Advice on booking and pricing

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:14 PM
WGeddings

Default Advice on booking and pricing

My family and I want to go on a 7 day Carribean cruise next July out of
Florida or east coast. I have heard that is a great time (fewer people
cruising) and I have heard it is a horrid time (lots of people cruising). I
don't know who to believe. Advice appreciated..

Where can we find the best deal? I have been told to wait until the month
before and then try to make reservations when I can try to get last minute
cabins. That is okay but I have also been told that good deals are
available for booking early. If you know a great site to visit, please let
me know or if you have some booking advice, I would welcome it.

We don't care about the cabin but we want the price as low as possible.

Thanks for any advice you can give. If you respond directly, just remove
the nospam from my hotmail address.

Tommy

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:22 PM
Tom & Linda

There are about 10 weeks a year when families with kids can go on
cruises. July, August, Easter week and XMAS week. All the people
without kids have the other 42 weeks.

July and August are crowded and expensive. Easter and XMAS are even
more crowded and even more expensive.

All other weeks are low priced compared to those.

Don't expect good deals in July. If you've got kids like we do...
you're stuck with prime time just like us.

If you want a low price go in early December or late January or any week
in February. The same cruise that is $1400pp in the summer is $499
right now.

--Tom

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:34 PM
WGeddings

I understand your advice and appreciate it but because of other factors, we
will have to go in July so any advice on where to find the cheapest (as well
as whether to book in advance or take the risk of waiting till the last
minute, as I am willing to do) would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:42 PM
Tom & Linda

I don't think I've ever been on a ship in the summer that wasn't totally
full. I would suggest picking the ship that you want and book it, and
then watch the prices. Up until final payment, you can always re-book
at lower pricing if it becomes available. Some line are better at
letting you re-adjust your pricing if prices fall - even after full
payment, than others. My understanding is that Royal Caribbean and
Celebrity are good at allowing you to get the lower pricing, while
Carnival and the lines they own aren't.

For low pricing, check with a lot of different TA's and see what pricing
they'll give you. Some may have groups going, which might get you
better pricing.

What cruise line are you interested in? Have you done any research?

--Tom

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:07 PM
WGeddings

It looks like Norweigien and Carnival are the most likely out of FL. I
would love Disney but I am sure it is probably too pricey.

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:10 PM
Tom & Linda

More likely Royal Caribbean and Carnival would be your options with the
most ships. Celebrity and Princess may have one ship each. I don't
know if NCL bothers having a ship in Florida in the summer.

--Tom

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:18 PM
Bill C

What Tom said was right on! We also have to cruise in the summer and the
only way to cruise at half decent prices is to book an older ship that
doesn't have all the bells and whistles. You still go to all the same ports
as the newer ships but you sacrifice the rock climbing walls, etc.

Bill

. com...

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:22 PM
Cruzinsure

If you're cruising with family, when to book will depend on how you want your
cabins set up.

Cruising in July is popular with families so if you need either:

A) Triple/quad occupancy cabins or;
B) Cabins adjacent/close to each other, I'd suggest you book earlier rather
than later

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:36 PM
Howard Garland

Weddings wrote:

My family and I want to go on a 7 day Carribean cruise next July out of
Florida or east coast. I have heard that is a great time (fewer people
cruising) and I have heard it is a horrid time (lots of people cruising). I
don't know who to believe. Advice appreciated..

Truth is that this is now the most popular time for Caribbean cruising
(except for Christmas and New Years weeks). Add to this, the fact that
many ships move to Alaska and Europe for the summer, and you get premium
pricing. I'll let the TA's respond to the rest of your post.

Howard

Old November 1st, 2003, 04:25 AM
William W. Wright

As a new cruiser, be sensitive to the fact that ships have different cabin
sizes - the cabin in our first cruise was 118 sq. ft --Wow !! thought that
this was standard and totally unacceptable --later found out that 175 -180
Sq. Ft are generally available on certain ships -could/should be factor
when selecting a ship --

Bill