BA sat corpse in first class

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Rubba Luva

Default BA sat corpse in first class

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

From The Sunday Times

March 18, 2007
BA sat corpse in first class
Steven Swinford

A BRITISH Airways passenger travelling first class has described how
he woke up on a long-haul flight to find that cabin crew had placed a
corpse in his row.

The body of a woman in her seventies, who died after the plane left
Delhi for Heathrow, was carried by cabin staff from economy to first
class, where there was more space. Her body was propped up in a seat,
using pillows.

The woman's daughter accompanied the corpse, and spent the rest of the
journey wailing in grief.

Paul Trinder, who awoke to see the body at the end of his row, last
week described the journey as "deeply disturbing", and complained that
the airline dismissed his concerns by telling him to "get over it".

"It was a complete mess - they seemed to have no proper plans in place
to deal with the situation," said Trinder, 54, a businessman from
Brackley, Northamptonshire.

The woman died during a nine-hour flight on a Boeing 747. Trinder was
catching up on sleep when he was woken by a commotion and opened his
eyes to see staff manoeuvring the body into a seat.

"I didn't have a clue what was going on. The stewards just plonked the
body down without saying a thing. I remember looking at this frail,
sparrow-like woman and thinking she was very ill," said Trinder.

"She kept slipping under the seatbelt and moving about with the motion
of the plane. When I asked what was going on I was shocked to hear she
was dead."

The woman's daughter and son-in-law arrived soon after and began
grieving. Trinder said: "It was terrifying. I put my earplugs in but
couldn't get away from the fact that there was a woman wailing at the
top of her voice just yards away. It was a really intense, primal
sound.

"I felt helpless. Grief is a very personal thing; it's not as if there
was anything I could do or say."

Trinder, chief executive of Capital Safety, which makes products for
the building industry, holds a BA gold card and travels more than
200,000 miles a year with the airline.

He became particularly concerned about the state of the body. "When
you have a decaying body on a plane at room temperature for more than
five hours there are significant health and safety risks," he said.

After the plane landed, those in first class remained on board for an
hour before police and a coroner gave the all-clear.

"The police even started interviewing me as a potential witness,
although I had no idea what had happened to the woman. I just kept
thinking to myself: 'I've paid more than £3,000 for this'," Trinder
said.

When contacted by BA about the complaint, Trinder says he was told he
would not be compensated and should "get over" the incident.

BA said the dead woman was taken into first class because the rest of
the plane was full.

A spokesman said: "When a customer passes away on board it is always
difficult and we apologise for any distress caused."

He said there were about 10 deaths each year out of 36m passengers.

Other carriers use different procedures. Singapore Airlines has
introduced "corpse cupboards" on its Airbus 340-500 aircraft. Cabin
crews use the locker if there is no empty row of seats to place a
corpse.

Old March 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Cochon Capitaliste

I was stuck on an American Airlines flight for 28 hours; the smell of
a decaying corpse would have been a welcome change.

Old March 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
JohnT

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on 18 Mar 2007 13:35:41 -0700, "Rubba
Luva" has scripted:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

"The police even started interviewing me as a potential witness,
although I had no idea what had happened to the woman. I just kept
thinking to myself: 'I've paid more than £3,000 for this'," Trinder
said.

He paid WHAT???

I didn't think it was possible to pay that much for a flight!
--

LHR to SYD, BA, First Class, out December, back January, cost more than
£7000.

JohnT

Old March 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on 18 Mar 2007 13:35:41 -0700, "Rubba
Luva" has scripted:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

"The police even started interviewing me as a potential witness,
although I had no idea what had happened to the woman. I just kept
thinking to myself: 'I've paid more than £3,000 for this'," Trinder
said.

He paid WHAT???

I didn't think it was possible to pay that much for a flight!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:00:01 -0000,
"JohnT" has scripted:

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on 18 Mar 2007 13:35:41 -0700, "Rubba
Luva" has scripted:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

"The police even started interviewing me as a potential witness,
although I had no idea what had happened to the woman. I just kept
thinking to myself: 'I've paid more than £3,000 for this'," Trinder
said.

He paid WHAT???

I didn't think it was possible to pay that much for a flight!
--

LHR to SYD, BA, First Class, out December, back January, cost more than
£7000.

I very much doubt that. Have you got a source?
--
---
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Alan S[_1_]

On 18 Mar 2007 15:44:28 -0700, "Cochon Capitaliste"
wrote:

I was stuck on an American Airlines flight for 28 hours; the smell of
a decaying corpse would have been a welcome change.

A fate worse than death.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
yaofeng

in messagenews:s3hrv25vh9u3v3g3i51p2ri726hudv3has@4ax .com...
Make credence recognised that on 18 Mar 2007 13:35:41 -0700, "Rubba
Luva" has scripted:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

"The police even started interviewing me as a potential witness,
although I had no idea what had happened to the woman. I just kept
thinking to myself: 'I've paid more than £3,000 for this'," Trinder
said.

He paid WHAT???

I didn't think it was possible to pay that much for a flight!
--

LHR to SYD, BA, First Class, out December, back January, cost more than
£7000.

I very much doubt that. Have you got a source?
--
---
DFM -http://www.deepfriedmars.com
---

I think that's about right. I flew in late January from EWR to Riga
(RIX) for $5,600 and change. My colleage did more than $6,500 Dulles
to Riga. Heathrow to Sydney would be much more.

Old March 18th, 2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
JohnT

[...]

Go to BA.com and price it yourself. I used out date 15 December, return date
15 January. Cost £7375.80. I await your apology.

JohnT

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Rubba Luva wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530572.ece

From The Sunday Times

March 18, 2007
BA sat corpse in first class
Steven Swinford

Paul Trinder, who awoke to see the body at the end of his row, last
week described the journey as "deeply disturbing", and complained that
the airline dismissed his concerns by telling him to "get over it".

"It was a complete mess - they seemed to have no proper plans in place
to deal with the situation," said Trinder, 54, a businessman from
Brackley, Northamptonshire.

No "proper plans in place"? How often does ANY airline have
a passenger die in transit? (It really doesn't seem the
sort of event for which advance planning would be given
priority!)