Hotels or other accomodations near art museums in Los Angeles

Old October 5th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Karl Sussman

Default Hotels or other accomodations near art museums in Los Angeles

We plan to make a tour of several art museums in the Los Angeles area.
Our strategy is to find accomodations near the Getty and then to
relocate to another accomodation perhaps near the Norton Simon and
possibly the Los Angeles County Art Museum. We would appreciate any
suggestions as to accomodations near the Getty and also other
accomodations near the other museums mentioned. We would look forward
to any suggestions.

Karl
Old October 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM
JMSinLA

There are a couple of places near the Getty (not walking distance, but they
probably have a shuttle.) One is a Holiday Inn (it's a circular building
just off the 405 freeway, Sunset Blvd. exit-west.) I know it comes up
through Priceline, if you're interested in that service. (Check
www.biddingfortravel.com for more information; I think there's a review
there also.) The other is called the Luxe Summit Hotel. It's also comes up
on Priceline, and there's a review on BFT also.

Beyond those, you'd probably have to go to Century City (several nice hotels
there),or maybe even to LAX, Santa Monica or the Valley (it's not that far
from the Getty to the intersection of the 405/101.) There's not much in
Westwood, Bel-Air or Brentwood, except for some VERY high end places-- way
out of MY price range, so I don't know much about them except for the Hotel
Bel-Air.

As for the other major museums-- well, except for a concentration of them
around the so-called "Museum Mile" on Wilshire, including LACMA, the
Peterson Automotive Museum, etc., they're kind of all over the place. There
are several hotels near the Museum Mile, but I can't think of any that are
right in the thick of things.

And there's also MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) which is downtown. Lots
of hotels there; the Omni (formerly the InterContinental) is right there.

The Norton Simon is in Pasadena (some hotels are fairly nearby) and the
Huntington Library is in nearby San Marino (no lodging at all there-- it's a
residential area, although the Ritz-Carlton Huntington isn't too far away.)

Unless you're planning to spend several days at each museum, I'd choose a
central location and just drive to each museum you want to visit. It's a
lot of hassle to keep checking in and out, in my opinion.

om...

Old October 6th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Peter L

"Karl Sussman" wrote in message
om...
We plan to make a tour of several art museums in the Los Angeles area.
Our strategy is to find accomodations near the Getty and then to
relocate to another accomodation perhaps near the Norton Simon and
possibly the Los Angeles County Art Museum. We would appreciate any
suggestions as to accomodations near the Getty and also other
accomodations near the other museums mentioned. We would look forward
to any suggestions.

Karl

For the Getty you may want to stay in Santa Monica, where you can take a
shuttle bus to the Getty, also a local bus to the LA County Museum. For the
Norton Simon (and the Huntington Library), there are plenty of motels on
Colorado Blvd in Pasadena. We have stayed at a couple of Best Westerns in
that area.