Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Old August 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

people who speak one language are American.

.... or French. It's still very uncommon to learn foreign languages
there. Specially English.
They are still dreaming their french world language dream and it's
still a national frustration that it has been lost to English.
Every French can tell you the dozen countries in the world where French
still is the official language, including uninhabited polynesian atolls
:-)
Only close to Spain or Germany you'll find some bilingual people.

They even have a law that forbids to call a computer a computer. You
must say tracteur or so. And a mail is by law a curiel :-))

Walter

Old August 24th, 2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 24 Aug 2006 in rec.travel.usa-canada, wrote:

They even have a law that forbids to call a computer a computer. You
must say tracteur or so.

Ordinateur, n'est-ce pas? At least that's what I see them advertised as
in Canada.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tanner

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Tom Peel wrote:
Tanner schrieb:
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.travel.usa-canada.]
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Hatunen wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:24:53 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

spamfree wrote:

In Canada, if a job posting calls for applicants to be bilingual, it means
French and English.
You mean Quebecoise and English.

Likely meant French and English. We don't generally distinguish
among English dialects in Canada, we call them English.
Same with French.

Ask a Frenchman what he thinks of Quebecois French.

Ask me what I think of English spoken in parts of the UK.
Unintelligible. But I don't correct someone from the UK
if they refer to their language as English.
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Cesar Neri[_1_]

Sorry, but not one of your best I'm afraid. I think you need erase this one
from your memory banks.

Dave Smith wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

In Canada, if a job posting calls for applicants to be bilingual, it
means
French and English.

You mean Quebecoise and English.

True., but the Quebecois think it is French.
It's funny, but I took French in high school, had s few immersion
experiences,
have spent time in Quebec and France, and had work dealt with some
Quebecois and
some real French people. I can understand French in France. I can
actually
communicate with people there and understand what they are telling me.
When
French Canadians speak their French to me it sounds like a different
language.

This thread reminds me of the joke about the businessman who put a placard
in his window advertising for a bilingual secretary. A cat walked in and
pointed to the sign, meowing to indicate she wanted to apply for the job.
The employer figured he'd play along, so gave her a letter to type, which
to his surprise she did, flawlessly. When he pointed out that the job
also required she be bilingual, the cat looked at him and replied "Woof".
;-)

Old August 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

Many Americans don't realize that there are other non-English
languages besides Spanish.

Wow, what terrible school system did you go through? My public high school
offered Spanish, French, German, and Latin.

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:51:36 -0600, "spamfree"
wrote:

Google "bilingual". All except one of the first page entries I get
seem to be from the US, and none assumes that only English/
Spanish is meant.

Italy must have a different version of Google. The first page had
www.nabe.org/
www.latpro.com/
www.bilingualbooks.com/
www.csun.edu/~hcedu013/eslbil.html

all of which refer to Spanish/English.

I remember nabe.org, because I wasn't sure what it referred to, but I
went to the site and saw that they *didn't* include just Spanish and
English, but all "minority languages".

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:12:19 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:11:08 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

The procss is that someone making a claim should support it if
challenged, not that he should tell teh challenger to go and
"come across it eventually".

I'm not going to support it. If you're interested in knowing more,
you can look it all up. If you're not, don't.

You seem to enjoy writing things that you can't support. As you claim
you want to educate people on usenet, how does not supporting
something help?

My first wife once confessed to me that she made up facts and
statistics to win, um, differences of opinion from me. Mixi seems
very much like my first wife in that regard.

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tanner

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Hatunen wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:54:06 +0000 (UTC), Tanner
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Tom Peel wrote:

Ask a Frenchman what he thinks of Quebecois French.

Ask me what I think of English spoken in parts of the UK.
Unintelligible. But I don't correct someone from the UK
if they refer to their language as English.

That would be rude.

heh, yes.
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:06:16 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

People who speak 4 or more languages are multi-lingual; people who speak 3
languages are tri-lingual; people who speak two languages are bi-lingual;
people who speak one language are American. KM

Oh, ha, ha, ha. Very good. ]Ddid you just make that up?

Come around my neighborhood; at least 80% of my neighbors can
speak two languages. In fact, I suspect at least half the town
does.