Cairns

Old September 11th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Joe Dirt

Default Cairns

Greetings,

My name is Corey and I am going to be attending James Cook University at
the Cairns campus starting in Feb. Can anyone tell me about their
experiences in Cairns? What type of city is Cairns? Resort? Rural? I read
that the population is ~122k...

Also, I am going to have my dog quarantined in Sydney form 60 days. What
are my transportation options from Cairns to Sydney? Air? Train? How long
does it take to travel from Cairns to Sydney?

Thanks in advance...

Corey
Old September 11th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Freda

Cairns to Brisbane by air 2 hours approx
Brisbane to Sydney by air approx 1 Hr
at a guess by road about 3000 kms
Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake
news

Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:28 AM
Susanne Junkel

Hi Joe,

Joe Dirt postete:
My name is Corey and I am going to be attending James Cook University
at the Cairns campus starting in Feb. Can anyone tell me about their
experiences in Cairns? What type of city is Cairns? Resort? Rural? I
read that the population is ~122k...

I just returned from Cairns yesterday :-)
Cairns isn't rural at all, but no big city with high buildings. Three
or four big shopping malls (Stocklands at the south was really great).
Nice neighbourhood. I'd love being there...
The JCU is located north of Cairns, at the Captain Cook Highway. From
the city center it's about 15 minutes by car, depending on traffic.
Cairns ist visited by many tourists, it's the gate to Barrier Reef. The
main beaches are located north from Cairns, betweeen Cairns and Port
Douglas. It's a relaxing location :-)
If you like tropical sceneries, you'll like Cairns. But in Feb. it'll
be the rainy season, high humidity, high temperature. Maybe some
cyclons. Many streets are flooded then. Seen that myself in 1999.

Also, I am going to have my dog quarantined in Sydney form 60 days.
What are my transportation options from Cairns to Sydney? Air? Train?
How long does it take to travel from Cairns to Sydney?

Take the airplane. Domestic flights are not too expensive, even with
Quantas. By Car it will take about one week, depending on the streets
and the traffic. In the wet season, roads may be closed by flooding.
And there are long and boring parts on that way up north. Speed limit
is 100 km/h.

I envy you!
--
Susanne