Don't set sail on a cruise without doing some research first

Old April 16th, 2006, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Don't set sail on a cruise without doing some research first

" Thus spake "John Sisker" :

snip

Leaving from Houston, our
ship was loaded with Texans. Right up front we should tell you we do not
automatically dislike Texans or anyone else from the South. One of us even
descends from Texan stock. However, given they were easily the largest
population on our ship, there were a lot of behaviors that began to repeat
themselves, most notably a propensity for loud, drunken behavior and a
whole
lot of smoking. Indeed, by the third day of the cruise, we were told by
more
experienced passengers that our sailing was known as the "Redneck Cruise"
because this kind of thing happened every time.

BALONEY! We have been on several cruises from Houston/Galveston and never
encountered such behavior. If anything, the Texans were a friendly and fun
bunch group to be around..That sort of thing does not happen EVERYTIME as
you quote.

Not a problem for a college
spring break excursion, perhaps, but not the best environment for a
honeymoon. Robertson cautions it's not always possible to predict a cruise
population's behavior based solely on its port of debarkation.

Perhaps they needed a better informed T/A who would have known better about
what to recommend for a honeymoon.
Shame on you for passing on biased information...you apparently have never
been out of Texas on a cruise either..or you wouldn't be painting with such
a wide brush.

"If you are looking for a cruise out of whatever destination, if
it's on spring break in Texas, you know it's loaded with Texans." '

snip

Wow! What an intelligent deduction! You can say that about any port in the
country where there's spring break.

Most ships have a non smoking side of the pool. A little checking and
a little assertivness would have helped that problem.

That is true of any ship that you might take. Some enforce rules on smoking,
non-smoking and chair saving; some do not...

It seems that you are competing with a several other T/As on rtc who are far
more informed and experienced than you are, but you continue to post
anything that you can get your hands on, a contest for trying to be first,
be it true or not. Much of your information is old, outdated or not
newsworthy..Your advice is far fetched and filled with untruths and
experienced cruisers can see right through it...If you had come here without
that attitude, you would have been received more graciously..
but like I said before, you are trying too hard and it is irritating.

--Jean---an adopted Texan formerly from PA and proud of it! ;-)

Old April 16th, 2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Some of you are still trying to kill the messenger simply because you don't
like the message. Turing you vengeance in the wrong direction is not
addressing the issue brought up by the original author. And indeed, it
probably is a good idea to get written permission, quote the original author
and include a copyright mark and disclaimer for these type articles. I'm
sure Goldenberg would love to do that. Likewise, isn't pointing out alleged
fallacies and bias without facts to back it up, just opinions?

As for being consistently wrong as some like to point out, again that is
entirely subjective and mostly differing opinions. However, the solution is
very simple. No one has to book through me. If some want to point out any
alleged errors in my so-called facts, so others will have the correct
information to act upon, that is just fine with me. I am always open to
learning more, provided we are indeed talking facts here and not just more
personal opinions. However, there is also a big difference between
suggestions and opinionated rebuttals. Yet, like you, I do have a right to
post here, for as already pointed out, this is an open, unmonitored
newsgroup. Let's let the original posters decide for themselves.

Old April 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

John Sisker wrote:
I am always open to
learning more, provided we are indeed talking facts here and not just more
personal opinions. However, there is also a big difference between
suggestions and opinionated rebuttals.

Unfortunately John, you dismiss as "opinion" the real experience that
many of us have gained from **decades** of sailing **dozens** of
cruises on practically every ocean and itinerary. When I and others
post our "rebuttals" it's not merely conjecture - we've been there,
done that. Looking at the names who have been "talking facts" in
response to your many uniformed posts, it is safe to say that
collectively (and in some cases individually), we provide far more
accurate facts and information whether you provide it directly or by
posting what other unknown entities have written.

Warren

Old April 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

As for personal opinions vs. actual experience, some seem to indicate that
with only 12 cruises under my belt, vs. others with 20 to 30, they obviously
know a lot more of what they're talking about. Yet, even though currently
working on our 13th cruise, there will always be someone who has been on
more cruise than someone else. Doe that mean the person who has the most
numbers wins? However, our numbers also include booking far more clients on
cruises than anyone could have possibly been on personally. So we're not
simply on the outside looking in. And besides, what do numbers have to do
with it? I've owned many cars in my time, driven even more. Yet, that
certainly does not make me an expert mechanic.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do welcome and appreciate the real experience
others have gained from decades of sailing. The only problem that I can see
now and then, is how they choose to present it. Does it indeed comes from
the heart as helpful recommendations, or a form of ignorance and a
know-it-all attitude? That comes through loud and clear as the latter on
this newsgroup.

John

"Warren" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old April 17th, 2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"John Sisker" wrote in message
ink.net...
As for being consistently wrong as some like to point out, again that is
entirely subjective and mostly differing opinions. However, the solution
is
very simple. No one has to book through me. If some want to point out any
alleged errors in my so-called facts, so others will have the correct
information to act upon, that is just fine with me. I am always open to
learning more, provided we are indeed talking facts here and not just more
personal opinions. However, there is also a big difference between
suggestions and opinionated rebuttals. Yet, like you, I do have a right to
post here, for as already pointed out, this is an open, unmonitored
newsgroup. Let's let the original posters decide for themselves.

John,
One of your biggest faults is that whenever you post something erroneous
here and it is pointed out to you by another T/A or experienced cruiser, you
NEVER admit you were wrong or mistaken...It just goes over your head like
water sliding off a duck's back! It's as if it is falling on deaf ears and
you believe that you are never wrong...Surely from the many posts that have
been directed to your attention, you must have gotten the message by
now...they can't ALL be wrong!

--Jean
..

Old April 17th, 2006, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
"John Sisker" wrote in message
link.net...
As for being consistently wrong as some like to point out, again that is
entirely subjective and mostly differing opinions. However, the solution is
very simple. No one has to book through me. If some want to point out any
alleged errors in my so-called facts, so others will have the correct
information to act upon, that is just fine with me. I am always open to

The people who are pointing out errors are not the ones who are
booking with you.

learning more, provided we are indeed talking facts here and not just more
personal opinions. However, there is also a big difference between
suggestions and opinionated rebuttals. Yet, like you, I do have a right to
post here, for as already pointed out, this is an open, unmonitored
newsgroup. Let's let the original posters decide for themselves.

John,
One of your biggest faults is that whenever you post something erroneous
here and it is pointed out to you by another T/A or experienced cruiser, you
NEVER admit you were wrong or mistaken...It just goes over your head like
water sliding off a duck's back! It's as if it is falling on deaf ears and
you believe that you are never wrong...Surely from the many posts that have
been directed to your attention, you must have gotten the message by
now...they can't ALL be wrong!

Don't confuse him with facts.

grandma Rosalie
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

It's been pointed out on a number of occasions by some that I am apparently
wrong more than I am right. However, while indeed I may be wrong on
occasion, I also found many others are as well. I certainly can't be wrong
all the time, as some imply. Yet, some differences are simply a matter of
differing opinions, and not much more. I will certainly acknowledge when I
do have incorrect information, but it does appear that may not actually be
the goal of some. And that may simply be to undermine my creditability, so
business will be directed elsewhere.

John

Old April 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

John Sisker wrote:
It's been pointed out on a number of occasions by some that I am apparently
wrong more than I am right.

John

John, I too am more often wrong than right. Look at it this
way, if we were right all the time, we'd get used to it and
it would bring us less happiness. By being wrong most of
the time, the occasional times we are right is a reason for
great happiness and gloating.

Nonnymus