game drives, and then the more
traditional sunset cruise. However, the river does get a bit busy in
the evening (almost like being in Kenya!)

The lodges in Kasane are good for the boat trips but try to camp a
couple of nights in the park. You get more time for viewing and Ihaha
is a magnificent spot in the early morning as huge flocks of pelicans,
storks and ducks fly in from their roosts.

We went to Tanzania last year (I would guess similar to Kenya) and I
would concede it was better for big cats, but for sheer spectacle and
the option of self drive I do not think Chobe can be beaten.

We have photos and a trip report at:

http://www.wildworldweb.co.uk/holidays/namibia2.htm
http://www.wildworldweb.co.uk/holida...ia2/report.htm

but please feel free to contact me for more detailed info.
--
John Macdonald
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
grant kinsley

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:41:35 +0200, "Come-Along.nl"
wrote:

"GeirSan" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
Is Chobe anything compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the border
in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Geir

Chobe Riverfront is a small part of Chobe NP which will be packed with
wildlife as it is the end of the dry months. Lot's of elephants!!
With Serengeti, Chobe is the last wild places in Africa where you see the
Big Five...

except for rhinos of course.

Old October 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

With Serengeti, Chobe is the last wild places in Africa where you see the
Big Five...

except for rhinos of course.

Of course

Corné

Old October 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Come-Along.nl

"grant kinsley" schreef in bericht
wrote:

"GeirSan" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
Is Chobe anything compared to the Kenyan reserves (Chobe across the
border
in Botswana from Livingstone in Zambia).
Planning a short trip now.

Geir

Chobe Riverfront is a small part of Chobe NP which will be packed with
wildlife as it is the end of the dry months. Lot's of elephants!!
With Serengeti, Chobe is the last wild places in Africa where you see the
Big Five...

except for rhinos of course.

Maybe you are wright. I've been told that there was a sighting 2 years ago
of a black rhino in Chobe... ;-)

Old October 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
AllanE

I would not call the Chobe river front a 'wilderness area'. It has a
high volume of tourism driving 'mostly' on a small section of roads.
The river is also congested. But it is worth seeing for the elephant
and buffalo concentrations.

Allan

Old October 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

Chobe is the last wild places in Africa where you see the
Big Five...

except for rhinos of course.

Maybe you are wright. I've been told that there was a sighting 2 years ago
of a black rhino in Chobe... ;-)

That sounds strange, as the vegetation in Chobe is not suitable for black
rhinos. But maybe... a lost one from Hwange who migrated?

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com