Victoria Island Trip

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Bob Macdonald

Default Victoria Island Trip

"Jeepers" wrote in message
We are looking at visiting Victoria Island BC Canada in July. We'll have
five days. Flying in and out of Seattle.We'll be renting a Jeep Liberty.
Any suggestions for a Mom, Dad and 10 year old boy? Thanks!

Saw from your replies to other posts that you have family in Ucluelet so
accommodation is not a big issue. Just as well as you will be out in peak
tourist season. Although the parking lots may be full there will be lots of
room on either Long Beach itself or Wickaninnish Beach.

The latter has a nice interpretative centre run by Parks Canada. It also
has a restaurant run by [at least it used to be, we usually go out in the
fall and the restaurant and centre are closed by then] the same folks who
operate the Canadian Princess, the permanently moored ship in Ucluelet
Harbour. Great views of the ocean. One year we watched an eagle dive into
the ocean and then literally swimming using its broad wings to pull its
catch up onto some rocks to eat. I am surprised the restaurant did not tilt
there were so many people at the windows.

Just outside of Ucluelet there is Amphricite Point. The coast guard station
there affords great views especially on a stormy day.

In the past few years a trail has been created from outside the point. I
think it is called the Wild Coast Trail, not to be confused with the famous
and significantly more arduous West Coast Trail that runs between Bamfield
and Port Renfrew. The former is a nicely cut gravel and boardwalk with some
stairs trail. Lots of benches. Nice places to see the ocean crash into the
beaches.

If you are into nature watches your family should know the names of the
people who can take you onto the beaches and explain the flora and fauna or
into their zodiac to get you close to the bears feeding in the morning.

Lots of whale watching operators in both Ucluelet and Tofino. Although the
grey whales will have finished their migration there are usually some
residents who are around almost all year. You might get lucky and see a pod
of transient orcas. Sea lions and seals abound as do seabirds.

If you wander down to the beach at the Greenpoint Campground you can get a
closer view with binoculars of the sea lions on the rocks offshore. The
past couple of years we have been woken up to the "yips and barks" of
"rafts" of cavorting sea lions floating with the tides. As someone else has
already said, enjoy yourself but be careful as rogue waves have taken the
lives of some unfortunates who ventured too close to surge channels.

The Tea-Lauca resort [sp?] that you access via Seaplane Depot Road looks
interesting if you are looking for something good to eat in Ucluelet. Your
family of course will know the lay of the land better than I.

Tofino has more touristy things for you to do or enjoy. If you want fine
dining I can recommend Shelter, Cafe Pamplona and I think its name is the
Rainforest Cafe...I always get the latter's name mixed up...it is "rain
something". If you want a view while you dine, the aforementioned
restaurant at the Wickininnish Beach Interpretative Centre, the Long Beach
Lodge Resort on Cox Bay and the Wickanninish Inn on Chesterman Beach would
fit the bill. The latter is worth it just for the view. It is expensive.
I would not recommend dinner myself but lunch would be nice especially if
you get a rough day.

In Ucluelet you have Oyster Jim's store where he sells those "honking great
big" roasting oysters. An acquired taste I think.

There are a number of shops in both Ucluelet and Tofino. Roy Vickers is a
famous west coast artist and his studio is well worth a look even if you
cannot afford his prices. It is a nice cool sanctuary from the heat and
people who might be crowding the small Tofino townsite. We get a kick out
of the little store in Ucluelet which is right beside the Post Office. Has
all sorts of gift ideas and novelties.

Take your time driving out. Stop at Cathedral Grove en route to Port
Alberni and walk amongst the towering Douglas Firs. On Sproat Lake you can
see some of those monstrous water bombers that are usually kept there.
Hopefully the forest fires will not be as bad as they were last year.

Enjoy your visit. We have been going out to Pacific Rim National Park and
its surrounding area for almost twenty years now and really love it. It is
a special place.

Bob Macdonald
Edmonton, AB

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Jeepers

In article bG03c.746107$X%5.471058@pd7tw2no,
"Bob Macdonald" wrote:

Enjoy your visit. We have been going out to Pacific Rim National Park and
its surrounding area for almost twenty years now and really love it. It is
a special place.

Bob Macdonald
Edmonton, AB

Thanks Bob! I'm saving this! Thanks again!
You wouldn't happen to know anything about the Caving groups or
Spelunking on Vancouver Island? I have contacts for the group, there,
but haven't talked to them yet. I'm a Texas Caver.

Old March 9th, 2004, 12:58 AM
SB

Hey guys,

I work for environment canada and have just moved from BC to Ontario (I
realize some of you are scratching your heads wondering why!! )
Anyhow, we installed cameras in different locations there and we happen to
have to at Amphitrite Point (not amphricite).

I just looked at the images and you can see what a big storm looks like on
the west coast. hard to tell from the images and my timing might be off. I
think they were having a big coastal storm there (100+kmh winds or so).

http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.c...ml?section=wan
This is for Amphitrite

http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.c...default_e.html
This is the main page showing other cameras in the province.

sb

Old March 9th, 2004, 12:58 AM
SB

why would you want to be in closed quarters....in the dark too....

Pick up a Civic and close your eyes....close enough!! har har